Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing How do I mix cerulean blue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    AJRHINO

Hi all,

I’m new to painting and have been doing lessons on YouTube from Bob Ross and Wilson Bickford. A few of the paintings I would like to attempt require cerulean blue. I do not have this color and would like to know if I can mix it with what I’ve got. I have Prussian blue, titanium white, phthalo blue, phthalo green, liquid white. I have other colors but I don’t think they would be in the mix. Thanks in advance for your recipe.

AJ.

WFMartin

Well, Cerulean Blue is one of the most overrated colors I’ve ever seen, actually, because it can be so easily, and accurately achieved with a mixture. Once I discovered the primary color, Cyan in the form of Thalo Blue, I never bought another tube of Cerulean Blue.

You really should have a “real” Cerulean Blue on your palette with which to compare your mixture, so you’ll know when you’ve achieved it.

In short, Cerulean Blue is just a dirtier (grayer) version of the primary color, Cyan (best represented by Thalo Blue PB15), with plenty of White to keep it light in value.

I’ve often mixed nearly a dead match to Cerulean Blue using Thalo Blue, White, and enough Yellow or Red to gray its chroma a bit.

Difficult to explain exactly the proportions you will require of these colors, without your having a real Cerulean Blue for comparison, though.

But, can it be mixed? Yes, it surely can be mixed!

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

KolinskyRed

Yes, excellent advice. Each tube of paint you have has its own tinting strength, both much stronger than Cerulean, I think.

I would add that my approach would be the following:

Lay out a daub of your Prussian Blue, and tint it with white in a series:

10X Prussian to 1X White…. so, adding one tenth as much white.

From your pile, take a wee bit and paint out a sample swatch (1×1 inch).

10X Prussian to 2 x White… however much white you added in the previous step, say “one drop” add the same amount again, another “drop”.

Again, take a wee bit and paint out a sample swatch beside the first swatch.

To the mix pile, add TWO “drops” of white. Mix, and take a wee bit and paint out your sample swatch beside the first two.

To the mix pile, add FOUR “drops” of white. Mix, and take a wee bit and paint out your sample swatch beside the first two.

and so on… the logic being each swatch has double the white content of the previous swatch. Do this until the swatch sample series is a very pale blue.

For the Phthalo Blue, it is a VERY powerful paint, and will easily tint the white, so I would recommend starting with a white pile of paint. To this add a pencil dot of phthalo blue. Mix it up and see how that looks. Paint out a sample swatch.

Add another pencil dot… mix, paint swatch.
                Next, add two pencil dots worth of Phthalo blue, mix, paint out swatch.

And so on…. doubling the amount of Phthalo Blue each time.

Now, I would assess my swatches about how they look to you. Do they look too reddish? You can try with the remainder of the two mix piles to do the following:

To the mix pile, add just a pencil dot of Phthalo green… assuming there is still a blob of paint in the mix pile – the Phthalo Green would be about 1/50th or less to start. Mix, paint a swatch, assess a comparison. Adjust as you would wish.

You will be developing excellent mixing skills, learning about the paints, “seeing” what is really going on, and be able to assess how your mixes look in comparison to Mr. Ross’s skies.

Believe me when I say there isn’t a fixed answer – each of the three blues in question have different look and more importantly, different handling characteristics. So, tinting with white, and possible adjusting with Phthalo Green if you like it, should be the path to a solution. And, you will be developing your painterly skills.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Patrick1

Yup…Titanium White + Phthalo Blue should get very close. Then if it’s a bit too chromatic, you can add a tiny bit of black or red, or even Prussian Blue to dull it down a tad.

KolinskyRed

…. yes, as Patrick posts, adjusting your mixes – if too colourful – as he recommends…

Patrick1

Kolinsky – I started my message before yours was uploaded…so I was in agreement with Bill…but I’m in agreement with yours too :p

Yes – it’s possible that a tiny amount of Phthalo Green might be needed if the mix is not quite greenish enough to match the desired Cerulean Blue. Learning to discern small hue and chroma variations in order to achieve a target color is a very important skill.

WFMartin

One factor that must be addressed when mixing your “own version” of ANY color is that of the possible overtone of that mixed version, compared to the real thing.

An overtone of any color is the hue to which the color shifts when White is added to it. For example, A tubed, Cadmium Orange becomes Redder, when white it mixed into it. (In other words, it becomes “Pink”, instead of “Light Orange”.) This hue shift is called an overtone. The overtone of a hand-mixed Orange usually exhibits a decided Yellow shift, by comparison. While the two may appear exactly the same color when freshly mixed, they may behave vastly differently when white is mixed with them. This effect may also bias your color in which that mixed color is used as an “ingredient color” with other colors, just as it creates a hue bias when White is mixed with it.

