WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: Who are you? I really want to know!!

Hi, Carol!! It will be wonderful to see more of your work here! So we are "neighbors"...at least as far as the big ol' world is concerned!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 AM
North California Wine Country

Hails from United States

Robin, your pet portraits are precious. Dog lovers must also love you!

Thanks for your comments on my work! The answer to your question is that the only piece that's 100% WCP is the latest, the "Dancing in the Light" one. In "Stumped" I started with WCP but didn't wet them because my "underpainting" got way too detailed for that. I used them along with regular watercolors for underpainting on the "Pudding Creek Beach" seascape but the finished with Prismacolors and gouche. My other CP pieces are all dry CPs. The only oddity among them otherwise is "Roots of Motive Power II" (the steam shovel) which is Lyra Rembrandt (oil-based) CPs on Duralar (clear draughting film), where I worked on both sides of the film.

I came back to art so late and with a life already so busy that instead of perfecting anything, I keep pushing in new directions. I guess I justy thrive on new challenges.

When I can find the time, I'll post "Dancing in the Light" as a full WIP series so you can see the journey (struggle) it involved. Right now, I have to get to bed because I have a contractor coming in the morning about 6:30 AM (it's currenly about 11:30 PM here). We're in a dead heat to try to get ready to pour concrete on Wednesday.

Cheers!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States

HI,
I am in my early 50s and have been a professional graphic artist who is now starting to explore my fine art side. I also teach colored pencil techniques to adults. I still have much to learn, but enjoy sharing what I know with my students.
I think you can learn a lot by spending time with people of other backgrounds and other ideas. Peace be with you!

Last edited by barbara-in-color : 06-09-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: moderator's request
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Hi all,
Another Pennsylvania person here, very close to Hershey. I live in a small town that is a kind of summer resort destination, with many artists living in the area.
I, like many of you, am coming back to art after many years away. My husband is also an artist who has been away from art for many years, and aspires to return. I teach special education, and have a daughter just heading to college and a 16 year old special needs son. I started out doing acrylics, and found colored pencil by doing studies for acrylics.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, Ca

Hails from United States

Hello everyone, my name is Ron, and I was born in Miami Florida, and have lived here in California since I was 8 years old, currently 61 years old, and not counting , ha ha.

I started my path in the arts with photography when I was in high school, and got good enough to even win a 1 week workshop with Ansel Adams, noted black and white photographer.

after I graduated high school, I went into the Air Force and wound up doing 1 1/2 tours of duty in Viet Nam, and because of injuries sustained in the war after having our helicopter shot down, and being captured, I am a disabled vetean.

After I got back to the real world, I needed something to do to keep me busy, so I took an interest in oil painting, and took classes at our local community college, and have been doing my art ever since, that was 1974.

Now I have developed a real liking for doing wildlife on ash wood panel, and that is what I am primarily known for.

I have been married for 30 years to my outstanding wife and have 3 great kids and 3 great grandchildren.

I guess thats enough rambling.

Ron
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

MrDetail, I looked at your "Dancing in the Light" painting, and it is absolutely stunning. Wonderfully detailed water splashes and drops...beautiful. I would love to see a WIP of how it got to that amazing end!

Elaine, my niece used to live in Hershey, and was a high-paid corporate lawyer for Hershey candy bars. One Christmas, she brought a big box of all kinds of candy bars for all of us!

Ron, I love your cp drawings on wood. I checked out your website and was amazed at how you accomplish your wonderful pieces of art!

I am really enjoying reading about everyone's lives away from art, and learning about your families, and especially, finding out how you got started with your art. Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, Ca

Hails from United States

Hi Char,

Thanks so much for stopping by my Web site, I really appreciate that, and glad you like my work.

Ron
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi to everyone, nice to here your stories.

I am 54 as of may 16th. I was lucky enough to meet and marry the love of my life in jun of 1974. I spent 8 years in the army. Returned to lakeland,fl to raise my family of three girls. Proud to say I now have 6 grandchildren, 4 boys and 2 girls. I have always loved to draw but never really tried to develope that seriously until recently. I accidentally stumbled into wetcanvas nov 2006. I have never been a good student, but I am trying to change that now. There is so much I want to be able to do with my art if only time will allow. I do want to take the opportunity to thank this community for the progress I have made in the time I have been on wc. I have so far to go but if you guys/gals will keep pushing I am sure we will get there. Rick

I don't want to get this thread of track but I do want to say, Ron thank you for your service and the sacrifices you made.

Who is next?

