Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching The Classroom Basics 101: Class 2 – Foundation of Perspective – Old thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,715 total)
  • Author
    JayD

Basic 101: Class 2

Eye Level: Foundation of Perspective

The source for this class can be found on Pages 15 through 19 of Rudy de Reyna’s How to Draw What You See.

Welcome to Class 2 of Basics 101. We are going to be covering the concept of eye level as it pertains to the successful laying out of perspective. The guest lecture series will take this class one step further with an excellent section devoted to one, two and three point perspectives. I urge you to do these simple exercises first before moving into the lecture hall.

Materials:

1. # 2 pencil or pencil you used in the last class

2. Paper—same as last class

3. Feel free to use a ruler this time around

Exercise 1: To demonstrate the concept of eye level, lay on the floor on you back. I did this in preparation for the class and woke up 45 minutes later. Please do not follow my example and take a nap. Instead, look up at everything around you and mentally break any objects that you see into geometric objects—mentally eliminate the detail. Even though this seems obvious, note that for most of these objects you will see the BOTTOMS of these shapes. Now, pick out an object and sit up and keep your eyes FIXED on the chosen object. Note that the object’s point of view changes as you raise to a sitting position. Now keeping your eye on the object, stand up slowly and continue to observe the change until the tops of the object come into view. Eye level is THAT simple yet it is such a natural occurrence for us that many of us (read ME) forget to make this basic observation. If you can establish eye level you can correctly work out perspective. The level at which your eye views an object is called the “horizon” line. (Figure A) There are an infinite number of horizon lines.

Vanishing Points

At this point, having learned my lesson from the last class, I am going to label our images as figure A, B, C and so on.

A vanishing point is an IMAGINERY point on the horizon line. There are in infinite number of vanishing points and it is up to you to fix the vanishing point according to your viewpoint. Your vanishing points will always be located ON the horizon line (eye level) that you establish. (See Figure B) In one point perspective, there is only one vanishing point. In two-point perspective there are two vanishing points and so forth. You will find examples of these in the guest lecture area.

The Cube In Perspective:

Exercise 2:

Follow these steps to create a cube in perspective (see also figure C)

a. Draw a rectangle or a square anywhere on your paper. This is the front of your cube..

b. Establish your horizon line (your eye level) and lightly draw it on the paper (you can also just do this in your head as many of us are prone to do).

c. Pick you vanishing point.

d. Connect the lines running from each of the edged of the Square or Rectangle to the vanishing point.

e. Add lines parallel to the front of the cubes along the lines running to the vanishing point (see figure C)

When you do this exercise, draw the cube several times using different vanishing points and horizon lines (eye levels).(see Figure D)

The mighty cube is a perfect visual example of the three dimensions: height, depth and width. If you can clearly define and then incorporate these dimensions into the objects that you draw, then you will be able to draw realistically.

Each dimension can vary. The height of the cube can be greater the depth or the width could be the biggest dimension of all three. Keeping this fact in mind will speed up your progress as an artist.

Exercise 3:

Look about your home and locate four boxes. When you have finished practicing the cubes, draw the boxes and add detail to them such as packaging design or lettering (if it is on you box). Do several studies of these boxes with detail but at different eye levels. Keep in mind eye level (horizon line) and vanishing point.

Exercise 4:

Taking your newfound artistic superpowers draw and post the following items.:

1. A Television (with detail)

2. A box of Kleenex (with detail)

3. A table

4. Redo the chair exercise from the previous class—only this time CHANGE THE HORIZON LINE (EYE LEVEL) and post. I will be doing the chair again for another class (Drawing with Cubic Objects). Use an ordinary straight dining chair (on the recommendation of Robin Neudorfer, class tutor), changing the eyelevel from the previous exercise. [changed 16 May 2008] post ref with exercise

FINALLY,

At the guest lecture hall you will find examples of one, two, and three point perspective. Go over these lectures and then try you hand at applying two and three point perspective to the subjects in exercise 4.

For those of you with buildings or outdoor scenes, take a crack at establishing your horizon lines in one, two and three point perspective. Correct the perspective in your drawing if needed. TIP: SKETCH OUT YOUR DRAWING FREEHAND AND THEN CORRECT THE DRAWING USING PERSPECTIVE.

I have included some reference photos that I took that you can try your skills out on OR you can grab some from the reference library.

Good luck and happy drawing!

PS–DONT FORGET TO TRY YOUR HAND AT STOY’S WEEKLY DRAWING THREAD!

PSS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
        Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs–PLEASE READ
        Basic 101:Class1

catmandolin.deviantart.com

JayD

Here are the practice photos mentioned in the lesson and dont forget to go to the guest lecture hall for Mitzi’s lecture on perspective. :) See if you can locate the horizon line and vanishing points. How would you do these as drawings.

Jet

Welcome to class #2…

JayD, thanks …

I’d like to let everyone know that there is plenty of info on this subject on the Faqs thread..

There is one Elementary Perspective Lesson that goes together perfectly with this lesson…
                Among many more advanced lessons on perspective, in different links scattered all around that thread…

Thanks again !!

