WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:05 AM
tiago.dagostini tiago.dagostini is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 467
 
Hails from Brazil
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermieW



That is really good to know. So which sharpener did you land on? And what sort of point do you prefer? That seems to be where I keep tripping up. The ones who give a nice long point (according to the reviews) either die in a month or aren't for colored pencils. I haven't found any suggestions on a handheld. I don't mind a handheld. It's the point and the non-mauling that I am trying to find.

http://www.faber-castell.com/product...artists/185710
__________________
"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
Reply With Quote
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 146
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

thanks tiago.dagostini.

At the very least, if people are seeing what the artists are using (the things that are still available) it will help a great deal.
Reply With Quote
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Dh3634522 Dh3634522 is offline
New Member
Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I have two pencil sharpeners that I am very happy with. My basic go to Alvin brass bulletin pencil sharpener and my current favorite electric/battery sharpener a FORAY model 879-174. I primarily work with Prismacolors and Polychromos. You just have to remember to sharpen a graphite pencil in the device to keep the wax build up down. I am in the habit of doing this every time I sit down to color. I spend 3 - 4 hours a day on my art.
Reply With Quote
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 146
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dh3634522
I have two pencil sharpeners that I am very happy with. My basic go to Alvin brass bulletin pencil sharpener and my current favorite electric/battery sharpener a FORAY model 879-174. I primarily work with Prismacolors and Polychromos. You just have to remember to sharpen a graphite pencil in the device to keep the wax build up down. I am in the habit of doing this every time I sit down to color. I spend 3 - 4 hours a day on my art.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been checking everyone's suggestions to see if they are still available FS. I see that the Alvin is. Is the Foray? Do you know? When I google the brand, number I keep coming up with an office depot brand sharpener.
Reply With Quote
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Tomtefco's Avatar
Tomtefco Tomtefco is offline
Senior Member
San Antonio, Tx
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 357
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I received a "Duet" battery/manual sharpener for Christmas. It is a single blade sharpener. So far is has worked great on my Prismas. Gives a nice sharp point of medium length (a little shorter than my helix blade sharpener but longer than my KUM manual sharpener). I don't know how long it will last, but it has handled a couple of dozen pencils without issue so far. Available at craft stores and Blick.
__________________
Always learning so C&C invited and always welcomed
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 146
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtefco
I received a "Duet" battery/manual sharpener for Christmas. It is a single blade sharpener. So far is has worked great on my Prismas. Gives a nice sharp point of medium length (a little shorter than my helix blade sharpener but longer than my KUM manual sharpener). I don't know how long it will last, but it has handled a couple of dozen pencils without issue so far. Available at craft stores and Blick.

Hi Tomefco, thanks for the input. Keep us updated, will you? I've read that some work great at first (haven't read about yours yet) and then stop. It's possible that they don't use graphite pencils occasionally to clean those out either. It's very good to know that a current released model not only fits the pencil but is working.
Reply With Quote
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 146
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

well it took long enough but my used (from ebay) Panasonic KP410 came today.
There were no instructions and I nearly had the pencil wrenched out of my hand, it is so powerful. lol But I'm happy to report, that it does work well, even on the fat pencils. A nice long sharp point. It's used so no idea how long it will last but that one still appears to show up on ebay now and then so it is an option.
Reply With Quote
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
latedrawer latedrawer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 225
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Be sure to sharpen a graphite pencil every half hour or so. It also helps to clean the blades with an old toothbrush after about 3 days (72 hours) of use. Janie Gildow demonstrates this procedure in one of her YouTube videos. As you brush the blade and gears, do make sure the helix blade rotates by GENTLY pushing on the unit.

I have several Panasonics, both battery operated and electric types, and love the long, sharp points they give. They're well worth the effort to keep colored pencil core shavings cleaned out of the blades and gear mechanisms.
__________________
Carole
Comments and critiques are welcomed.
Reply With Quote
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 146
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latedrawer
Be sure to sharpen a graphite pencil every half hour or so. It also helps to clean the blades with an old toothbrush after about 3 days (72 hours) of use. Janie Gildow demonstrates this procedure in one of her YouTube videos. As you brush the blade and gears, do make sure the helix blade rotates by GENTLY pushing on the unit.

I have several Panasonics, both battery operated and electric types, and love the long, sharp points they give. They're well worth the effort to keep colored pencil core shavings cleaned out of the blades and gear mechanisms.

Thanks for the advice! I will check out her youtube video.
Reply With Quote
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 AM
memorysdream memorysdream is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I don't have access to many of the brands mentioned in this thread in the Philippines. I found the ELM V-71 electric sharpener to be the one I could get my hands on here.

I like it as it has an auto-stop feature that prevents you from over-sharpening a pencil. There's also a control for how sharp or blunt you want your pencils to be, and an adjuster for how big a pencil you can fit. CDA Luminance and FC Polychromos both fit with no issues.
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.