WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 282
 
Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I went to the Colored pencil library and the pencil sharpener thread (for some reason I am not allowed to post there, hence this thread) is woefully out of date. Nearly every one of the pencil sharpeners listed in the updated thread are no longer being made. lol Oh and the Carl Angel 5 one is not getting good reviews in the recent reviews. Not sure if they've change the manufacturer or if it's a different sharpener all together.

I'm trying to find one...so any current thoughts?

FWIW, I'd rather not use the exacto knife route so sharpener would be great

I do have a sandpaper pad to do the tips but for actual sharpening, no idea what to do.

Last edited by PermieW : 12-28-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:25 AM
brissie's Avatar
brissie brissie is offline
Enthusiast
Queensland
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,068
 
Hails from Australia
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I bought a swordfish curve that has a helical blade but it hasnt lasted long at all and I havent had any feedback from the company either.
I used to think the Kum hand held one was wonderful but just bought new blades at a huge cost because it had to be an overseas order via ebay. Well the new blades are already blunt after only a weeks use!
I only use it to get an extra point and shave off the smoothed lead so am not impressed as those blades arent cheap. Another product thats lost quality.
I use my trusty Ledah electric sharpener which Ive had now for at least 5 years and still on the same helical blade. I just bought the multi sized one for the fatter lovely luminance and derwent pencils that I now have. Very happy with it but still need a hand sharpener for those worn down pencils that dont fit in the electric after a certain length.
So happy hunting electric are wonderful but expensive and hand held ones are something one has to replace constantly.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 AM
amorozova amorozova is offline
Senior Member
Moscow
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 234
 
Hails from Russian Federation
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I've got FC's hand sharpener and hand-rotated kw-trio 305a (not sure it is sold internationally). The latest is quite good, does not take too much from pencil
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:20 AM
tiago.dagostini tiago.dagostini is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 720
 
Hails from Brazil
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

If you are sharpenign well made pencils like polychromos you can use any hand held ttwist sharpener. THe pencil will NOT break. THere is no really need to buy an expensive sharpener.

But you need to check that each sharpener produces a different angle, so I bought several until I found the one with the angle I wanted. From then onwards I just buy any other sharpener and exchange its blade into the one with the angle I wanted.
__________________
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:13 AM
Sarosna's Avatar
Sarosna Sarosna is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 304
 
Hails from Finland
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Honestly, I've just been using Staedtler can sharpeners. I had a crank sharpener before (I think was Staedtler too, I will check later) and I did kind of like it....but obviously it wasn't very portable and as time went on I started to realize how fast it eats away my pencils. I have to use my Polychromos singles from the UK so it was kind of a bummer...

I did try an battery-operated Derwent sharpener as well and that thing was flat out crazy. I immediately binned it.

The can sharpeners aren't very economical which is a shame but they sharpen to a very sharp point when the blades are still new and I don't have to keep running to the trash bin all the time. They are also very portable and I can buy new ones from pretty much everywhere. For under 2 euros / sharpener.
__________________
Save
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 AM
ocmd123's Avatar
ocmd123 ocmd123 is offline
Moderator
PA
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,056
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermieW
I went to the Colored pencil library and the pencil sharpener thread (for some reason I am not allowed to post there, hence this thread) is woefully out of date. Nearly every one of the pencil sharpeners listed in the updated thread are no longer being made. lol Oh and the Carl Angel 5 one is not getting good reviews in the recent reviews.

You are right! Good call! For a while, sharpeners were a big topic. Hence the threads. Haha! If we get some good responses in this one, I'll put it in the library. (Only moderators and guides can edit the library threads, that's why you weren't able to access it.)
__________________
ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.

Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
tiago.dagostini tiago.dagostini is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 720
 
Hails from Brazil
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
You are right! Good call! For a while, sharpeners were a big topic. Hence the threads. Haha! If we get some good responses in this one, I'll put it in the library. (Only moderators and guides can edit the library threads, that's why you weren't able to access it.)