Kind Regards

~ [FONT=Book Antiqua]Jet ~:cool: [/COLOR]
                **-An idea whose time has come.[/COLOR] is stronger than all the armies in the world.- Victor Hugo [/COLOR]
                -Don't just learn the tricks of the trade.> Learn the trade.-

daniellat

Any possibility that this can be stickied as well?

Just a thought. Thank you moderators!!

Daniella, who is drawing impaired!! :rolleyes:

Daniella

RuiFromUK

Hi JayD, et al

This morning I walked into this office and I was straight onto WC to see if there was a new lesson! You guys are just marvelous. Thank you, thank you. :clap:

This weekend I also received the book from Amazon and the pdf file.

The biggest problem (looking at it again, I think it is not a problem at all) I am having at the moment is that I keep on dreaming of straight lines and circles. :D

Thank you once again for the excellent work you are doing.

Kind regards.

Rui

p.s. Daniella – Yuppie! We can use a ruler this week!

Kind regards.
                        Rui

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
                        "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
                        Socrates.
                        JayD

Jet, I think we are going to brain fry everybody on perspective this week! :D Scratchmaster is also working on a tutorial and I have invited him to post it a well. Perspective is too important a subject to bypass and all ‘perspectives’ are welcome.

I actually HEAVILY edited my simplified intro to the subject because the guest lecture was so thorough. That left me time to focus on putting the excercises together.

Daniella, I have pmed Murray the Artdude and have asked him to sticky the class so we will have to wait and see.

Rui, last night I had two dreams: In the first, my laboratory director was now the director of the North Carolina State Zoo–for his first “big” exhibition he brought in a housecat–go figure. In the second dream someone did a portrait of Rudy de Reyna for the guest lecture series and I was rushing to get it posted–Strangely, in the dream, DeReyna looked for like Goya. :D

llanpe

Thanks Jay, for this new class in something as important as perspective. I already did the first exercise (lay down on the floor, …. and didnt sleep :D )
                                Peter

Thank you for looking my work. Your critiques and comments are important for me.
                                JayD

I hope you get a lot of this Peter–Perspective seems to be the topic of the week and you don’t have to DO everything on here–there is a little bit for everyone to try. thanks-jay :)

Deb Leger

Great lesson, Jay!

I’ve been working on my lunchhour at the pdf and it’s all ready. Jay, I’m just waiting for a pm with your email address. Ann and Cathie, you should both have a copy now.

I have a few people on a list also, all of whom should also have their copy.

Now, back to work…………

Deb

Cathie Jones

Great lesson, Jay!

I’ve been working on my lunchhour at the pdf and it’s all ready. Jay, I’m just waiting for a pm with your email address. Ann and Cathie, you should both have a copy now.

I have a few people on a list also, all of whom should also have their copy.

Now, back to work…………

Deb

Thanks, Deb. I’m at work today and have a class right after work, so it’ll be later tonight before I get it on the web site.

JayD

Thanks, folks–it is EXTREMELY simplified but it follows what De Reyna outlines in his book so I was a bit worried that it was over simplified. Anyway, I hope the excercises make up for it.

In researching this piece I was amazed at how many types of perspective there are:

1,2 and 3 point perspectives
                                                perspective rules for curves and circles
                                                atmospheric perspective
                                                box grid construction
                                                reflections
                                                sunlight and shadows
                                                anamorphosis
                                                curvilinear perspective

no wonder this can be such a confusing subject. There is a lot to cover.

If anybody out there wants to cover any of these subjects for a guest lecture–jump right in. :)

idcrisis55

Thanks Deb! Lesson 2 .pdf is up on my site. The link is in my signature line :)

The lesson looks good JayD. At first with the worm’s eye view, I thought it was the top instead of the bottom I was seeing so I sketched in lines on the bottom. Goofy eyes lol.

Ann

daniellat

I am banging my head against the wall. This is so very frustrating to me. I feel stupid, but I know I am not. I have too many advanced degrees to be stupid, but this is just greek to me, and I took 5 years of Greek in school!! It ain’t helping a bit!

I have read chapter 2 in the book – 3 times. And it makes perfect sense. I have read your lesson plan. And it makes perfect sense. In theory. When I try to put it into operation, I am dumbfounded. Makes no sense. I think I am tired. I am going to take a nap now. Wake me up on lesson 3 please!! :wink2:

Daniella

Daniella

JayD

Danielle, pm me when you get a chance and let me know if there is anything that I can help you with–perspective is very frustrating :)

L2isa2

Hi JayD,

I would love to but I cannot get to grips with the basics of perspective !!

Sorry but will have ago !!

Got my knickers in a twist with the lesson you gave and then was really confused when I went to look at the guest lecture !

I have a total mental block on thisone :(

Will post my efforts during the week :)

Thank you for all your hard work :)
                                                                Regards
                                                                Lisa

:D A friend is some one who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,715 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Basics 101: Class 2 – Foundation of Perspective – Old thread’ is closed to new replies.