Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Framing Oil Pastels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    artvolun

Hi, I’m a bit confused about framing oil pastels. I was under the impression that because oil pastels never go hard that I had to always frame them under glass. I recently saw a YouTube clip that said that I could you oil pastels on canvas so long as I sprayed a few coats of the Sennelier Oil Pastel fixative which would place a resin coat over the oil pastels.
        Has anyone any experience or information on this Sennelier spray.
        Artvolun

Hi Artvolun! I believe that the Sennelier’s OP Fixative is top of the range but a bit pricey too. Using a fixative not only protects the final painting, but also helps with layering.

Christel

hi, there is also Talens varnish for oil pastels, it can be thinned with water, works like a charm :)

critique is welcome
        department of graphite
        limited english :)

Rich A

HI Artvolun.

I’ve used the sennelier fixative and it does the job, but in my opinion is too expensive.I also know it leaves behind a sticky feel, which I don’t really like. I think it attracts dust and dirt by being sticky. I view the sennelier fixative as more of a “workable” fix than a final.

I’ve switched to Krylon and/or grumbacher (final matte fixative). Both of these products work just fine with providing a little bit of protection. I usually will wait a week two before applying the final fixative. I try to allow the OP to “set” up a bit before going in with fixative.

I handle mine similarly to Rich, using spray varnish after letting the OP set up/harden for several days, and it’s worked fine for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.