Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Option to fineliners? Pencil?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mega_biscoito

Hello

When I’m drawing with fineliners doing the outlines of my drawing with markers, I don’t like to use them since I find fineliners a bit difficult to use. I can’t seem to do very straight lines I think because the tip of fineliners is a bit hard, and there is a tendency to be more difficult to control the pen.

I’m using a FB Black Polychromos and I like it. The pencil is more easy to control and I like the black colour efect. The only problem is because the Polychromos is a bit softer, I have to sharpe it often, to do thin lines.

I would like to know if there are other options to draw these outlines? Other pens I don’t know or a harder pencil that the Polychromos?

Thank you

blackandwhite

I know that feeling. Black pencils are more forgiving and allow the lines to be built up gradually, while fineliner has to get right at once. There are differences between finelines and some might work better than others. Some of the thin felt tip brush pens can be also good option.

Generally speaking, if you want good dense black lines from graphite pencil or black colored pencil, you will have to accept the fact that you have to sharpen it often. If the pencil is so hard that you don’t have to sharpen it often, it also means that it is not leaving much pigment on the paper and the lines will be gray instead of black.

There are some nice dark graphite pencils like Staedtler Mars Lumograph black that might work for you. I haven’t tried those yet. Cretacolor Nero pencils are another good option and I use those sometimes when I want the lines to stay on the paper (it doesn’t erase or smudge like graphite). There are various hardness grades of the Cretacolor Nero pencils.

If you don’t care about archival/lightfastness properties, then ballpoint gel ink pens or normal oil-based ink ballpoint pens could be an option. Personally I find those bit easier to control than fineliners and I sometimes use those for croquis drawings and other drawings that are not intended to last forever.

Anonymous

Reading your requirements carefully I would strongly suggest that you try a cheap fountain pen, I don’t think that straight lines are any kind of problem with any size fountain pen nib if you can already do it with a pencil.
                From what you say & your preference for a pencil it sounds like you want a definite sense of touch from your drawing tool.
                If you want permanent lines then use permanent fountain pen ink.
                As B&W says if you want to go down the pencil route “Cretacolor Nero” are good & black.
                Cheers Mike

indraneel

I’m a bit lost… what is the actual problem here? You want a softer tip that will dig in and provide feedback, but will not splay on you?

If so, then Mike is partially right. You need a fountain pen all right, but it needs a gold nib. Can’t think of anything else right now.

Are you wanting a tool just for drawing the outlines before inking with pens? If so, an HP or H pencil should do the trick – many artists draw with pencil first and then erase if necessary … softer pencils will leave dirtier marks when erased and are best kept for pencil drawings.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

I’m a bit lost… what is the actual problem here? You want a softer tip that will dig in and provide feedback, but will not splay on you?

If so, then Mike is partially right. You need a fountain pen all right, but it needs a gold nib. Can’t think of anything else right now.

He can try a dip pen as well.. it is cheaper to test and check if the feeling of a flex nib is what he wants.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.