Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Ron, or Rupe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Janby

I’m still practicing drawing on the Strathmore toned tan paper. I’m finding it great to work with so far and I’m learning a lot as I go along. Still no expert yet, and I almost ruined his eyes. I’m not going for photo realistic, just a likeness, which I think I’ve managed. The photo isn’t brilliant (as per usual), but here he is. Pencils used: Mechanical hb and 2b, plus white charcoal pencil. A soft make up brush was used to blend here and there.

Jan. C & c's always welcome.

Janby

The gradation is so much better irl and he hasn’t got a solid block of light down his nose! :o :rolleyes:

Janby

Got a better photo with my camera (strangely enough) rather than the phone pic I posted first. There was less light coming in on the right side, so the eye looks darker than it is, but they are both the same. (The shape is a bit off on the right iris as I had difficulty with that one for some reason, hence almost ruining it. In real life it doesn’t look as ‘off’ as it does on here :rolleyes:

talisman

This is great!
                    The toned papers are wonderful to work on, I like them also.
                    You have a wonderful soft touch on this and it looks fantastic!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                    C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

The color works with this nicely. Sometimes I see color that is garrish which jumps out and isn’t a pleasant sort of thing … this is better. I rather like the earlier photos better …

Well done, Jan! I like your use of colored paper.

Christel

123harry

Nice one.

C&C always welcome.
                        Instagram harry.hamill

Janby

This is great!
                            The toned papers are wonderful to work on, I like them also.
                            You have a wonderful soft touch on this and it looks fantastic!

Thanks Dianna, I love the quick results you get with this paper. I find I get bored very easily if something takes too long and have so many unfinished works in my folder. I now have to learn to take a step back every now and again, so I can see where the shading needs to go. I went a bit darker with him than I should have, but I’m still pleased with how he turned out.

Janby

The color works with this nicely. Sometimes I see color that is garrish which jumps out and isn’t a pleasant sort of thing … this is better. I rather like the earlier photos better …

Thanks Kennetico. I need to work on my photography skills :rolleyes: The paper is a nice tone, but so difficult (for me) to capture on camera. Both photos were taken last night in different rooms, so in artificial light. Not the best. The toned paper is great for drawing redheads, though :)

Janby

Well done, Jan! I like your use of colored paper.

Thanks Christel, it’s ideal for drawing redheads, although I did worry how I was going to manage it. Turned out to be really easy :)

Janby

Nice one.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Anne58

Very nice portrait Jan.

Frustrating though how difficult it seems to be to get a good representation of one’s drawing with cameras/scanners. (too blue, too yellow :lol: )

For not wanting to get realism I think you did a good job there.

Anne

Janby

Very nice portrait Jan.

Frustrating though how difficult it seems to be to get a good representation of one’s drawing with cameras/scanners. (too blue, too yellow :lol: )

For not wanting to get realism I think you did a good job there.

Anne

Thanks Anne :) I always struggle to get a good photo, if the paper colour is right, the contrast,etc, is way off!

deke

Wonderfull! very expressive! Love the softness of if!
                                                    Jan, you have a wonderful style!

Janby

Wonderfull! very expressive! Love the softness of if!
                                                        Jan, you have a wonderful style!

Thanks Deke, I really enjoyed drawing him and was amazed at how easy it was on the toned paper. I have a couple of other redheads in mind to draw at some point :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.