WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States
Fun with color mixing; did I make canteloupe?

Hi All!
I read the canteloupe thread with interest, and decided by golly that there had to be a way to make some! I took #418 butter yellow and tried mixing it with coral (I used the older coral that looks a little gray in the rod), and Lauscha orange. Here is what I came up with:

I also tried mixing butter yellow, coral and a swipe or 2 or rubino, and ended up with a color that was more brownish, with dark streaks in it. It would have been ok except for the dark streaks, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Here is a bead I made with the first batch, butter yellow and coral 1:1 :

It is interesting that the peach dots turned into little stars! The darker dots were a cased stringer made from rubino over coral, so something in that might have reacted with the peach. The base is white.

Here's another test bead I made:

What I did was make a barrel of Moretti ivory, and wind the 4 colors of stringer around the bead in order. I started on the left with the 1:1 butter/coral, then used the butter y. w/a little coral (looks more yellowish), then the 1:1 butter/coral with a little L. orange. The darker band is where I used the butter/Lauscha orange with a little coral. I expected to see all 4 colors on the finished bead, but actually the first 3 colors ended up looking about the same; only the butter/Lauscha/coral mix looks different. It was a little disapointing, actually. I'll have to play around with these a little more and see what they do.

I also made a couple of mish-mash beads using all 4 colors. All you can really see is the light and dark, with some tiny dark spots. I don't know what caused those.

Even though the final test bead didn't turn out the way I expected, I still think I came pretty close to canteloupe! What do you all think? I've never seen a rod of it in person so I'm not really sure. But when I look at the stringers, it seems like either the first one or the last one in the photo look the closest. On the barrel bead, I think maybe the darker color wins the prize.

Has anyone else tried this?

-Patti

Edit: BTW, I used the Lauscha orange because it is translucent, as opposed to the Moretti orange opaque. I was hoping for more of a translucent look. I think Moretti orange would be next on my list to try. I'm pretty sure I bought the L. orange at Arrow Springs last year sometime.

Also, I wonder if using Moretti ivory as the base change the colors somewhat? I should try it again on white and see what happens!

Last edited by paskon : 07-24-2003 at 01:59 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
California

Hails from United States
Very interesting experimenting! I personally am not familiar with THE canteloupe color - so I can't judge...but I really like the colors you came up with. Lovely barrel!
sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - What a Ride! " -Unknown

The glass recovery fund...the fickle mistress Ebay
My Website - it's in a work in progress!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lewisville, TX

Hails from United States
Well, I don't know what 'canteloupe' color looks like, but I just LUUUUUV the new rods you made!!! I love the color of the rod in the middle picture, in your hand.

I need to ask a dumbdumb question - - so, how do you mix colors? I'd assume you melt 2 big blobs and moosh and squish until they're mixed and pull a rod (so, new rod in the middle, 2 mixing colors on each end)?? Am I even close?
Ginnovations.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States
That's pretty much it! I usually use the color rods I am using as punties. I did buy some stainless steel chopsticks and tried those; the problem was that the ends of the chopsticks turned black and the black stuff got in the mix. Also, I didn't like that some of the glass gets wasted because it's stuck to the chopsticks and doesn't get made into stringer.

I had to stick the ends of the chopsticks in the flame to warm them up so they would stick to the glass, and that's when they turned black I guess. Any suggestions on that?

Anyway, I went back to the way I've always done it and it worked fine. What I do is melt the ends of the 2 colors I want to mix, stick them together, soften, then push them towards each other so they overlap, melt that together, and do it again until I have as much glass as I want in my gather. If you want to add other colors I drop one end, melt the 3rd color and add it.

Then melt the gather; I twist it a lot to evenly distribute the heat. Just twist and smoosh until the lines disappear and it looks nice and smooth, and pull.

This way of doing it results in about a 1:1 ratio. The drawback is that it's difficult to be precise, but it works fine for me. I guess I'm just not a very precise person! I cook that way too...LOL

HTH!

How about it folks, anyone else tried to make cantaloupe?
-Patti
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 10:25 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States
great job...that looks like cantelope to me!

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States
Thanks so much for sharing your adventures in cantaloupe! I'm inspired to try color mixing myself!

I'll let you know if I cataloupe tomorrow (can't resist - cantaloupe - I'm already married!!!! - argh! argh! argh!)

:-) Cindy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2003, 12:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
Wow!!! You did a great job! Keeping notes (which I am lousey at) is a biggie when creating new colors.

Keep up the great work and mix on!!!!

