WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Who are you? I really want to know!!

Hi my name is Debby. I guess I should post here since I've started posting in this forum. I was hanging out in the fiber arts forum, but was lurking here because I'm learning colored pencil. Rosemary got me with the mandala self portrait challenge. That and the muffins she offered.

Anyway, I'm the big 5-oh this year. I have one son who is grown and trying to make his own way in the world. It was hard when I reached adulthood. Kids now are having an even harder time with the economy. Sorry for the digression. I am married, for the third time, but this time I got it right. I spent 20+ years being a mechanical designer in the semi-conductor equipment industry in California. That led to chronic tendonitis and an ulcer. I am now self-employed raising bees for honey and culinary herbs that I sell at the local farmers market.

I've alway been creative. I create artist teddy bears. I've also done other soft sculpture/stuffed animals like bunnies and dragons. I spent a fair amount of time sewing up original costumes for halloween, my son's school play and the Reniassance fair. But it was only recently that I began to try my hand at drawing. Funny enough it was watching the behind the scenes DVD from "Lord of the Rings" that started it. I said to my DH "I wish I could draw like that." in reference to the work of Alan Lee, John Howe and the other artists that were working on the film. So DH told me that I could draw and made sure I got some decent paper and pencils. I've been attempting to learn from books and the internet. I like the graphite well enough, but wanted color. So here I am.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Debby, I think you'll LOVE cps! It's really versatile.

If you want crits, just ask for them and folks will chime in.

I see one of your bears is your avatar, how cool! Not too enamoured of bunnies lately...they've been nibbling away at my garden.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Essex Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Talking Re: Who are you? I really want to know!!

Hi my name is Elsie,and at 52, am branded a 'wrinklie' by my delightful children, who I keep telling that they are catching me up.. ha ha I also have four lovely grandchildren.. I live in Colchester, England with my partner and an elderly german shepherd and a mad cocker spaniel.
I love to paint in any medium although at the moment am getting really
hooked on coloured pencils. I especially enjoy painting animals, because I get really involved in the detail. I hope you enjoy looking at my pictures as much as I enjoyed doing them.
The horse is in acrylics. When I shrink some more I will try and download some more. Bye for now
Attached Images

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Hello everyone! It's nice to meet you all and see the new faces.

Let's see my name is Rachel and I'm 23 years old. I found wetcanvas several years ago and have been posting here and there. I currently just graduated vet tech school a bit ago and in a bit of a transition phase with trying to decide what to do with my life. I really love lab work but found I need a MT or MLT degree as well if I want to work in any of the vet labs. I also love biology and wildlife but am unsure if I want to go the wildlife route instead or maybe more science and medical illustration. So I'm just trying to figure things out.

Currently though this has given me lots of time to work on my artwork and distress from several very stressful years with school and family problems in which my art had to be set aside allot. Now though I'm working on it more and want to improve my skills. Recently I found that I will be able to take some fun art classes in the fall, which is awesome. I haven't had much in the way of formal training and think it would be fun.

I work in a variety of media from watercolors, pencil, acrylics, colored pencil, pen and ink and even some digital work for my comic.

I also adore animals and have a zoo at home here, several cats, ferrets, lizards, a salamander and a snake.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Hi, I haven't been here for a while, but I've been a member for about 5 years. My name is Carol and I'm also a "senior". My children are all grown and out of the nest--2 are married. I have been doing some type of art all my life but never really considered myself an artist until about 4 years ago when I decided to take my work to art fairs.

I taught art for 13 years in public schools and quit that when I had children. I then started into "domestic arts" quilting, sewing, cross stitch, interior design, etc. When the kids were still little I started sculpting and making original artist dolls in porcelain. I did that for several years until I had knee surgery and couldn't carry the trays of greenware down the cellar steps to the kiln. So I turned to portraits. I've been doing graphite portraits ever since.

I find it amusing to hear people say they've been an artist all their life, because I never considered myself an artist As an art teacher I was trained in all different mediums and I always felt as if I were a Jack of all Trades and Master of none. I guess to me, being an "artist" meant that you were actually making a living at it. If that were still my train of thought, I still wouldn't be a real artist.

I live in central Pennsylvania. Recently we moved from the Harrisburg area to a very rural community and now have to watch for Amish buggies no matter where we go. We have been living here for almost 3 years and still haven't sold our old home, but when we do, my plans are to open my very own art gallery. I've always wanted to do that and if I don't soon do it I will be way too old!
Carol
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Hey Carol! Welcome to the CP forum! Whereabouts are you? We are neighbors, of a sort. I was going to ask you if your elk refs were from Lake Tobias. The terrain looked very familiar!

