Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Can I set ink using a heat press or kiln?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So, I currently make and create mugs with paint pens. I’ve use basically all there is out there, I bake them in the oven at 360* for 35 minutes, and I even slightly sand them with fine grit sandpaper before drawing the designs. However, NOTHING makes them dishwasher safe, and even just hand washing them gently seems to scratch the design off. I’ve been trying to think outside the box to make them more durable. I’ve tried a top coat, but those easily wash off. I am now contemplating between getting a kiln and getting a sublimation heat press. Of course I would use the mug press the way it’s supposed to be used, but could I also use it to set the ink for mugs that I’ve drawn on with paint pens? Also, for a kiln, can I use that to set the paint pen ink? Or would I have to put a glaze over that for optimal results. Would I even be able to reglaze an already glazed mug?

Sorry for all these questions! Any and all input is greatly appreciated!! Especially if you have a type/brand of heat press or kiln that you love.

Oh, and one last question! For the heat press, I heard that you could add something to the mug if is not a sublimation ready mug. What’s the best and does it work?

I hope I’m in the right place! I just discovered wetcanvas and decided to give it a try :)

gingery

I have no experience with what you are asking but I would suggest that you go to the manufacturer’s website of the paint pens you are using. If they don’t give you the info you need on their site, by all means call them. If you just guess that it would work, you might very well be out an expense that’s not going to solve your issues.
        I hope this can help you get the answers that you’re trying to solve.
        All the best,
        ginger

Nevadaglass

so to answer your question, I am unfamiliar with paint pens….I have tried the enamel paint pens and didn’t like them – they plug up and almost always never work. Having said that, I took a silk screening class a few years back In Las Vegas at the bead expo. We took Enamel powders and mixed with a medium ( Pine oil in class – but I have used a number of different oils as a mixing agent) you can then either, paint your designs on or as I do use a silk screen process to place the images on glass. Then bake in kiln at around 1000 degrees. Most ceramic glazes and ceramics fire ( I think at between 1800 and 2100 degrees) Glass kilns typically run around 1700 top temp.

I don’t know how high you can go before you would have to worry about your glazes,( since its been years since I did any ceramics) but if you could get your temps to around 1000 without damaging the glaze – you would be golden – might want to run a test…..

Terry 904

Hi PPD,

Sorry, but your name is way too long, you are asking some rare questions, but if anyone will know something about it, this will be Dcam, (Derek), you could PM him directly, he is most helpful.

Terry

artsask

Have you tried enamel paint for glass and ceramics? It has a picture of a wine glass on it I think it is acrylic based?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • The topic ‘Can I set ink using a heat press or kiln?’ is closed to new replies.