Sara
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States
Haha...I'm usually the worst at keeping notes! I'm notorious for keeping everything in my head...unfortunately I guess my brain is getting kind of full and I've been forgetting things more lately!
I had to get it straight for this thread, though!

I haven't had time to try any other mixes...maybe tonight? I have 3 10 yr-old girls coming over this afternoon for a sleepover, but should have time to play later. I'll post the results tomorrow, but in general I like the combo of butter yellow and coral 1:1 with some Lauscha orange the best. I feel I should try it with some Moretti orange though, since most people wouldn't have the Lauscha color. I should also try to order some more of it...I hope it's still available! I'm down to about 30" of it. I have no moolah for glass right now though...sigh!

I just love mixing colors though...

Speaking of mixing colors, here's another cool one I discovered:
Lauscha cocoa and Moretti dark ivory. Believe it or not, it turns green! Looks a lot like copper green. I'll have to post a pic of that later too.

Cya--I'm off to plant flowers and make blackberry jam and cobbler!

-Patti
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States
Ok! I have tried to mix colors for the first time so bear with me! I think, though, with a little bit more mixing, I have a canteloupe!

I used all Effetre (Moretti): butter yellow (418), transparent orange and swipe of white in the mix.

The not-quite-fully-mixed color combinations have their own charm that I like very much - however, they need to be mixed a bit more to get a whole bead of canteloupe.

I enjoyed trying to do this! Thanks, Patti for suggesting it! :-)

Cindy
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
YountsvilleMill, Crawfordsville, IN

Hails from United States
Patti,

I love the color in your hand. I'm going to have to give it a try tomorrow. I also love mixed colors but have found them to be very very shocky after they cool. They are great for stringers, no problem there.

Also agree with you on using same rod for punty. I tried using some pyrex rods that I had on hand and they didn't separate from the Moretti as described by others. They cracked and broke off...a real mess.

Barbara
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Ferguson, MO

Hails from United States
I'm so psyched that you all are trying some color mixing! Cindy, those beads are gorgeous, good job! I don't know why I didn't think of using striking orange; that would be similar to the Lauscha orange. I didn't think of using white, either! LOL I like the variegated look of the orange you came up with, too!

Barbara: I use pyrex punties too, but mainly for twisties and complex canes. For mixing I'm always afraid I will accidently mix pyrex glass into the glass...I thought the stainless steel chopsticks would be the way to go, but they turned black and icky...maybe I'm just doing something wrong with them, because I know lots of people use them. For the pyrex, I usually end up knocking the soft glass off after the punties cool off. The ends get pretty broken up, but I still like to use them for pulling canes. I just remelt the ends of the pyrex before I stick them to the soft glass. At least that works for me.

I like the color in my hand, too...also the color shows up better in that picture. Unfortunately the picture with all the colors in it didn't turn out the best. The color in my hand is the 1:1 butter yellow/coral mix. Adding a little transparent orange makes it a little more orange overall and is a yummy color too!

I haven't had any time to get on the torch; making jam and cobbler and helping out with the lemonade stand that the girls ended up having took all of my time and energy! I hope to get on the torch again this evening, though. So maybe I can post some more results tomorrow morning.

-Patti
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Marietta, GA

Hails from United States
Patti - I can't believe you tried lauscha brown and moretti ivory - I just tried that a few days ago and was as suprised as you at the lovely green - kind of a lighter version of the lauscha olive, or a nice celedon(sp?) green. What a hoot!

WWW.DogwoodGlassworks.com

Renee's Beads on Ebay
My JustBeads auctions
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 PM
San Diego

Hails from United States
I have tried mixing colours once and I have to ask how long it usually takes to get them mixed? Are there some colours that just won't mix? Or if I keep working them will they eventually get mixed together and I was just too impatient the first time?

The streaky colour I made was cool, but not quite what I was looking for...

Michelle
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2003, 12:34 AM
A Local Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Wonderful recipes! I'll have to try them. I really like the Mostly Butter Yellow with a bit of coral!! I tried my hand at mixing in the set below- got a nice streaky, creamsicle orange. It's equal parts Moretti Ivory, Moretti Orange and Moretti Pastel Yellow. I built it on a base rod of orange, added a 1" long cut of Ivory to one side, a 1" long cut of yellow to the other and used a punty to swirl it all together into a huge melty blob and pulled it:

That was done on a HotHead so it IS possible for all you HH Users to blend...it just takes a while to melt and the color may not be totally smooth...

Am
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States
Am,

Those beads are GAWGEOUS!!!! The color is beautiful! Great job!

Thanks, Patti for posting and encouraging us to try color mixing!!

I'd love to see a post of the brown and ivory! Anyone got a pix?

Cindy