WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2020, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Limmen

Hails from Netherlands
Sean Connery (x-posted in Portraiture)

In order to practice a looser style of painting I made the attached oil portrait of Sean Connery. It was obviously made from a photograph on canvasboard sized 30 * 40 cm.
Comments as usual appreciated.
Thanks for passing by.
Hans
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 AM
Enthusiast
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Re: Sean Connery (x-posted in Portraiture)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans van Aartsen
In order to practice a looser style of painting
Hans, first let me say, I am on the path of learning to paint, I am NOT a master or professional at all.
I am being honest because I have seen some of your work, and you look like you genuinely care about drawing and painting, and so I think: you are on the path too, which I respect.
My opinions, are not the opinions of a learned teacher or pro, bear that in mind.
So, disclaimers finished, I notice the phrase "trying to be looser" and its variations are VERY OFTEN used by people on this board.
It is practically an obsession, recently one quite talented poster deliberately removed his glasses, making himself half blind, in an effort to make his painting "looser".
PLEASE understand, looseness comes from having painted hundreds of pictures. Thousands of drawings. Not from trying to adopt "looseness" as a style. If you could count up all your paintings, do you have hundreds?
Do you have bulging folios or giant stacks of sketchbooks full of practice drawings?
That is where "looseness" comes from.
So get to work.
Paint a picture a day for the next year, paint sincerely, forget style, look for information, look for good colour and composition, and a sincerity of approach.
After a year, with your 365 paintings, you will ACTUALLY be looser, not just pretending.
If this is not what you want to hear, accept my apologies for being annoying, and move on, but it is nevertheless my belief.

:::
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Limmen

Hails from Netherlands

Oh boy Jeffro. I am afraid you open quite a can of worms here. Your disclaimers and apologies are obviously accepted.
Let me throw in my opinion on the subject:
The term 'looser" may be somewhat misleading. What I really mean here is "painterly". Having painted for about 25 years now I came to the conclusion that especially my portraits more and more were resembling a photograph. See this example: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1399283.
I might as well have taken my camera. Although the resemblance was spot on and I technically did a proper job (I think) it was not what I wanted. It should be a painting and look as such.
Since taking up lessons with a professional some three years ago, I feel I am slowly getting there, but with a lot of practice, as you rightly comment.
For many people ultra realistic paintings may be the right thing, for other people (and I am one of them) not. As long as all have fun in the process, because that is what counts!
That's it for now.
Regards,
Hans
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Thanks for being understanding Hans, I'm afraid I shot my mouth off a bit there.
I remember as a student being harassed to be "looser" in drawing class, and everyone ended up with a ghastly stylized collection of over-exaggerated lines.
True looseness came only after years of hard work, so the idea that it can be adopted somehow, you can see that riles me up
Yes, of course I see what you mean, a solid painterly approach is something worth working for.
Having lessons from someone you trust is always a good idea, I am glad to hear it.
I have a suggestion, too (which like many suggestions, can be ignored )
But I too had a good teacher once, and this was one of his exercises:
Sometimes he made us paint fast.
REALLY fast.
He said that if we painted fast, we would have to forget our mannerisms and tricks, in order just to scramble to get the job finished.
So we would have half an hour to do a complex still life, or posed model.
We'd paint like crazy, and in the end there was plenty of bad paint, but also some parts that we thought: "woh, I can't believe I painted that!"
Not a bad exercise if you want to loosen up.

All the best, and I like the portrait of Liesanne, it has sincerity

:::
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

I love a painterly style, sometimes described as loose. I think this only applies to the actual brushstroke, not the accuracy of the drawing and composition. No amount of thick paint can hide that