Last edited by GoldenArt : 06-09-2008 at 03:41 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast Texas

Hails from United States

I am Sandy, and WetCanvas is a life saver for me as I discovered it when I was struggling with my desire to create art. I lurked for a long time before I got the courage to post. Thanks to all of you who have helped me grow.

I never had that much time for my art when I was a workaholic; I just retired January 08 from the University of Texas at Austin and now live in a small rural town in Northeast Texas. Now I can spend as much time on art as I want

Sandy
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Clarita, Ca

Hails from United States

Well Sandy we are glad you joined, I just checked out your blog and you do great work, love the carousel horses.

Ron
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
Hi, Carol!! It will be wonderful to see more of your work here! So we are "neighbors"...at least as far as the big ol' world is concerned!
Yes, I guess we are
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Mr. D thanks for the answers. I, um, just posted a FEW questions on your wip. Thanks for the compliment on my dogs, as well. One reason I love doing commissions is because I love chatting with other dog lovers...I've gotten to know some really neat people, we have so much in common!

Barbara, how cool that you teach, how did you get into that? I really like your fall piece.

Hi Elaine!! I was wondering where Mt. Gretna was, a little south of where I was guessing. Have you ever tried cps on top of acrylics? Interesting, interesting. I really like it.

Hi, Ron! Of course I know and admire your work, how nice to know more about YOU. Wow, Ansel Adams. What's he like?

Rick, I went to cheerleading camp near Lakeland, I think. I was brought up in Fort Lauderdale. My dad lives in Okeechobee. I know what you mean about the time thing and wanting to accomplish all you can. We really can help each other along here! NO T.V.!!!

Sandy, I'm so glad you're an ex-lurker now! Love the carousel horse on your blog!! Now with all that time on your hands, we expect a LOT of cp pieces!!

Now we've heard from our guides...have our wonderful mods chimed in yet???

Last edited by RobinZ : 06-10-2008 at 07:20 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ

Hi Elaine!! I was wondering where Mt. Gretna was, a little south of where I was guessing. Have you ever tried cps on top of acrylics? Interesting, interesting. I really like it.

It's a great summer day trip, though no one can afford those anymore! But if you're ever in the area, take a drive through. It's just 10 min. from a turnpike exit. Great summer theatre, ice cream parlor, lake for swimming and lots of hiking/biking trails. But walking through the town looking at all of the Victorian cottages is just as enjoyable. Every August we have a 2 day art show that really is worth the trip. http://www.mtgretnaarts.com/
I have never tried cp over acrylics. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Last edited by ocmd123 : 06-10-2008 at 08:05 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Well, here goes, the hard part. I am 65 so I guess that makes me the old lady around here. I easily forget I'm that old so it really doesn't bother me.

I was born in El Paso, Texas but my dad was moved by his company to this city right after my birth, I went to High School in Texas but met my husband here and married before finishing college. We have been married 43 years and have 3 sons and 6 grandchildren.

I think I have always had a love for art but wasn't able to do it seriously until 1989, when I entered the Bellas Artes Institute here in the city. My work has mainly been mixed media and alternative materials but since being a member of WC I got interested in graphite. I have been in a mentor's program working with realism from life in charcoal and now realism in oil from life. On the side though, I still do quite a bit of abstract work.

Robin, I have enjoyed reading about everyone, it completes the story when you see the artwork of each.

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 06-10-2008 at 05:00 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, Mine is a sorted story, . I am 57 Although in my head I am not that old. Raised 8 lovely daughters. Fun and challenging. Started my working life as a LPN did that off and on for many years.
Raised in Los Angeles and spent my summer's in my Dad's farm in Kentucky. Loved the country, so when my kids were babies we bought an acre with an old farm house on it. Glad they had room to run.
Painted off and on during raising them, did alot of work for botanical organizations. Mostly Rose societies.
Wanted to do more with my art, after the kids were raised. so when my disability started getting worse and I couldn't work, began exploring mediums. did pastels for a long time, oil pastels, watercolors,oils, then discovered colored pencils and my world opened up. Love the detail I can get.
Divorced from the Kids dad at 42 and then single for a long time. Met my second husband and married, sadly, he just couldn't handle my disability and we are just divorced. It has been a very hard time in my life, my art helped me through it.
so that is my sorted story.
I am a survivor of the polio epidemic in the 50's, have alot of heath issues now but managing to do my art work, that is all I really care about.
Thanks for reading and nice to know about everyone else, thanks to allthe kind artists who supports my ventures here on wet canvas, such a great place.
Andi