WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Maine

Hails from United States
Re: Crystal Blue Persuasion WIP

That is really beautiful, Julie. I love it. Did you get it out of the RIL? I really want to do some more glass, but I can't find anything that really suits my fancy. I can't do it nearly as well as you have, though. I just like to play around.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful your piece is! Great job

In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero.
I am strong and wise, and I know no fear.
But the truth is plain to see,
She was sent to rescue me.
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Beautiful Berkeley, California!

Hails from United States

Ms. Crystal Pistol--as others have said (far better than I can), simply stunning!! I look forward to your lessons!
Lib
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States

SBJ, I stopped in to take a peek, didn't read the whole thread as I don't have time to meander anymore, but I gotta say, I'm floored!! Stunning work! I may have that terrible song stuck in my head from now on, but it was worth it! The contrast of the soft velvety petals and that sharp crystal-like glass is perfect! Keep up the beautiful work!

Stoy
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 03:39 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Thank you Michelle, and Libby, and Stoy- I'm glad you like the work. I'm mulling an article- we'll see what I come up with....
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Roy, Washington

Hails from United States

Sweet Baby, this crystal is so stunning. I am drawn to the green swirls in the crystal. you have done a wonderful job. You would never know we don't get sunlight up here...LOL..THanks too for your comment about stopping a painting if it isn't making it. I threw one away about 3 months ago and it still calls to me. I was doing an oil painting. I have decided to take it to the 2nd time around forum and try it in pastel. Than it will be happy with me. OH the haunting that these pics can do to us. LOL.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Yeah, well, I'm lazy and would rather put my energy into something which has a shot at succeeding rather than just being a waste of even learning what NOT to do. If over half of a piece succeeds, I feel it was worth the effort, but some just aren't ready to be born yet. S'pose that's why I've always compared painting to labor and delivery- it's a lot of work and effort and pain- but when it all comes together, it's worth it.

Nice today- and blazing hot Sunday- they keep predicting rain but so far, we've not gotten any down here near Oly.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 02:51 AM
Enthusiast
Bedfordshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Julie, your painting is simply stunning, as is the previous one. I do hope you write an article, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you. And thanks for the tip on 'upping the stats', would never have thought of that but it really shows up the colours.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 11:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks, Joy- I'm considering it, but have to do it soon 'cause I'm getting tired of crystal FAST. lol
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
Thanks, Joy- I'm considering it, but have to do it soon 'cause I'm getting tired of crystal FAST. lol
I have some Waterford Julie. I wonder how that would look with bright light pouring in on it. I have a feeling I would be pulling my hair out trying to paint that!

My Wet Canvas Gallery
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

...I wonder if my oh-so-snooty youngest sister would send me some of her Lalique? 'Course, that would entail actually speaking to her- not something I enjoy.

I'm always surprised she doesn't have a "servant's entrance" on her phone....
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portland OR

Hails from United States

The snottiness of so-called friends and relatives transforms magically when the artist begins to make money. Which just shows how wallet-deep those attitudes are.

Sooo--- Julie, Are you taking these pieces to that gallery I mentioned?

http://kittywallis.blogspot.com/
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 05:15 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ
...I wonder if my oh-so-snooty youngest sister would send me some of her Lalique? 'Course, that would entail actually speaking to her- not something I enjoy.

I'm always surprised she doesn't have a "servant's entrance" on her phone....

sibling rivalry is such a tricky arena. I watched my mother and her sister, and now I watch my two daughters, and see it in action. I have decided that a lot of it is to do with jealousy ... one sister feeling inadequate . I wonder if your sister actually envies you your talents as an artist. If she doesn't have something special to call her own, (of this kind), she may well find it really, really hard to cope with your abilities and her lack of them.

Just ignore my potted psychology if I am way off the mark here ... I just think it is such a shame when sisters don't get on. I wish I had sisters to get on with but am also glad I don't have sisters I dislike.

Jackie
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 06:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I've been in touch, Kitty; Tom sounds like a very nice man, and Leslie is supposed to be in touch by the end of this week. I'm planning a trip up just before they open.

My youngest sister, (I have three), has always, always been venal- she broke up with a guy one year because he got her "the wrong watch" for Christmas, and besides, she didn't like his car. She is very, very succesful financially- wildest dreams stuff- and cannot understand why everyone in the family can't just drop everything and join them in Florida for a week long Disney cruise. When we were all kids, she had a fun sense of humour and was "part of the gang"- the last few times I've seen her, she rarely smiles and doesn't laugh at any of our antics. I am nearly 7 years older than she, but most people think she is older- her face is pinched and her expression closed and guarded.

All six of us kids have *something* artistically- whether it was in the eye or in the hands- we each have "something". My brothers both can work wood as my father did, one sister is a nationally recognized woodcarver, another has that "decorator sense- interiors make sense to her. This youngest sister was good with colour and pattern- some of the abstract work she did in high school was amazing. I've seen or heard nothing of such work since. Her house is perfect, her hair is perfect, her car is perfect, her job is perfect, her furnishings are perfect- and she pays plenty to see they are kept that way. Apparently, though, money didn't buy her happiness, just financial comfort. Sometimes I wonder if, for her, that is the same thing. She collects LaLique and "opalescent vaseline glass" (and whatever car is a must have each year), be sure it is opalescent, or she will actually send it back to you with a note explaining where you went wrong (this happened to another sister- she sent a gift certificate instead). One sister can be- hmmmm- friendly with her, the other is like me- we only speak when spoken to, and my two brothers let their wives handle it.

She once told me it was too bad I had married military, and we moved so often and the pay was so low. I just smiled, while thinking: "I've had lunch in Paris, I've been to the Louvre, I've toured St Peter's and explored London and Spain- you have your name on a board of directors- tell me who is richer?"

After this many years, and this many snubs, most of us just accept she is "different"- but that doesn't mean we go out of our way any longer to be friendly. Some brick walls aren't worth trying to beat down with your head. I can promise you, if my work ever became a "must have" of the art world- she'd have it, but until then, it isn't worth even a glance to her- it hasn't been "approved" by her caste-system.

On the other hand, the rest of my siblings wish I'd again send works for Christmas gifts... It evens out.