WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 11:00 AM
PA

Hails from United States
Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ January 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you all had a safe and happy New Year's Eve. Did everyone make it to midnight? I'm a night owl. I'm up til midnight most nights anyway. Now bring on 2017!

Hopes, dreams and goals? Go!

I'll go first. This will be a year of big change for me. I will be retiring from 33 years of teaching special education in three short weeks. Exciting and terrifying all at the same time! My focus then becomes being the primary caretaker of our 25 year old special needs son, and focusing on art time. So, hopes, dreams and goals? Find some meaningful volunteer work for my son and I to do together (I'm thinking Meals on Wheels), and, hopefully, launch a second career in art. I have been spending as much time as I can in the studio painting, and am looking forward the the time, and head space, to do more.

Who's next??

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ January 2017

A wonderful NEW YEAR wish to all the friends in this glorious CP community...!

Remember that dreams come first, but nothing happens if they are not followed with action.

This for me is the year when a really BIG birthday is reminding me that my time is running out, and life is HERE! I promise (and you are my witnesses) to give it a real try.

Good Health, Perseverance, Happiness and Success to you all!!!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Happy New Year from a newbie who is a longtime colored pencil fan

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Happy New Year, Frida and Attalus!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Moscow

Hails from Russian Federation

Happy New year!
may I repeat my question from previous OTL thread?
---
Friends, I've got a silly question concerning CP sets.
I've read a million of reviews for different brands. And quite often people say, that they do not like how the not-full sets are made (meaning 12-24-36-48-60 sets) and they more often use the colours from open-stock. For example, one of my e-mail friends who uses derwents says, that 36-set lies almost unused, whilst other 36 from open stock are used&used&used. Or, if we take Faber Castells. The 60-set is quite good, but when I started to collect a botanical and landscape set, using books and recomendations - I had to add plenty of colours from open-stock.
So, the question )))
Why won't the manufacturers make 2 "half sets". For example, Derwent coloursoft-1, 36 pieces and coloursoft-2, other 36 pieces? It won't anyway stop from buying open-stocks, but suppose to make life easier.

---
PS:
weather monitor shows -35C for saturday.....winter seems to have a grouch on smth of smb..

Last edited by amorozova : 01-05-2017 at 01:08 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

It is so encouraging to find names of CP artists that were struggling WC members long ago... This is one: Holly Bedrosian:

http://artodyssey1.blogspot.ca/2011/...bedrosian.html

"So, the question )))
Why won't the manufacturers make 2 "half sets". For example, Derwent coloursoft-1, 36 pieces and coloursoft-2, other 36 pieces? It won't anyway stop from buying open-stocks, but suppose to make life easier."

I guess this question can only be answered by the manufacturers themselves, according to consumers' requests! I personally don't have any interest in buying smaller sets, as I don't see it as a good solution. After starting with a set of Prismacolors I only get the colours I need in open stock, and avoided buying other sets by doing the same, except those not available as such. But even Luminance can be tested one pencil at a time!!!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorozova
Happy New year!
may I repeat my question from previous OTL thread?
---
I've read a million of reviews for different brands. And quite often people say, that they do not like how the not-full sets are made (meaning 12-24-36-48-60 sets) and they more often use the colours from open-stock. For example, one of my e-mail friends who uses derwents says, that 36-set lies almost unused, whilst other 36 from open stock are used&used&used. Or, if we take Faber Castells. The 60-set is quite good, but when I started to collect a botanical and landscape set, using books and recomendations - I had to add plenty of colours from open-stock.
So, the question )))
Why won't the manufacturers make 2 "half sets". For example, Derwent coloursoft-1, 36 pieces and coloursoft-2, other 36 pieces? It won't anyway stop from buying open-stocks, but suppose to make life easier.
I guess I am the wrong person to ask, because I hate sets, whether of CPs, acrylics, or cooking pots & pans. There is always something included that I never will use. I find it easier to wait till I need something I don't have and buy it from open stock. But that's just me

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 AM
Moscow

well, let's move to another mystery )))
what about FC polychromos #139 - light violet? I've heard, it has been vanished from stock, or even discontinued. Anyone knows, has it been replaced to any other colour?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looked at the link, Raquel. Holly Bedrosian's work is amazing.
Vena
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Quote:
So, the question )))
I suppose it would make ordinary buyer's mind quite puzzled. There have been Landscape and Portrait sets in Derwent's Artists and Pastel Pencil ranges but their lifetime was short - apparently they didn't sell well enough. Those smaller sets are just collections of basic colours for the common buyers and very probably 99 % of people are quite satisfied with them. 12 colour sets make more money than all the larger sets together, said the importer of Faber-Castell in late 1990s.

Quote:
well, let's move to another mystery )))
what about FC polychromos #139 - light violet? I've heard, it has been vanished from stock, or even discontinued. Anyone knows, has it been replaced to any other colour?
Yes, Light violet 139 vanished from Polychromos and Albrecht Dürer ranges in early 2000s. (Guess who managed to get a couple of dozens...) It's still available in Art Grip and Art Grip Aquarell ranges but I'm not sure if it still is the same lightfast ultramarine violet.

Luckily the Ultramarine violet 630 of Caran d'Ache's Luminance 6901 and Museum Aquarelle ranges is a genuine PV 15 ultramarine violet and an almost exact match.

Heikki

Last edited by ManedWolf : 01-07-2017 at 05:51 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Moscow

Heikki well, I meant, if FC has replaced this colour with smth else?

PS: I've made a list of my present/absent polys and found out, that there are 121 colour (even excluding №139). Got puzzled.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Heikki well, I meant, if FC has replaced this colour with smth else?

PS: I've made a list of my present/absent polys and found out, that there are 121 colour (even excluding №139). Got puzzled.
Unfortunately there is no replacement for 139 in FC's artist pencil ranges.

One of your 121 ones is probably Soft black 099 or Light blue 147. Both were dropped (as well as 139) when the range was expanded from 100 to 120 colours in very late 1990s.

Prior to that, when the assortment was expanded from 80 to 100 colours in about 1988, there were even more: True blue 148 and Paris blue 150 were replaced by Phthalo blue light 145, Phthalo blue dark (now Phthalo blue middle) 152 and Azure blue (now Phthalo blue) 110; Light gray 195, Silver gray 196, Medium gray 197 and Dark gray 198 were replaced by cool grays 230 - 235 and Warm light gray 295, Warm silver gray 296, Warm slate gray 297 and Warm dark gray 298 were replaced by warm grays 270 - 275. (Guess who managed to get a couple of sets with those old ones about ten years later...)

Heikki
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Moscow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf

One of your 121 ones is probably Soft black 099 or Light blue 147.
neither of them. Compared other colours from your list - found none. There is may be one doubled, while I was making a list. But I don't see it for now. Going to compare it with a-probably-new-list It becomes just interesting.

UPD:
well, I've found this number in my manual-made list - 282. Seems to be a misprint. Does this colour really absent?

Last edited by amorozova : 01-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.