Save
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Elaine, We used to live in Mechanicsburg, but now live in Middleburg. The elk are actually in fenced in fields just outside Mifflinburg. I'm not sure where Lake Tobias is, but I don't think its far from here.

When I saw you are from Mt. Gretna, I thought of the art show. I never applied at that show because artists told me it almost always rains and there are mud slides. One told me she was in mud above her ankles one year. I only ever went to that show once and it was a very nice show--high quality artists.

BTW, if you now of anyone who would like to buy a beautiful Victorian home in Mechancisburg, send them my way. We have one for sale.
Carol
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy

BTW, if you now of anyone who would like to buy a beautiful Victorian home in Mechancisburg, send them my way. We have one for sale.
Carol

Will do. And let me know when you open that gallery! The Gretna Art Show is always a good one......but it is a mess when it rains!

Save
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Resting in Peace
Clark, Wyoming

Hails from United States

My name is Ann and I just dropped by the CP forum to look around. Have been an oil painter all my life and do a few pastels. I have played with colored pencils off and on, and after finishing up some commissioned pieces in oils I plan to experiment with some new subject matter in CP and perhaps some mixed media.

My husband and I live in Fort Worth, Texas and have two grown children plus two granddaughters. I know I will enjoy reading the great threads here; I enjoy learning something about art each day!

God blessed me with the gift to create art. It is both my joy and my purpose to use that talent to His glory.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Hails from United States

HMMMmmm... Where to start. I was born in Indiana but only spent maybe the first 6 months of my life there. My mother and father moved to Los Angeles CA for about 2 years. Other than that I have lived my entire life in the Bluegrass State, Kentucky.

My Mother said that I have always been a creative person with a vivid imagination. My father just up and left about the time I turned 6. I have not seen him since. I believe that was about the time I started drawing. I found that even if my life was not perfect I could create a perfect world through the use of my pencil. My philosophy of life stems from these 'tough' times I had as a child. "You can take my money, you can beat me down, you can make my life a living Hell, but....you can't take my art". I use this philosphy every day in every situation. I take solace in knowing that if I have a tough day I know I can go home and create something. I'm truly blessed.

Sorry about the ranting. I'm a 39 year old father and husband. My wife and I will have been married for 16 years on October 3rd. We have a beautiful little 4 year old named Madeline Kate. We call her Madkat for short and you can see her in my most recent graphite portrait.http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504109
Her birthday is on Christmas Eve, same as her mother's who is a twin.....ugghhh....tough time o' the year for me!! We have 2 cats, Shoobert and Miss. We have a Corgi named Irwin after Steve Irwin. My daughter named him.

I've dabbled in most mediums but Graphite is my true passion and always has been. During the mid to late 90's I spent alot of time and energy in the comic book and spot illustration field. I love that genre' but it is not condusive to family life. So around 1998 I got back into fine arts. I've been doing portraits off and on for nearly 18 years. I'm currently under the influence of Color Pencils and may need a 12 step program to get off of them.

I love learning and sharing knowledge. Wetcanvas is really a great place for both. Not to mention all of the really cool people you get to meet along the way!!

Oakshade Studio
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Hi, Elsie! I'm so glad to "meet" you! Your horse is beautiful. Just beautiful.

Hi, Rachel! YOu and I have a lot in common...animals and cps! Good luck in sorting out what you want to do, I think it's harder at your age because you have SO many paths open to you. At MY age, well, you have to pick and chose, there's only so much you can REASONABLY hope to accomplish! I look forward to seeing your artwork!

Carol, I know your graphite work, it's so good. I actually was talking about your civil war portraits to a coworker who's a civil war buff. And your cp work is beautiful, too. I'm so glad you joined us here! How cool, your very own gallery!!

Hi, Ann! Welcome here, let us know if you have any questions about cps. One of the best things about it, unlike oil painting, is that you can do it anywhere, on the couch, on a train, etc. very easy to take out and work on when you get a few moments. AND it's very easy to mix with other media. So can't wait to see what you do with it.

Chris, Madeline is gorgeous and your portrait is terrific!! Are you thinking of doing cp portraits? I know what you mean about taking solace in your art. The BEST THING about my woodcut printing class is that it reminds me of who I really am! (Some workdays, it's hard...)

