Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk What do you think is the best full set?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sarah

I have been pondering purchasing a full set for awhile now. But a full set of what? That is the question. So many things to think about. Will it finally be ‘enough’ colors and values? Will there be lots of colors I will never use (I use mostly neutrals). Will I be purchasing lots of sticks I already have (I have lots of Unisons, for example.). Can you purchase full sets and have the sticks you already have taken out for a lesser cost? Or are you better off purchasing a brand you know you like but don’t have that many of so you won’t be purchasing so many duplicates? Or is it even worth it to purchase a full set? I would be interested to know other’s thoughts on this. Have you acquired a full set of something? Was it ‘worth it’? I am talking normal artist grade pastels here, not Roche :)

sarahrosefineart.com

water girl

You will never have enough pastels :lol: :lol: :lol: . Rembrandt, Richeson, Sennelier, and Great American have half stick sets. You can purchase single sticks from Dakota Pastels, Dick Blick and Jerry’s Artarama.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

DBfarmgirl

If I had to do it over, I’d start with a full set of mount vision and add from there. It’s cheaper to do it that way than add open stock. there would be some I’d rarely use, so how much of a savings? Overall I like the color range of mount vision and find I reach for their greens before all others. (The 60-64 color is perfect to me). I use a large color range doing still life, landscapes, florals, if I worked with a smaller palette, most of a full set wouldn’t get used.

Maybe find someone willing to split a set in half? Then replace the half sticks with full ones as you use them.

It is MUCH easier to show restraint when buying paint that’s hidden in tubes rather than pastels, showing off all the wonderful colors, with all their beautiful subtle differences.

kcwhitney

I agree. I have the full set of Mount Visions, and love it. But I found I needed to enhance it with more darks. The Unison dark set was very good for that.

I also like the range in the full Rembrandt set. They are great with neutrals, and the full set would be cheaper, being smaller. They do vary in texture, but it isn’t that hard to adjust to that. And you do have to remove that “skin”.

(Art) "... isn’t a thing you set out to do and succeed in. It’s a thing that gets at you, that nags at you—and haunts you—so that you’ve got, sooner or later, to make terms with it. And then, for a bit, you get some peace—until the whole thing starts over again.”"

I view sets as a grouping of colors and pre-mixed tints, tones, shades and pure colors. Each set comprises a palette with a particular take or point of view. For example, all of Rembrandts shades are mixtures of pure color and black. This gives their set a certain look and gamut. Rather than continuing to add to the hoard, I’ve decided to live within the constraints of the sets I’ve gathered. The hope is that I will truly master the instrument that is each set is, knowing its strengths and weaknesses. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been overtaken with “buyers-i-tis” for years. It’s just that of late I’ve decided to really get to know the materials I already have.

John

Life is but a Dream

Can’t imagine having enough disposable income to buy the full set of Senneliers — but I would at least go for more than 80 which is the set I have now. But agree with John about Rembrandts. Much more likely to someday manage that!

Learn as if you were going to live forever. - Ghandi

I have often thought about this. If I won the lottery and could pick one complete set, which would it be? I would probably have to say Terry Ludwigs because I like them so much, and 750 colors? Wow. My second choice would be Unison because I use a lot of the colors they have available. Practically speaking though, I think the Rembrandt idea is a good one. I actually have a full set of Rembrandts that I got super cheap, through Craigslist. It’s the only complete set I have. It is an older set, but well cared for and beautiful, and I use it all the time. Rembrandts are the most popular pastel in the world, so there are lots of sets out there available second hand. You see them on Ebay all the time and they are priced all over the map, but they generally sell for about $1 per stick for the full stick sets. They never get anything close to full retail price, even for the larger sets. There is a set of 185 in my area for sale right now, and they are asking $200 for it. It is a nice set, almost new in a wooden box, and I doubt if they will get the full $200 for them. I can’t really tell how many pastels is a full set of Rembrandts, but I think around 225 or so. If you can pick up a full set second hand, which has been well cared for I think that would be the way to go. I’m with the others on this one, even if I had the money to buy a full set of some expensive brand, I probably wouldn’t go that way. I’m sure there are at least a couple dozen colors in a full set of anything that I would never use, so I would spend my money more wisely by getting really familiar with what I have and what I need, and then zeroing in on that. Always fun to dream!

