Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Bead work?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ellen E

So far I’ve mostly been active in the Watercolor area, but I posted some of my beadwork over there in a chat thread and one of the ladies suggested I post some pictures of my beadwork here. Is this the right area?

I’ll post a couple here right now and someone can redirect me if it’s the wrong place.

I started out using size 11 seed beads but then i switched over to using size 15 seed beads for a lot of my projects. Right now the smaller beads are so fascinating and intriguing that my size 11’s have been just stagnating in my craft closet but they’ll get their turn again when I dig out my bead looms.

These are just some examples of work that I happen to have in my computer and on a thumb drive. These are done with size 11 beads but i can upload some more in 15’s later when I get them photographed and into the computer.

The wedding neckpiece here is done in size 15’s though. I designed it myself and it was very shimmery and beautiful when done. The bride loved it. I’m planning to do more of these. I did one for a Halloween wedding that was a black bird with wings swept back to go around the neck and crystals dangling from the bird’s beak but I don’t have pictures.

Wow! Lovely beadwork Ellen. Ruth has done baed work, mainly necklaces and drop earrings.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Lena

Your bead work fits right in here and is lovely.

I have done some for my “dolls”. So I appreciate the work that went into this.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

These are amazing. Would love to see more.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Wonderful!

Good question about the right place for beads, but it works here for me! :angel:

Delighted to see your work. So much intricacy in beadwork.
                Jen

Jennifer Landau
                Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

EmmaTwo

I crocheted my daughter a beaded purse for her 2007 wedding.

http://ravel.me/Nana-Emma/a1

Ellen E

I’m sorry I haven’t been around to see and answer these posts. I’ve been having some medical issues that took me into and out of the hospital and I didn’t have much time or energy for posting.

Emma, that’s a very lovely purse! I haven’t tried crocheting with beads but I may one of these days. Maybe if I get stuck on something, you’ll be able to give me a helpful hint or two? :)

My next beading projects will be making barrettes. I love to make them and just give them as surprise gifts to neighbors or family members. I’ll be using both bead looms and free-hand styles.

My first barrettes will be for children though. I have great-grand-daughters so they’ll be first on my list. One of them is going to be two years old the middle of June. Her mom is a beautician but the little one took after me and was born without anything in the way of hair and even now, she’s really not got enough hair to hold a barrette but I’m going to work around that. I thought for awhile I might have to use suction cups on hers, (totally kidding) but she’s got enough hair now that I might be able to use velcro cut into tiny pieces. I’ve also got some tiny barrette blanks that I think if I use some of that stuff that keeps stuff from moving around (don’t know what that’s called) it will keep a barrette from just sliding out of what hair she does have, though. I didn’t have hair for quite awhile when I was a baby either so I guess she takes of me.

One of my neighbors has the most beautiful snow white curly hair. She brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries at Christmas and I was very pleased and surprised because I haven’t gotten to know her very well, but she’s going to get the first adult sized barrette I make.

Anyway, when I get some of them done, I’ll take photos to post.

My oldest daughter cleared out a lot of art supplies and gave them to me. I used to use oils years ago when I painted and I’m thrilled to have the ones she passed on to me. My youngest son’s wife died of melanoma in 2015 and she had a lot of art supplies that he gave my oldest daughter so she shared very generously with me.

Another thing she gave me was lots of yarn and some granny squares my first mother-in-law made but passed away before she made them into anything. I decided to make child sized afghans for the great-grandkids out of them. The project was kind of neat because my great-grandchildren are her great-great-grandchildren. I got the moms involved in the planning stage of the afghans and that makes the collaboration of three generations of grannies on each afghan.

I even took the granny squares into the hospital and kept working on them in the time that I was undergoing medical testing and such over the time I was in there. Since the first week of December, I’ve made 7 little afghans and two adult sized afghans. Then I made myself a bedspread. I’ve crocheted since I was five years old, and I’m 73 now, so I crochet really fast. I can almost do it blindfolded sometimes. lol The next crochet project will be for my little great-grandson who is due to make his appearance on April 16th or so. I’ll make his blanket from baby yarn, though.

Lena

You have been very busy in spite of being sick!

I used to crochet a lot but in the last year or two my wrist decided it didn’t like the motion. I still do it on occasion like to cast off shawls but not for big projects.

Granny squares however are very portable so great for hospital stays. And crochet doesn’t run if you drop a stitch!

My youngest had hair like you describe. She was nearly 2 before she had a hair cut and then only because the back curls were getting tangled. Have you considered a hair band? Not that that stayed on my kid’s head for any length of time….

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Ellen, so sorry you have been ill. All your plans for making sound great. Here’s wishing you good health this year so you can do all the things you want to do.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lovely, creative work.

Penny
                                I live in Wiltshire, England
                                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.