So great to meet you all...I hope you'll all feel comfy commenting on other's art, posting your own, and chatting in OTL, our "hangout" weekly thread.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
A Local Legend
Delaware, USA

Hails from United States

Hi!
I hope some of you remember me :-) I used to hang out here strictly, but because I had too much going on in my life, I didn't have time for CP's and used more pastel and ink, so I posted a lot in the animals and wildlife forum.
Things are settling down some now. I never stay too still though.
My name's Fae and I grew up in Delaware. I'm 46. I moved to Louisiana in 1995 because I was married to a military man. Got divorced and remarried to a great guy I met online (!) and we've been happily married for 8 years now.
I have a special needs son who keeps me busy. He's slightly autistic but very brilliant.
I do mainly pastels, colored pencil and pen and ink work. Gonna try some watercolor pencil soon. I'll be posting here :-)
I also have been working for IHOP for 10 years now. Was one of the top 5 servers in the USA in 2005. lol, Whee.
Other than that, I am an avid motorcycle rider, I have been riding for about 25 years. Hubby and I belong to a very good group called Bikers Against Child Abuse.
I love helping other kids who have been hurt. It was when my own son was hurt by a creep (who is now thankfully serving 40 years in prison!) that I got in this group. But art helped me through it all. I find it very therapeutic and I am glad for the opportunity to keep learning and growing.
I am glad to have a little more time for art now. I hope to spend more time in here!

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Hey Fae! Great to see you back!!! I also have been experimenting with wc pencils, I'm getting SOME success but they're hard for me. The colors seem unpredictable to me and I hate being organized enough to do swatches.

Anyway, looking forward to your wc cp work...your pastels are so gorgeous
!!
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts here! It's been a little while since I posted at wc, it seems life keeps taking me other places. but I still like to check in now and again. I joined wc a little over a year ago and have learned so much from the folks here on the cp forum - and am still learning! It's nice to see the new folks as well as the familiar names.

So, okay. I am old enough to know the song lyric the title of this thread comes from, probably owned the album at one time! I've been married 24 years and have a nine year old daughter - I was 39 when she was born but I'm not telling my age! Anyway, I am one of those who also has always been an artist, but haven't always been making art. I grew up in Cincinnati and now live in the mountains of North Carolina. I met my hubby in grad school where we were both studying painting. After that I worked in advertising and graphic design, when cut and paste meant scissors and glue. I spent some time teaching art classes part-time at a local community college and the university here. I stopped that to stay home with my daughter and we now homeschool her as well. In the meantime I learned to use graphic design software and started getting free-lance work. And that is what has been keeping my busy lately and away from making art as much as I'd like. But I'm not complaining about making some extra money - that is a good thing.

It wasn't until about 18 months ago that I returned to making art on a regular basis though, after about nine years of not really attempting any kind of art work. And it all started with a set of colored pencils, which led to books on colored pencil drawing and then to wc. Since then I have also started drawing in pastels again and I am trying to learn watercolor and watercolor pencils.

Ann
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
PEI, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone! It's nice to meet you!!
I've been on WetCanvas for just over a year. I just wish I had more time!!
About me...
I'm 39, born and raised in rural Ontario, Canada. Met my husband in college, and now we have a 5 year old girl - the apple of my eye!! I've always drawn - since before I can actually remember, I'm told! In high school, I had a less than encouraging teacher and pretty much gave it up - did the occasional doodle. Then, about 4 years ago, I came up with a couple of projects I wanted to do for my daughter's room, and my love of art came rushing back. Since I've actually been putting some effort into it, I've improved ENORMOUSLY over the last year and a half - both because of WetCanvas and because of a local artist whose drawing classes I attended at a local craft store. I still flinch at calling myself an artist - I'm not sure when I'll be comfortable doing that!!
We moved to the East Coast in 2006 - and I love it! I guess the country girl in me needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of southern Ontario! It's clean, green and the beach is only minutes away. I only drive 8 minutes to work now, which gives me so much more time with my family!
Anyway, I haven't posted in ages - haven't actually finished a drawing in over a month. I work mainly in graphite and cp's, I like playing with some ink sketching - but I don't have the room for any form of painting at this point. Maybe someday.
This is a great thread! Such an interesting (and talented) group of people... thanks for letting me ride along!!
Michelle