One of the big reasons for the change is the fall from favor of Prismacolors for polychromos and luminance. Both the german and swiss pencils are far more resilient and sharpening them does not need fancy tricks.
__________________
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
Reply With Quote
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 282
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Man, I wish this software had a "multi-quote" option. LOL

I have a tiny handheld sharpener that came in the set with my Derwent sketching pencils. It doesn't work so well with the thinner octagonal pencils and it doesn't do a nice long point. So that's why I've been looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissie
I bought a swordfish curve that has a helical blade but it hasnt lasted long at all and I havent had any feedback from the company either.
I used to think the Kum hand held one was wonderful but just bought new blades at a huge cost because it had to be an overseas order via ebay. Well the new blades are already blunt after only a weeks use!
I only use it to get an extra point and shave off the smoothed lead so am not impressed as those blades arent cheap. Another product thats lost quality.
I use my trusty Ledah electric sharpener which Ive had now for at least 5 years and still on the same helical blade. I just bought the multi sized one for the fatter lovely luminance and derwent pencils that I now have. Very happy with it but still need a hand sharpener for those worn down pencils that dont fit in the electric after a certain length.
So happy hunting electric are wonderful but expensive and hand held ones are something one has to replace constantly.

Thank you for chiming in. I actually have a swordfish sharpener in my cart. So that is very good to know. I can't even find Ledah online anywhere so I'm guessing whatever that is, it's discontinued too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorozova
I've got FC's hand sharpener and hand-rotated kw-trio 305a (not sure it is sold internationally). The latest is quite good, does not take too much from pencil

Does it do a nice long point without chewing up the pencil? (The kw-trio 305a? I haven't looked it up yet so not sure it's available in the US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
If you are sharpenign well made pencils like polychromos you can use any hand held ttwist sharpener. THe pencil will NOT break. THere is no really need to buy an expensive sharpener.

But you need to check that each sharpener produces a different angle, so I bought several until I found the one with the angle I wanted. From then onwards I just buy any other sharpener and exchange its blade into the one with the angle I wanted.

That is good to know (about using the hand held). For some reason I thought they torqued the pencil and added to breakage. My main pencils have been the Derwent Inktense and Blick (until Christmas when my family bought me some Caran D'ache and Polychromos...) So I just wanted to get a sharpener that would work with them and not damage them.

And yes, the point (or types of points) is exactly the issue. We have one other sharpener in the house. I don't know what it is, but it does stubby V-shaped points instead of nice elongated V's. So it doesn't work for me.

That's a good idea about buying a different sharpener and changing the blade out though. Because blades are ridiculously expensive (in comparison to re-buying the same sharpener).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosna
Honestly, I've just been using Staedtler can sharpeners. I had a crank sharpener before (I think was Staedtler too, I will check later) and I did kind of like it....but obviously it wasn't very portable and as time went on I started to realize how fast it eats away my pencils. I have to use my Polychromos singles from the UK so it was kind of a bummer...

I did try an battery-operated Derwent sharpener as well and that thing was flat out crazy. I immediately binned it.

The can sharpeners aren't very economical which is a shame but they sharpen to a very sharp point when the blades are still new and I don't have to keep running to the trash bin all the time. They are also very portable and I can buy new ones from pretty much everywhere. For under 2 euros / sharpener.

I don't know what a "can sharpener" is. Sorry. That's a term I'm not familiar with.
Interesting re: the Derwent. It's not even made any longer so that may be why.

I definitely would like to find one that didn't consume the pencil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmd123
You are right! Good call! For a while, sharpeners were a big topic. Hence the threads. Haha! If we get some good responses in this one, I'll put it in the library. (Only moderators and guides can edit the library threads, that's why you weren't able to access it.)

Oh I didn't know that. LOL I just figured that it was late and I obviously wasn't doing something right.

Sharpener questions seem to be huge online right now. I've found a lot of questions and so few answers.

It also seems to be based on the quality of the pencils used. Like Prismacolors seem to need their own style (apparently an electric or hand crank is preferred for those) altogether.

It's just frustrating. I just want a sharpener that works. It doesn't have to be fancy or spendy or not. Just needs to sharpen my pencil without mauling it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago.dagostini
One of the big reasons for the change is the fall from favor of Prismacolors for polychromos and luminance. Both the german and swiss pencils are far more resilient and sharpening them does not need fancy tricks.

