WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Help with reading the color numbers on Polychromos colored pencils??!!

OK, maybe I am just a martian, but I have the hardest time reading the color numbers and color name on the barrels of Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. The gold markings are super hard to see because the lighting of the room causes glare for me. I am not otherwise visually impaired, but I have had to actually resort to using a magnifying glass in order to read the gold lettering and numbers. Had anyone else had this problem? and what to do? I tried using a black Sharpie to mark the numbers in black on the barrels of the pencils but it smudges off easily. This is a really frustrating problem for me (yes, I realize it is not a biggie in life overall, but it makes it hard for me to use them) and I would love to heard whether this plagues anyone else! thanks so much!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM

Hails from Finland
Re: Help with reading the color numbers on Polychromos colored pencils??!!

I haven't really had any trouble reading the text on my Polys. They most certainly aren't the comfiest to read but I can still see the text well enough. Granted the regular lighting in our apartment is rather dim.

Have you tried bringing the pencils next to a window so you can try and read them in daylight?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM

I know exactly how you feel. The gold letters along with the glossy finish of the pencils make them equally reflective and makes it hard to read the labels under certain lighting conditions. Also, reflecting dark colored surfaces contribute to the problem. My solution is to wear light colored cloths, point the letters away from light sources and try to make the gold letters to reflect the light colored cloths (basically try to avoid making them reflect any light source and dark surfaces).
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Hails from United States

I'm with you. I struggle to read the numbers even with my reading glasses on. I don't think it's my vision just the fact that they don't contrast well at all.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM

I usually pick my colors directly but if I need to select from numbers by using a chart I filled out. That way I only struggled the one time to read the numbers.

Luminance pencils are actually worse.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone! I even called the US affiliate for Faber Castell to ask them and they said they have never heard this issue before! I think I am going to get tiny labels and affix them to the barrels. I will also try the suggestion of wearing light clothes when using them to reduce light glare. I appreciate the feedback!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 PM

Try twisting slowly the pencil while you hold it, as you regularly do when you draw, and try to find an angle where the gold letters will reflect your white T-shirt back to your eyes.

Tell us if it helped.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Hong Kong

Yes, share your problem, I usually choose by colours not number, when I really need to check the number, I have to keep rotating the pencil, and my head, too. ^0^

IC
instagram : iceefaery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy57
OK, maybe I am just a martian, but I have the hardest time reading the color numbers and color name on the barrels of Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. The gold markings are super hard to see because the lighting of the room causes glare for me. I am not otherwise visually impaired, but I have had to actually resort to using a magnifying glass in order to read the gold lettering and numbers. Had anyone else had this problem? and what to do? I tried using a black Sharpie to mark the numbers in black on the barrels of the pencils but it smudges off easily. This is a really frustrating problem for me (yes, I realize it is not a biggie in life overall, but it makes it hard for me to use them) and I would love to heard whether this plagues anyone else! thanks so much!

You might have too much light too close then. I have no problems to read them at mid day sunlight.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

If you want to mark your pencils without sticky labels you could try slicing a small portion of paint off with a very sharp blade and writing on the bare wood (or paint the bare wood to seal it and write on that). Then you only have to work out the numbers once. I find the caran d'ache pencils are far worse to read personally.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Moscow

Hails from Russian Federation

some time ago I've bought an open-stock of derwent artists and most of them had almost arased numbers. So, I wrote numbers on paper, cut them out and sticked down with transparent adhesive tape. Just on the tips of pencils. This ordinary tape can be romoved without leaving traces.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

I also find the gold markings a little difficult to read. Things like that should have been made more user friendly long ago.

Sci-Fi illustrator and concept artist | My Facebook
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM

thank you everyone for your help! Mostly it is just nice to know that this is a peeve for other people too, I agree that this should have been corrected a long time ago, and it wouldn't be a hard fix in my opinion. Alas, I have yet to be nominated Queen of the World, LOL
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy57
thank you everyone for your help! Mostly it is just nice to know that this is a peeve for other people too, I agree that this should have been corrected a long time ago, and it wouldn't be a hard fix in my opinion. Alas, I have yet to be nominated Queen of the World, LOL

Probably because for many people we cannot understand how would be hard to read that. You might have found something interesting. Vision is dfifferent for different groups of people. Maybe there is a part of population that do not see gold as a large contrast color.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

I've not tried this on polychromos, but I've done it with Derwent where the gold was wearing off...
Rub a white (or black) pencil over the number, then rub it with your finger. The numbers are stamped in the wood so they hold the white. You could also use a wax crayon. Hope it helps!