WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis
Re: Framing Scratchboard/Claybord

Susie,

I had the same concerns so I use double-sided (sturdy) tape at home (I often shuffle things around and recycle my frames). However if sending to a show I would absolutely recommend glueing - I learned the hard way that the sturdiest tape is just temporary when one of my pieces fell off the mounting foam. I was lucky one of my WC friends was on hand to save the day, but if not that could have resulted in a piece being rejected or worse, someone buying it and having it fall off their wall!

~ Pam
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Dunedin Fl

Hails from United States

Here are the reasons I no longer use glass either for Claybord or paper based Scratch work.
1. I prefer it for cost, Weight and pain in the ass mounting, cutting matte and glass , etc, etc etc. Also glass should never be touching the Board surface so a matter or Frame space edge needs to be used. Do not forget reflection on flat Back surface. You look at the surface and you see yourself along with the subject. Non - Refective glass, dull, dull and dull!
2. My clients and gallery don,t like glass either.
3. As far as protection, I and the gallery make it clear as to how the board is covered and protective and that Sprays and Clear painted coatings can and do protect from static air condtions but do have limited protection by physical contact. They must buy and preserve under those conditions.
However, I have always let my clients know that from the day they buy an original of mine I will do my best to correct and make presentable any thing that can be repaired the best I can at no charge as long as I am available. They like that and I have repaired about a dozen pictures in my years doing Scratchboard. Keep those Micron Archival ink pens in good condition. They are a god send for many a repair and when you coughed while scratching.

As far as colored frames, A Black, Grey, White frame look great on B&W Scratchboard. Any color in the Pic, the door is open for color or type do to subject matter. Regards
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Goudhurst, Kent, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

It is so nice to see the finished articles framed. They all look fabulous and I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I could not say which style I like best, but Lorna, the Zebras took my breath away, literally. Such a striking picture and finish.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Dunedin Fl

Hails from United States

I also wanted to mention that I also do not frame paperbased Scratchboard.
I do this by buying a quality pressed wood board. I then paint the edges and one side in quality Latex black paint. I then mount the Scratchboard on the untreated side using a professional twosided heat adhesive sheet that makes it almost impossible to separate the two. Then, trim the Scratchboard to the base. Then, I smooth the surface between the Scratchboard and the substrate board with a mixture of Wood Glue and woodfiller, when dry I sand smooth and repaint the edge, I now do the Scratchboard. Once done I finish the front and the edges and back as I would the Claybord.
P.S. I also mount a 1/2 inch of pine wood edgeing to all but small Claybords They are then painted either Black, White or Grey depending on the picture.
You can hang from the edgeing and the gallery likes it so that a client can either decide to hang as is or pick their own frame. Also no framing cost, just the cost of pine edging and the cutting and mounting time it takes to do it, One of those projects I do when watching a game or movie on TV.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Dunedin Fl

Hails from United States

Wow , there is very view places on the culture business level of who and what you are as an artist than this level of question. It is a question of who and where you are as an artist when dealing with the business end. Of course you would just love it that the art itself would be judged loved and bought and there are times that it can and do happen.
However the note from your Gallery puts things in place the way they are and lets you know they need to sell the work and your name is not on sale , YET! Hang in there, pun intended , do your best to present your work as best you can and afford. If a Gallery has a good pulse on their (and your clients) they should have some good inputs on your work to benefit both of you in presentation. The more well known you are as a stable of the Galleries artists the easier this communication becomes for everyone.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
St Kitts (Caribbean)

Hails from St Kitts and Nevis

Logied, do you have any photos of your technique with the 1/2" edging? I'm just curious how you're doing that, it sounds interesting.

~ Pam