Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Portrait Sculpture: John F. Kennedy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JMM

Hey Everyone!
        I was searching for something to sculpt and my wife suggested JFK. Here is the completed clay:

JMM

Beautiful work!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

JMM

Hey Virginia!
            Thanks so much for looking and your comment!

JMM

selectedgrub

Next level.
                Thanks so much for sharing,

ArtsyLynda

Beautiful, and a good likeness! My one comment would be that the left ear looks a bit too low. Think of him wearing glasses. The left temple piece would have to go down to sit on his ear instead of being level. Look at him from the front. His head is tilted but his ears are level with each other. Thankfully, it shouldn’t be hard to fix. Keep up the great work!!

JMM

Hi Selectedgrub!
                        Thanks for the comment!

Hey ArtsyLynda!
                        I appreciate your helpful comment. Unfortunately, JFK had two ears that were not the same size and his right ear was longer then the left so when is head is level, his right ear is higher then the left. I also want to point out that his right eye is not aligned with his left eye in the sculpture. In the numerous photos I printed to do this sculpture, I noticed that his right eye exhibited what is termed a “lazy” eye. After researching the web this was cited so I included the appearance in this sculpt.
                        Thanks so much for looking and your comments!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

Wow, well done on knowing your details! I’ve never spent any time studying his face, so of course, I missed those details. Thanks for the explanation!

browndl

Very nice work.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes Romans 1:16
                                My Blog

talisman

Great work on this, it looks just like him, handsome and all the little imperfections that make up a person.
                                    Well Done!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                    C and C always welcome.
                                    My DeviantArt Gallery

JMM

Hi Browndl!
                                        I very much appreciate very much your dropping in and commenting on the piece!

Hey Talisman
                                        You figured me out and that is I tend to be “OCD” when it comes to details! I figure all the imperfections will add more to the realism of the piece. Thank you for the wonderful comment!

JMM

Good likeness! :clap: The slightly turned head with head tilted upwards with confidence is a great pose to have chosen. Sculpted well! If I had one small critique it would be to soften the upper lip indention (above the lips and below the nose) so that a soft shadow shows. Just a thought on that.

All those imperfections/details of the person really make the piece live. Thanks for sharing!:wave:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                                        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

JMM

Hey Sculpturedolls!
                                            Thank you so much for the comments and critique! I believe you’re referring to the philtrum and yes you were right. In the photos of JFK the philtrum is off center to the right nostril and creased about half down from the nose and then levels out to a soft disc surface. Thank you for the tip. Working on a piece like this and trying to capture fine detail, things get over looked. This was a hard piece to work with because he seemed to have more soft and rounded features that had to be worked subtly. Again thank you for the wonderful critique and comments!

JMM

You really know his face well! That “philtrum” is a piece of anatomy I often have to soften myself, either by not making it quite so deep or softening the edges so that the shadow isn’t so strong. You and I are both detail people to the extreme! :clap:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                                            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Pine Cone

Wonderful, thoughtful, faithful representation. Makes me wish things had turned out differently in our world :music:

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

honey hatter

JMM wonderful sculpt, I love the attention to detail you put in this piece. I did not know or ever notice in all the video I ever saw of him how his features weren’t asymmetrical, but that is true for most people. I love imperfection in art, it adds texture and life, and perhaps a need for the unattainable perfection of art.

"Oh look a white rabbit!"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.