Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Transferring from tracing paper

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hmshood5

How does one transfer a drawing from tracing paper onto drawing paper?

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

123harry

The way I’ve done it in the past:

Cover the back of the drawing in soft graphite (block or soft pencil rubbed on. It really only needs to be where the lines on the tracing are)

Tape the tracing to your paper or board with the graphite covered side in contact with the paper.

Draw firmly over the traced lines with a fairly well sharpened hard pencil.

Remove the tracing.

This should transfer the image quite well.

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

You can also buy graphite paper which is like the old carbon paper except with graphite – basically the same thing Harry spoke of except it’s an art product – (transfer paper). Put it between your tracing paper and the production paper and go over the tracing.

fedetony

Ken Does the graphite transfer paper have a wax? if so, it is difficult to erase after ?…
                I do what harry said, yet, I use charcoal instead of graphite, and I use a ball pen to delineate because you will see where you have already made the tracing.

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Wassie

I do what Harry says using a soft graphite. Then I use a colored ball point pen to go over the tracing so I can see what I have transferred. I find that the graphite transfer paper is too hard to erase.

Or if your final paper is not VERY thick… use a lightbox.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Ken Does the graphite transfer paper have a wax? if so, it is difficult to erase after ?…
                    I do what harry said, yet, I use charcoal instead of graphite, and I use a ball pen to delineate because you will see where you have already made the tracing.

I only used it once many years ago for transferring a drawing for a watercolor and found I had pushed too hard because the transferred lines were way heavy. Then again this was before I learned to draw so I can’t say much about my method beyond that. But the lines seemed to erase well enough as I recall.

The product I linked to is only a few bucks so it wouldn’t be expensive to order a package next time you need something and give it a try. I do know that the piece I had was larger than the transfer and would have lasted through a number of uses if I had wanted it to. But that was my first and last watercolor so I no longer needed it. These days I don’t use any method to transfer except measuring for the left side eye and going from there so my suggestion hasn’t got a lot of mileage behind it … but I do know it worked fine for what I needed at the time.

deke

I use the graphite, filling in the back of my tracing completely crosshatching. I then take a piece of tissue and gently wet it with “Lighter fluid” and rub the back. This creates a carbon and leaves no graphite powder at all. Works great!

budigart

I avoid graphite/pencil lead if favor of charcoal. Graphite has a reputation for striking through paint later on. After transferring the drawing, I go over it with a small brush and raw umber. I let this dry overnight, and then lightly erase the next morning with a kneaded erasure, and go to work.

I avoid graphite/pencil lead if favor of charcoal. Graphite has a reputation for striking through paint later on. After transferring the drawing, I go over it with a small brush and raw umber. I let this dry overnight, and then lightly erase the next morning with a kneaded erasure, and go to work.

To avoid that seal the graphite with fixative spray.. Then use a clear gesso over the fixated surface (to recover the gesso texture). The gesso must be transparent enough for you to barely see the graphite under it while you paint. The calcite in the gesso blocks it better than the paint.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

katwalk

You can also make your own carbon paper, get a white sheet of parchment paper, other papers may also work, cover the paper with a layer of vine charcoal, (soft works best), rub it into the paper with your fingers, shake off excess carbon. When you transfer the drawing to your final working paper use a kneaded eraser to remove excess carbon, all you want is a light drawing to use as a guide.

Merriweather

I use tracing paper for working out the composition of a painting. and I employ the method in #2 above. The other usefulness of having a tracing paper, is that you can use it to change where your objects are to be…for example, if you sketch out a drawing, and then go to trace it, but meanwhile, you see that your composition or whatever could be improved, you can use your tracing to move objects about on the page before you trace . This means that you are giving yourself options that you can choose what objects work better and where they could be better placed.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.