Home Forums Explore Media Scratchboard Art cutting ampersand clayboard?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Crias

I am starting a piece that I want to be square when it is done. I don’t have any square pieces. I was wondering what the best way to cut clayboard was? I always buy the precoated black ones, so am afraid it is going to totally destroy the edge ink. Anyone have experience or ideas on how to cut it without ripping up the edges?

Thanks in advance…

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Cathy Sheeter

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

Bertoni

Cathy:
            I hope someone replies with a good way of doing it. I’ve been looking too for the best way!!

Bertoni

Obedec

I actually took a 5×7 piece to my local gallery to see if they could cut it. According to the Ampersand site, you can. They did it with minimal damage on the cut edge, but they did say they did not want to make this something they would do all the time. I forget what they used, but it was not easy, and it was some sort of framer’s saw. I was going to try one with a dremel or with a fine blade…I might also send it down to my brother in law who does machining for airplane parts…surely a diamond metal cutter would work.

I believe you can also contact ampersand for special cut boards…that might be the easiest.
                Karen

This is one of the advantages to using Essdee Scraperboard (professional quality). You can easily cut it to any size and shape. The problem with using it with any liquid coloring medium is that Essdee is water soluable making it almost impossible to add color to their black coated board. However you can get their white board and blacken it your self with scratchboard inks. If you do not intend to color it the black coated board works fine. I actually prefer the Essdee for black and white work.

Diana

http://www.dianalee.com

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bertoni

I’m going to experiment cutting Claybord with a fine saw blade. Then a slightly ragged edge might not be a problem because it would be hidden by a mat if it’s framed with glass or by the frame where the Claybord is inserted.
                    What do you think? It seems to make sense?? I’ll see!

Bertoni

brushandknife

That seems like it would work for me too, Bertoni. I’ve also wondered about doing this. Let us know how it goes.
                        Carol

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Century Gothic][FONT=Book Antiqua]Whatever is true, noble, pure, and lovely- think about such things. Phil 4:8[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Trilby

I too have been curious about cutting anpersand boards, however, I’ve found matting it to the shape and size desired works just fine for the most part. “…as an Elephant’s Eye” is 5×9 but worked on a damaged 8×10 board with the damaged side hidden under a mat.
                            TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.

Garbonzo

I don’t know anything about the good scratchboard but if masking tape doesn’t peel the black coating off you might put a strip of it along the edge you plan to cut. Use a razor blade knife to cut along the edge of the tape to score the board then try to saw the board with a small saw. Remove the tape after the board is cut and it should preserve the edge. Use 2 pieces of tape and cut in between them if you are trying to preserve both pieces of board. I don’t know if I explained that very well but it might work. It keeps very fine, thin layers of wood from splintering when sawing. I’m new here so I don’t know anything about good scratchboard.

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]HAROLD FARLEY MSA
                                www.haroldfarley.weebly.com

Obedec

You may not know anything about good clayboard, but good sense is good sense…I wish I’d read your message this morning, I just met a woodworker at a show that might be able to cut some for me. I got his e-mail address. We might have something going here. Brilliant Idea, Harold.
                                    Karen

Garbonzo

Thanks Karen. I thought it was worth mentioning. Hope it helps.

Trilby

Charles Ewing cuts his with a band saw, a jig saw would work as well.
                                            TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.

wyncia

I cut it with a craft knife, before it has art work on it. Wyncia

Wyncia Clute
                                                Boulder, Colorado

Crias

Wow this is REALLY an old thread (2006)!! Lol… I use a band saw now-a-days!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Cathy Sheeter

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

Garbonzo

I put painters tape on both sides, draw my cut line and use a flushcut handsaw. They have fine teeth, make a smooth quick cut. Clamp a straightedge along your cut line if you worry about getting off line. sand the edge and you are ready to get to work. ;) if you dont have access to a bandsaw.

ggart4u

I also have my hubby use painter’s tape. It messed up on the edges without it.

-Ginger Gehres, ISSA-MSA; AWA-Associate w/Distinction;
                                                            GingerGehres; Facebook - Visual Bard Page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.