franglais

I got a chuckle out of John’s “buyers-i-tis.” I, too, have been stricken with it. Lately, I have been adding individual colors…. and buying a few small sets of color groupings… mainly Richeson hand-rolled. When a package arrives in the mail, my wife has taken to asking, “Did we buy more pastels?” LOL

My pastels consist of sets of Rembrandts, Unisons, Senneliers and Terry Ludwigs for the most part. I don’t know that I would ever buy a full set, as there would be many colors I might never touch. At this point, I have plenty of choices…. until I sit down to do my next painting when, I’m sure, I will need some other elusive color and I will be searching for that one. Does it ever end? Even if I could afford a full set, I’d still be buying individual colors of various brands to test them.

Best to all….. Mike

I’m pretty sure if I owned every full set from every pastel company I would still be trying to find that one elusive color…

It’s funny, I wasn’t like this when I painted with oils and acrylic or anything else I’ve done in the art world. Art supplies have always been a favorite thing of mine as long as I can remember. Endorphins go off whenever I enter a nice store, the sights and smells and colors are so appealing in a way that is unique. I love building things and working on cars too, but I never got the same thrill from entering a hardware store or parts store. Art supplies give me a pleasure that is different. When I painted I loved a nice set of paints, and beautiful brushes were thrilling, but there is something about pastels. Since I’ve been using them I really have become obsessed. What is it about the pastels that makes me obsess so much?

JustinM

I think the answer all depends on how you paint.

I have full sets of Rembrandt, Sennelier, Schminke and Mungyo Handmade. The only one i use extensively is Rembrandt because for my style its a very ‘middle ground’ pastel. (oh and an old grumbacher full set)

I use bits and pieces from all the other sets but mostly for contrast (Highlights, shadows etc) and sparingly. So while i consider all of them to be valuable (and I am a professional, working artist) the one that made the most sense for me (and was also the least expensive) was Rembrandt. (

Others will have different opinions though, depending upon style and subject matter.

Justin Maas, SFCA, SCA, PDVC www.justinmaas.com[/url]
                            Follow me on Instagram Maas.Art on Instagram
                            Facebook: Facebook Gallery[/url]

Sarah

Thanks for all the responses:)

sarahrosefineart.com

Trond

Just to add to the confusion I’m going to suggest one more: I just got my first set of Girault pastels, and boy are these slender sticks nice. This is possibly the oldest pastel company too. So, now I’m drooling when I look at the full set :)

Sarah

Yeah, Girault is the one I want :) LOVE them!!!!! I just ordered the 120 Schminke half stick set, though….so I need to wait a bit :)

sarahrosefineart.com

Ron

My wife gifted me a full set of Mt Visions and I love them things! They are my “work horse” pastels and I use them in conjunction with Ludwigs and Richesion.
                                            They are medium softness and work on all surfaces and are not as expensive and the sticks are pretty big.

Some people advise not to get sets because there will be colors or tints you never use.

I like having sets because I have DISCOVERED colors that I like that I would not have purchased if just picking and choosing open stock. I like having access to all colors and tints…..I surprise myself in the colors I use sometimes. I would not have had this opportunity without full set of Mt Vision…Yes there are some tints I havent used yet…but that doesnt mean I wont use them in the future!

I also have the sennilier half stick 120 set that I use mostly for plein air. But they are so soft I have to really keep my heavy handed approach in check :)

Good Point! Having all the colors means you can choose one you might not normally choose. I’m surprised by how a color works all the time too, so having more opens up all those options, doesn’t it? Guess I’ll have to start saving…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.