Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Hanging canvas panels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    perrottk

Hi,
        This may be obvious to the more experienced painter, but not to this newcomer.
        I have done a couple of paintings on canvas panels (backed by card rather than wood). Now I want to hang them and can’t think how to do it. The card is not thick enbough to screw in eyelets or to use staples. Is there any glue which would be strong enought to hold a hanging wire? Or is there another way of doing it without framing.
        Look forward to your help.
        Ken Perrott
        Hamilton
        New Zealand.

Quiet

Try nails: two small ones at the bottom, that the panel sits on top of, and then two more at the top, with the heads overlapping the front of the painting to keep it from tilting forward and falling off. That’s four holes in the wall to fill with toothpaste when you move out instead of just one, but it will allow you to hang your panel without damage from glue or holes poked through it.

Give back to your community - be a virtual mentor! http://www.icouldbe.org/start.asp

jeff m

Or “swiss corner clips”

Jeff
                [FONT="Georgia"]I paint in two genres, careless and reckless. C & C essential

Panels are meant to be framed.

Though I have used to nail method to hang a painting on hardwood board, just balancing it on 2 nails.

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

DustyRose

Jeff…

What are “swiss corner clips”?

Thanks
                    DustyRose

jeff m

Dustyrose,

They are clips that usually come in a pack of four.
                        One for each corner of a board or unframed panel that has it’s own rigidity.
                        A wire or cord is then threaded or passed through each clip and pulled tight.

When looking at the back of the painting you will have a cord or wire 3or 4inches in from each edge running all the way round from which the painting can be hung in the usual way.
                        From the front you see two small prongs at each corner but hardly noticable.
                        They seem to be a mail order item only and are about $4.80 – 7+ a set.

I only wanted a few so I just made my own from plastic covered wire from Sears, Cost $3.50 ……… for more than I’ll ever need.

My method is not good enough for a room that matters, but ok for getting them up off the floor.
                        If my explanation was not understandable, just ask again.

Cheers

Jeff
                        [FONT="Georgia"]I paint in two genres, careless and reckless. C & C essential

Just don’t pull that string too tight. I had a 9×12 Fredrix canval panel mounted in those clips for about 3 months – and it became convex.
                        It didn’t get ruined though. A regular frame will hold it flat.

John

Gillette

I have successfully glued small strips of light wood to the back and then screwed eyelets in each end and threaded nylon cord through.The straight strip across the back about 2/3rds up helps to stop curving. These have sold and the purchaser can make their own decision on framing, but they don’t look too bad unframed, hope this helps. Jane.

Godzoned

I have framed mine with “Warehouse” wooden frames. $25 each 11″ x 14″ size. Very nice price and moulding.

I take the glass and backing board out of the frames and slip the canvas panel into it. Then take my handy gum paper and finish it off nicely and put eyelit screws into the frame and string up. Looks like the framers has done it for just a fraction of the cost. :wink2:

I have however currently got some panels unframed and held on my wall by 4 thumb tacks. Not through the panels but the panels are “resting” on them. Hope you know what I mean. :D

bjcpaints

I agree with Godzoned (Debbie). I just can’t figure out what to do with all the leftover pieces of glass I have now since I have been collecting frames :confused: . Sure I could use 1 or 2 as pallets but I have so many pieces now and no place to store them I am afraid they are going to get broken – guess I should just dispose of them somehow.
                                    Barbara

Barbara
                                    "Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life. There are as many solutions as there are human beings."
                                    George Tooker 1920 - 2011

nuttyshae

How about using acrylic enamel craft paint and painting the glass as the forground to something the paint on paper fo the background. It might be cool! Just a thought. or I practice my new strokes on glass. so I can trace over other pictures to break down a technique.
                                        :o
                                        Going back in my cave now.
                                        -Shae

http://www.shaeimages.com

Guide

Push pins might be a good option as well. Especially the ones with the long points. The canvas can rest on the bulky part of the pin.

Another thought was to make a rectangle of mdf board. cut a hole out of the center much smaller than the canvas. Float the canvas over the mdf “frame” and then add eye hooks and wires to hang. I would certainly gesso and paint the mdf so it looked better but oh the possibilities of that. Could be a most interesting way to present these panels.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

cunparis

Hi,
                                                This may be obvious to the more experienced painter, but not to this newcomer.
                                                I have done a couple of paintings on canvas panels (backed by card rather than wood). Now I want to hang them and can’t think how to do it. The card is not thick enbough to screw in eyelets or to use staples. Is there any glue which would be strong enought to hold a hanging wire? Or is there another way of doing it without framing.
                                                Look forward to your help.
                                                Ken Perrott
                                                Hamilton
                                                New Zealand.

I recently asked the same question but for masonite panels (in the oil forum). For a small panel, I think one of the best ideas is to glue two small pieces of wood to it and then screw in thumbscrews to the wood and attach the wire for hanging. Only problem is if you later take it down, you can’t store the panel flat for storage. So I’m still thinking on this one. I like to hang recent works, replacing the older works which get “put away” some place.

-Michael

gnu

Here’s what I’ve done..
                                                    Either glue to a piece of wood cut to size,
                                                    or
                                                    use a ready made ‘clip’ frame, one with glass, a backing board and clips that graps each edge. Replace the backing board with your panel and voila!
                                                    each clip has a hole for haonging on to a small picture hook.

SilverLady

Barbara,
                                                        Try taking three, sheets of glass the same size. Do a painting on these as 3 D.
                                                        Once you have painted on glass one, put the second one on top then you can see where to add things. Then put the next one on top and then finish the painting.
                                                        SilverLady

Ken, try the little clips used to hang a mirror on the wall. One without a frame. They are clear.

Silverlady

Only God painted perfect pictures. I enjoy them daily
                                                        I paint to have fun. Happiness is a brush in the hand with a little color on it and something to put it on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Hanging canvas panels’ is closed to new replies.