That is really good to know. So which sharpener did you land on? And what sort of point do you prefer? That seems to be where I keep tripping up. The ones who give a nice long point (according to the reviews) either die in a month or aren't for colored pencils. I haven't found any suggestions on a handheld. I don't mind a handheld. It's the point and the non-mauling that I am trying to find.
Reply With Quote
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 02:43 PM
DrDebby's Avatar
DrDebby DrDebby is offline
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,663
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I've been wondering about this one for ages. Anybody have any feedback?
Reply With Quote
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM
ManedWolf's Avatar
ManedWolf ManedWolf is offline
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,284
 
Hails from Finland
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
I've been wondering about this one for ages. Anybody have any feedback?
Looks interesting and charmingly old-fashioned.

PermieW, can sharpeners like these seem to be very common on this side of the Atlantic:

http://www.slojd-detaljer.fi/images/...9pdGluLTE1.jpg

http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys...3321463838.jpg

The cheapest varieties apparently come pre-dulled.

Heikki
Reply With Quote
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 282
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
Looks interesting and charmingly old-fashioned.

PermieW, can sharpeners like these seem to be very common on this side of the Atlantic:

http://www.slojd-detaljer.fi/images/...9pdGluLTE1.jpg

http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys...3321463838.jpg

The cheapest varieties apparently come pre-dulled.

Heikki

Oh ok. I've seen those. I didn't realize that is what they were called.
Reply With Quote
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM
__Eric__'s Avatar
__Eric__ __Eric__ is offline
Senior Member
Southeast Michigan
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 122
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I've gone through a lot of sharpeners the past couple of years. Electric, battery powered and hand crank. The problem is they all start out wonderfully but they wear out quickly. The last electric one I had, I finally got mad and took it apart and found that the gear for the helix blade is made of steel and the rest of the gears were made of plastic. What happens is since the metal is harder than the plastic it deforms the plastic gear and it no longer works correctly.

I have been using this one for about a year now and so far it is holding up. It can make variable styles of point by turning a dial, from very long and needle sharp to short and blunt.

Dahle Professional

Mind you I'm not recommending it because if I do it will certainly break for you and cause havoc in your life but so far its been working well. I bought a spare too just in case.



It doesn't come with instructions but there are youtube videos on how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAgwqIjGCRs

That's probably a bad example because the demonstrator was having some difficulty with the crank

I use the clamp and have it clamped on my drawing table.
__________________
Eric
C&C always welcome!

Last edited by __Eric__ : 12-29-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 05:51 PM
PermieW PermieW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 282
 
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Oh I didn't see that one Eric. That's good to know that it's working! I just found a used Panasonic KP410 (it was recommended in the library but it isn't sold retail any longer) at eBay but if it doesn't work for me, I will check that out.

You make a good point about the metal on plastic gears. That's not something I thought about re: pencil sharpeners but I have a few vintage sewing machines and that's a huge thing we pay attention to when purchasing them. Makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:39 AM
keenart's Avatar
keenart keenart is offline
Enthusiast
Ohio
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,737
 
Hails from United States
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

I have always used Staedtler can with Faber-Castell. However, recently, my favorite is a nameless aluminum sharpener I commandeered from my granddaughter. I think she got it at Walmart. As I get older I use what works.
Reply With Quote
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 02:43 AM
Sarosna's Avatar
Sarosna Sarosna is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 304
 
Hails from Finland
Re: Colored pencil sharpener...need updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermieW
Oh ok. I've seen those. I didn't realize that is what they were called.

Heikki already beat me to it with the explanation. That probably isn't the official word for them. English is not my mother language. Can sharpener is just shorter than 'a regular sharpener with a plastic reservoir'.

I've started to fuss a little less about art supplies recently. I prefer to get the things that work and are easy to get. I have to order most more specialized stuff from the UK and thanks to Brexit things might get a little harder in the future so I try not to make things difficult for myself.
__________________
Save
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.