WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:53 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Cheapest Artist's Grade Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
I'd like to ask a highly related question: if the only time I'll use turpentine will be to remove dammar varnish, is the hardware store kind OK?
it is better for removing dammar varnish than artist turp which is more distilled, thus less volatiles than hardware turp.
I would use caution when using acetone/toluene, since they will be more prone to dissolve paint itself, especially thin glazes.
Test a small area with a q-tip whatever you use, it should have little or no paint residue after scrubbing the area.
The degree of varnish solubility will determine what any conservator uses, providing no paint is removed. Varnishes become less soluble with age.
They always start with the lowest solvent dissolving power and then slowly graduate upwards until paint is disturbed, and then stop.
The hierarchy is basically OMS, mineral spirits, turp, mixtures with stronger solvents, etc., but alcohols and acetone will remove paint nicely.
A suspended mixture of turp, denatured alcohol (methanol mix) and water will dissolve paint. I use it to remove paint for repainting.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 08-15-2019 at 11:02 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Since we're on the topic of the best inexpensive turpentine, I'd like to ask a highly related question: if the only time I'll use turpentine will be to remove dammar varnish, is the hardware store kind OK?
https://cool.conservation-us.org/waa.../wn11-202.html

About low molecular weight varnishes:
https://www.conservation-wiki.com/wi...ight_Varnishes

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-16-2019 at 05:06 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2020, 09:25 PM

This "Klean Strip" product is in the household paint aisle in Walmart. Gave it a shot since it specifically says it's for art paints. Poured some in a glass and let it evaporate, didn't leave anything behind that I couldn't be sure wasn't there to begin with. $7 per quart works for me.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM

The guy on the can looks like part time mural abstractionism painter, part time furniture mover.