Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The wet and dry

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Using inkense stick with a wet brush and also some pastels from a few weeks ago. Our sessions have been a bit sporadic, and I am going this afternoon.

4 x 3 minutes pastel

3 x 15 minutes
    inktense

pastel

2 x 25 minutes
    inktense
    pastel

thanks for looking! :wave:

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

a nice batch of sketches Bethany, accurate, expressive and colourful, I do like the facial studies… and No’s 4,5 &7 :thumbsup:

Mac

Thanks for taking a look, Mac! I can’t help it- the challenge of getting a believable face gets me every time.

bethany
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

ArtistOz

Nice studies Bethany. I’ve never used Inktense pastels? I’ve heard they are good to work with.

Bill,
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
        Instagram, billwperry

Thanks for the look, Bill.
        The inktense sticks go on like soft wax crayons. They are highly pigmented so I sometimes get a shock when I use the wet brush which makes the colours strong.

bethany

Constance

Nice! I like your face studies too!

Instagram: unsuspectingstrangers

123harry

Good solid set again, Bethany. Your mix of media works well. The seated back view is humorous and touching but my pick is the final study. Excellent suggestion of light.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

Thanks for the kind words, Constance!

I appreciate your comments, Harry– thanks! They are my favourites as well. As for the light- can you tell I am in charge of the model set-up and the light position?

bethany

Yes lighting is great Bethany, not a luxury i enjoy ;)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                Instagram
                https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Hi David– I think the light is so important for what I need to draw with.
                Our small group was donated a large piece of black-out cloth which is used in the movie-making business. It hangs behind the model. With the black backdrop and the light in position, I have some hope to get something believable.

bethany

123harry

Yes, I’m increasingly aware of how important the lighting is for figures and portraits. unfortunately good old Mike (see my description of our life group) doesn’t see it the same way. I wish I was in charge of that!

C&C always welcome.
                    Instagram harry.hamill

We surround the model and the room has awful overhead lighting. They used to add a spotlight but its always going to shine in somebody’s eyes and anyway, it wasnt poweful enough to kill the overheads. the group is usually too big to allow us all to draw from the same direction. Yes Harry, good lighting is essential, Rembrant knew what he was doing…

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                    Instagram
                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

That makes me feel grateful for sure! Our group is so small and no-one else really wants to worry about the light set-up. As it is vital to me, I take charge of it.
                    If I had my way there would not be other sources of light either, but we do need to be able to see our easels!
                    We have half-curtains and daylight coming through windows on three sides- and on these winter afternoons we need to turn on the overhead fluorescent lights. Then I lose some of the wonderful shadows- can’t be helped.
                    I will just have to set up my own arrangement and hire a model!

bethany

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.