WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermieW

That is really good to know. So which sharpener did you land on? And what sort of point do you prefer? That seems to be where I keep tripping up. The ones who give a nice long point (according to the reviews) either die in a month or aren't for colored pencils. I haven't found any suggestions on a handheld. I don't mind a handheld. It's the point and the non-mauling that I am trying to find.

http://www.faber-castell.com/product...artists/185710
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM

thanks tiago.dagostini.

At the very least, if people are seeing what the artists are using (the things that are still available) it will help a great deal.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Virginia

Hails from United States

I have two pencil sharpeners that I am very happy with. My basic go to Alvin brass bulletin pencil sharpener and my current favorite electric/battery sharpener a FORAY model 879-174. I primarily work with Prismacolors and Polychromos. You just have to remember to sharpen a graphite pencil in the device to keep the wax build up down. I am in the habit of doing this every time I sit down to color. I spend 3 - 4 hours a day on my art.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dh3634522
I have two pencil sharpeners that I am very happy with. My basic go to Alvin brass bulletin pencil sharpener and my current favorite electric/battery sharpener a FORAY model 879-174. I primarily work with Prismacolors and Polychromos. You just have to remember to sharpen a graphite pencil in the device to keep the wax build up down. I am in the habit of doing this every time I sit down to color. I spend 3 - 4 hours a day on my art.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been checking everyone's suggestions to see if they are still available FS. I see that the Alvin is. Is the Foray? Do you know? When I google the brand, number I keep coming up with an office depot brand sharpener.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:07 PM
San Antonio, Tx

Hails from United States

I received a "Duet" battery/manual sharpener for Christmas. It is a single blade sharpener. So far is has worked great on my Prismas. Gives a nice sharp point of medium length (a little shorter than my helix blade sharpener but longer than my KUM manual sharpener). I don't know how long it will last, but it has handled a couple of dozen pencils without issue so far. Available at craft stores and Blick.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtefco
I received a "Duet" battery/manual sharpener for Christmas. It is a single blade sharpener. So far is has worked great on my Prismas. Gives a nice sharp point of medium length (a little shorter than my helix blade sharpener but longer than my KUM manual sharpener). I don't know how long it will last, but it has handled a couple of dozen pencils without issue so far. Available at craft stores and Blick.

Hi Tomefco, thanks for the input. Keep us updated, will you? I've read that some work great at first (haven't read about yours yet) and then stop. It's possible that they don't use graphite pencils occasionally to clean those out either. It's very good to know that a current released model not only fits the pencil but is working.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:27 PM

well it took long enough but my used (from ebay) Panasonic KP410 came today.
There were no instructions and I nearly had the pencil wrenched out of my hand, it is so powerful. lol But I'm happy to report, that it does work well, even on the fat pencils. A nice long sharp point. It's used so no idea how long it will last but that one still appears to show up on ebay now and then so it is an option.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Hails from United States

Be sure to sharpen a graphite pencil every half hour or so. It also helps to clean the blades with an old toothbrush after about 3 days (72 hours) of use. Janie Gildow demonstrates this procedure in one of her YouTube videos. As you brush the blade and gears, do make sure the helix blade rotates by GENTLY pushing on the unit.

I have several Panasonics, both battery operated and electric types, and love the long, sharp points they give. They're well worth the effort to keep colored pencil core shavings cleaned out of the blades and gear mechanisms.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latedrawer
Be sure to sharpen a graphite pencil every half hour or so. It also helps to clean the blades with an old toothbrush after about 3 days (72 hours) of use. Janie Gildow demonstrates this procedure in one of her YouTube videos. As you brush the blade and gears, do make sure the helix blade rotates by GENTLY pushing on the unit.

I have several Panasonics, both battery operated and electric types, and love the long, sharp points they give. They're well worth the effort to keep colored pencil core shavings cleaned out of the blades and gear mechanisms.

Thanks for the advice! I will check out her youtube video.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 PM

I don't have access to many of the brands mentioned in this thread in the Philippines. I found the ELM V-71 electric sharpener to be the one I could get my hands on here.

I like it as it has an auto-stop feature that prevents you from over-sharpening a pencil. There's also a control for how sharp or blunt you want your pencils to be, and an adjuster for how big a pencil you can fit. CDA Luminance and FC Polychromos both fit with no issues.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 PM
San Antonio, Tx

Hails from United States

I went to a beauty supply store (Sally's, I think) with my wife and saw a kazillion different manual pencil sharpeners in their bins. They looked well constructed and most had double holes. I think they are for sharpening eyebrow liners, so are dealing with soft leads in wood casings and might work real well for colored pencil. It was a real temptation to buy one or two or three, but I already have so many sharpeners that I was able to resist. The beauty supply store will be a place I check when I need a new sharpener in the future.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtefco
I went to a beauty supply store (Sally's, I think) with my wife and saw a kazillion different manual pencil sharpeners in their bins. They looked well constructed and most had double holes. I think they are for sharpening eyebrow liners, so are dealing with soft leads in wood casings and might work real well for colored pencil. It was a real temptation to buy one or two or three, but I already have so many sharpeners that I was able to resist. The beauty supply store will be a place I check when I need a new sharpener in the future.

That's a great idea. Never thought of that.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM

After trying all sorts of electric and hand-held ones, the Prismacolor brand hand-held sharpener is my favourite sharpener - and it's the only Prismacolor product I would buy. The pencils have gone too far downhill with their quality control. Their sharpener however I find works nicely with my Polychromos and Luminance. You can really control how much of the pencil gets eaten and the points are always great, if you're using a good pencil.

INSTAGRAM |
FACEBOOK
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 PM
western New York

Hails from United States

I sharpen my colored pencils by hand with a blade. However, I just bought the round 2-hole Fiskars handheld sharpener. I am pleasantly surprised with it. It sharpens both 35 year old and two week old Prismacolor and P. Verithins beautifully. I bought 5 more of these sharpeners to keep (I also keep spare blades). They are $1.77 each at wal-Mart.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh_art
After trying all sorts of electric and hand-held ones, the Prismacolor brand hand-held sharpener is my favourite sharpener - and it's the only Prismacolor product I would buy. The pencils have gone too far downhill with their quality control. Their sharpener however I find works nicely with my Polychromos and Luminance. You can really control how much of the pencil gets eaten and the points are always great, if you're using a good pencil.

Thanks DH_Art. I've seen those. Never used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmomagain
I sharpen my colored pencils by hand with a blade. However, I just bought the round 2-hole Fiskars handheld sharpener. I am pleasantly surprised with it. It sharpens both 35 year old and two week old Prismacolor and P. Verithins beautifully. I bought 5 more of these sharpeners to keep (I also keep spare blades). They are $1.77 each at wal-Mart.

I've never even heard of this one. Great price. I wonder how long they'll hold up. And where do you get your replacement blades? I've read that people are often frustrated by the lack of quality of replacement blades so a good supplier would be nice to know.