WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Re: can you show me?

Here is how I do it, others may have additional input. I use 3/32" mandrels that I have cleaned all of the carbon residue off of. It is very important that they are clean or you may get carbon deposit in your glass mixture.

I pre-cut the pieces that I am going to use. I usually take the largest piece and hold it with pliers and heat the end. At the same time I am heating the end of the mandrel. When both are heated, push the mandrel into the end of the glass, just far enough so that it will hold.

Then I slowly heat each piece of glass and attach it to the piece that has been secured on the mandrel. Once all pieces are attached I start getting it good and hot. While doing this start to pre-heat your other mandrel and once the gather starts to get molten, attach the second mandrel.

Rotate your glass in the flame and then start twisting as if you were making a twistie stringer, but do not pull. You want to twist and then melt back smooth a couple of times. Once you think it's looking pretty uniform in color, remove one of the mandrels and reposition it on the glob of glass and then do it with the other mandrel and start twisting and melting again.

I usually twist for 10 minutes to get a uniformity in color. Then I remove it from the flame and let it cool just a bit and then slowly pull really thick stringers. I can later heat those thick stringers up and pull the size that I want.

Let me know if you have any problems. I'm going to try mixing an ivory that won't suck up the colors today!!!

For me working with glass is a romance with a material as sharp as a knife and as fragile as a rainbow. Yet while I value the past and its tradition, I look to the present and the future possibilities for my inspiration. For me the work I produce is a physical manifestation of an exploration. The pieces are about the qualities of discovery and rare moments of magic. They are discoveries on a journey without road maps. Glass work takes me to these places, places where no airplane can fly.

Foofaraw Beads
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw
I'm going to try mixing an ivory that won't suck up the colors today!!!

Try mixing Moretti Ivory with Purple-Red at 4 or 3 to 1. You'll get a lovely peach (haven't had a chance to put it on the chart yet because my main computer died last night and we're having to reload everything. Unfortunately, I can't edit my web pages from my laptop.)

-Kay
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Lord of the Arts
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

for the ivory, I mixed white, violet and coral 4:3:1. I'm going to try that peach recipe though, is it lght or dark ivory?

For me working with glass is a romance with a material as sharp as a knife and as fragile as a rainbow. Yet while I value the past and its tradition, I look to the present and the future possibilities for my inspiration. For me the work I produce is a physical manifestation of an exploration. The pieces are about the qualities of discovery and rare moments of magic. They are discoveries on a journey without road maps. Glass work takes me to these places, places where no airplane can fly.

Foofaraw Beads
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast
Mc Calla, AL

Hails from United States

Thanks Dogsrlove. That sounds like a great combo.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

This is an example of dark amethyst over periwinkle. Also, if you add another layer of light blue transparent over it, it gets even more of a purple hue.

This is an example of Ink blue over EDP

Foofaraw Beads
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Mc Calla, AL

Hails from United States

Thanks Jenn, I really appreciate it.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 02:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States

Moretti pinks stink.

If you don't want to mix your own colors or layer a transparent over an opaque, I would suggest pink frit or pink enamel. A little goes a long way, so they're not as expensive as the hand-pulled colors and a lot more reliable color-wise.
Etsy
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Georgia

Hails from United States

PURPLE.

Hold onto your bippies... My Daddy *aka Glassdaddy* has this purple. It's not over any other color, and you're going to LOVE it! Limited quantities for now - but he's ordered a follow up shipment!
Attached Images

Last edited by kctori : 04-16-2004 at 03:28 PM. Reason: lost a photo..?..
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw
is it lght or dark ivory?

264 Ivory, which is what I guess you're referring to by light ivory. I have Dk. Ivory, and 3 other light colors set out on my worktable to test later today. Thanks for the ivory recipe. I'll give it a try tonight. It's one of the colors I wanted to try for. Next I'll try to work out a color combo for the Tequila Sunrise color of Coral.

-Kay
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Near the Beach

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctori
PURPLE.

Hold onto your bippies... My Daddy *aka Glassdaddy* has this purple. It's not over any other color, and you're going to LOVE it! Limited quantities for now - but he's ordered a follow up shipment!

Nice purple (nice beads,too ) What size are the rods?? A 10-15mm transparent purple would make animals assuming the color`s not too dense

Plato
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Georgia

Hails from United States

the rods I have here are 8.5mm... no bubbles & not shocky either, it's Lauscha!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Georgia

Hails from United States

the rods I have here are 8.5mm... no bubbles & not shocky either, it's Lauscha!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 04:40 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Jill, did you warn your father before you started a feeding frenzy over that purple?

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Georgia

Hails from United States

For those of you who have written...

http://www.glassdaddy.com
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

I need to applogize on the peach recipe. I was working from memory on that last message and I was slightly off. The correct proportions for the colors are 2 of Ivory and 1 of Purple-Red. I just did a test with the Dk Ivory (2 to 1 proprotions) and I got a muted shade of pink. I even did the test twice to make sure I was correct. Just when I think I can predict what color I will get when I mix with a new color, It doesn't do it. So, Peach with Lt and Muted Pink with Dark.

-Kay