Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing least toxic pigments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Patrick1

Are there any pigments which are completely nontoxic in terms of skin contact? I’m asking about oils & acrylics. I always wear gloves when painting, but still sometimes get some skin contact – especially when washing the brushes.

I can guess that synthetic iron oxide pigments are nontoxic but I read that manganese in some earth colors is slightly toxic.

Or…is the medium the more important factor? Do some brands of oils contain nothing but pigment and linseed oil?

Pinguino

Your best bet is to look at the MSDS for each one (called by a different name in Europe). There’s also the California Prop 65 warning, which actually applies to long-term harm rather than immediate toxicity.

Toxicity is also quantity dependent.

As for additives, many oil paints contains some small amount of siccative, especially when the pigment itself has no siccative properties (as is typical of titanium dioxide, ivory black, and synthetic organics). The tiny amount of (presumably) cobalt is unlikely to cause harm, but might provoke a warning.

The real problem is liability. A manufacturer is likely to place warnings where not needed, rather than omit warnings. Just recently, in California, there has been legal action regarding whether coffee (yes, coffee) must have a legally-mandated cancer warning. A similar issue has arisen with regard to toast, and powdered ginger (spice in jars).

I doubt if many (or any) readers here, including myself, are much of an authority on this.

Ellis Ammons

To my knowledge if it says it “conforms to astm d4236” that means that it lists any hazardous materials on the msds. You can have a look at M. Grahams msds here http://www.dick-blick.com/msds/DBH_SDS_01573XXXX.pdf
                it lists hazardous materials and paints containing them. Like cadmium and zinc. Even titanium white contains zinc and is toxic. Zinc is also sold as a vitamin supplement. I think the main ones you have to worry about are those that say they cause cancer like cadmium and cobalt. But I think you have to breath in large quantities of the stuff. I don’t know of any manufactures of artists oil paint that don’t have some toxicity

I personally don’t worry about it. I just try to not eat it and get it into cuts. Wear a mask if I’m airbrushing.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                oil and acrylic paintings..

Humbaba
                    Ellis Ammons

I own several packages of this paint, not the pro line, but it says non toxic:

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Art-23-0601-12-Count-Premium/dp/B002MYEBVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529343581&sr=8-1&keywords=sargent+oil+paint[/url]

Just a guess but I would say their paints are made with dyes not actual pigments.

Ellis Ammons

Or…is the medium the more important factor? Do some brands of oils contain nothing but pigment and linseed oil?

Oh I missed your question… Yea M. Graham oil paints are just oil and pigment. A few have non-toxic alkyd in them. Some brands do put toxic solvent into the paint.

Toxic pigments are toxic no matter what medium it’s in. Cadmium is just as toxic in acrylic as it is in oils.

Humbaba

Just a guess but I would say their paints are made with dyes not actual pigments.

I am sorry, I have not taken the time to check that, I used this for practice due to small children in the room. I cannot confirm if these colors are permanent.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/sargent-art-oil-color-set/#description

Patrick1

Thanks everyone – that’s the kind of info I’m looking for – esp the use of cobalt siccatives which seems to be a common ingredient in some oil paints. M. Graham just oil & pigment: that’s what I want. I’ll take this to the Oil Painting Forum.

kin3

oil paint and children are toxic. Oil paint doesn’t come off them or everything else in the room.

Pinguino

One correction: AFAIK, Zinc Oxide is non-toxic in reasonable quantities. In fact, it is the ingredient used in some sunscreens, burn ointments, and other cosmetics. It is sometimes used as a dietary supplement, but its zinc is less bio-available that some other zinc compounds.

However, that zinc oxide is highly refined, specifically for pharmaceutical usage. The problem is that less-refined zinc oxide is likely to contain other materials that are toxic, particularly lead compounds. It would be the less-refined materials that are used in paint, although I suppose that manufacturers could use the more expensive pharmaceutical grade, if they wished.

Ellis Ammons

One correction: AFAIK, Zinc Oxide is non-toxic in reasonable quantities. In fact, it is the ingredient used in some sunscreens, burn ointments, and other cosmetics. It is sometimes used as a dietary supplement, but its zinc is less bio-available that some other zinc compounds.

However, that zinc oxide is highly refined, specifically for pharmaceutical usage. The problem is that less-refined zinc oxide is likely to contain other materials that are toxic, particularly lead compounds. It would be the less-refined materials that are used in paint, although I suppose that manufacturers could use the more expensive pharmaceutical grade, if they wished.

Email m.graham and tell them. I’m sure theyll be delighted you know more than the toxicologist that made them put it in the MSDS.

Patrick1

Humbaba…those seem to be scholastic-grade oils…but if they list the pigments I might be interested.

Pinguino

Email m.graham and tell them. I’m sure theyll be delighted you know more than the toxicologist that made them put it in the MSDS.

Have a look at MSDS from other manufacturers as well. Also have a look at the Gamblin MSDS for zinc oxide pigment (sold as pigment, not paint. And while you’re at it, be sure to look at the MSDS for Johnson’s Baby Powder.

As for the Graham MSDS (for walnut oil paints), the warning for zinc is “Overexposure may result in fever, chills, muscular pain or nausea.” Much the same can be said about anything.

Ellis Ammons

Have a look at MSDS from other manufacturers as well. Also have a look at the Gamblin MSDS for zinc oxide pigment (sold as pigment, not paint. And while you’re at it, be sure to look at the MSDS for Johnson’s Baby Powder.

As for the Graham MSDS (for walnut oil paints), the warning for zinc is “Overexposure may result in fever, chills, muscular pain or nausea.” Much the same can be said about anything.

if you think i give a rats behind about lead you are sorely mistaken.. there are bigger fish to fry.

There are reasons oil painters are dying of breathing problems. It’s sad. You need to realise how real the dust is from this stuff. Silicosis is real. Its like glass getting lodged in your lungs so you can’t breath. It never goes away and you don’t know it’s there until its to late. The paint manufacutures aren’t putting it on labels because its below government regualtions. But thats bs in and of itself. There is no below limit.. It’s glass stuck in your lungs… It’s lies to make money at the expense of your death. 100 men die from silicosis a year and how many of us are effected. No one will study this. This is all you get. [:)

There is a huge difference between a little bit of trace lead. And glass that gets stuck in your lungs.

Mythrill

if you think i give a rats behind about lead you are sorely mistaken.. there are bigger fish to fry.

There are reasons oil painters are dying of breathing problems. It’s sad. You need to realise how real the dust is from this stuff. Silicosis is real. Its like glass getting lodged in your lungs so you can’t breath. It never goes away and you don’t know it’s there until its to late. The paint manufacutures aren’t putting it on labels because its below government regualtions. But thats bs in and of itself. There is no below limit.. It’s glass stuck in your lungs… It’s lies to make money at the expense of your death. 100 men die from silicosis a year and how many of us are effected. No one will study this. This is all you get. [:)

There is a huge difference between a little bit of trace lead. And glass that gets stuck in your lungs.

Please note that fumed silica bound to linseed oil is safe though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.