So, be aware that there actually may be a difference in the “mixing characteristics” of your mixed version of Cerulean Blue compared to the real Cerulean Blue.

Whether or not there will be a noticeable overtone hue shift of your mix can only be determined after you have mixed it, and have compared the shift with a real, Cerulean Blue, after having mixed white with each of them.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Gigalot

Prussian blue mixed with Zinc White or Zinc-Titanium White is almost ideal Cerulean Blue color imitation. To mix Cerulean, take a White paint, which is more transparent than regular titanium white paint. There are Zinc White, Mixing White or just Titanium White oil paint with a lot of filler into it.

Anonymous

Most paint makers use phthalos, maybe another cobalt or ultra, and white to mix their cerulean blue hue.
                                        My Charvin cerulean blue hue is beautiful and it is phthalo, cobalt, white.

llawrence

All respect to the other posters here, but duplicating the color of a pigment with a mix of other pigments is not the same as duplicating that pigment.

A titanium white and Prussian blue (or phthalo blue) mix will yield mixing properties completely unlike cerulean blue, even if you do get a dead ringer for the color out of the tube.

I haven’t watched these videos from Bob Ross and Wilson Bickford, but they may well be using cerulean blue for its mixing properties, especially for its wonderfully low tinting strength, which is one of the things that make it such a pleasure to use in skin tones. Titanium white, Prussian blue and phthalo blue all have much higher tinting strength, and if you’re attempting to follow a mixing tutorial with one of these substitutions, you may have a hard time with it.

I know I did when I tried it. Da Vinci paints has a “Cerulean Blue Hue” that is a mix of titanium white and Prussian blue, and I bought it as a student because I was poor and I didn’t yet understand about tinting strength. My portrait instructor took one look at the tube and groaned. I said what’s the matter? He said nothing, go ahead and try it. It wasn’t long before I discarded the tube as useless (or at least more trouble than it was worth), and bought myself a tube of the real McCoy. There are reasons cerulean blue is a highly prized color, especially for portraiture, despite the fact that its color is easily mixed. In my opinion, it is not overrated at all.

If you really want to duplicate the properties of cerulean blue beyond just its color, you will need to counter the high tinting strength of those other paints with one of much lower tinting strength. In an experiment just now, I had pretty good luck with a mix of Prussian blue, titanium white and a lot of calcite (Rublev’s Velazquez Medium, in this case), the last of which acted as the low-tinting-strength foil. I got a near dead-ringer for the color, and the tinting strength was comparable. (Lead white worked better than titanium white, due to its lower tinting strength, and I imagine zinc white would as well – but these might not be opaque enough for a cerulean imitation). I’m becoming fond of using calcite as a tinting-strength reducer, and it certainly worked well for that in this case.

opainter

By now, you may have already taken the advice of others who have replied above me in this thread.

If not, I would suggest that you try mixing a small amount of phthalo blue with titanium white. Phthalo blues are strongly pigmented, so you will need only a little bit. If you can match cerulaean blue with phthalo blue, then fine! Otherwise, you will just have to try your other colors.

The pigment known as phthalo blue actually comes in several chemical variants, which result in somewhat different hues. The phthalo blue that is most commonly used is phthalo blue (green shade) – sometimes just phthalo blue (gs) – and this is the variant that will produce a cerulean-like color when mixed with white.

A titanium white and Prussian blue (or phthalo blue) mix will yield mixing properties completely unlike cerulean blue, even if you do get a dead ringer for the color out of the tube.

Absolutely true. If you are going to use this color more than just a few times, it is absolutely recommended that you obtain the real thing.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                                :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                                :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

KolinskyRed

I wouldn’t recommend spending three times the price for a tube of real Cerulean versus a tube of Phthalo Blue for the painting techniques in the videos mentioned.

The virtues of true Cerulean as mentioned in previous posts are valid, but only in the contexts cited above.

To those who have taken an interest, do check out the techniques of these videos: Search their names Bob Ross or Wilson Bickford in Youtube, there are many posted videos. A pre-painted wet canvas covered in wet blendable white. Then very large brushes tinted with Phthalo, or Prussian Blue, or Ultramarine. Dabbed and tapped and twisted into the wet white etc…. happy clouds across very large canvas blue skies. A king’s ransom in true Cerulean to do that… :angel:

Bill’s first post shared with us it is do-able with the Titanium White + Phthalo Blue mix, I’d definitely go that route. Naturally, to each his/her own :)

Bastet469

IMHO Whether you need Cerulean or not depends on how you’re gonna use it. I think everybody has a point about the hazzards of using alternative pigments in color mixes. If the mix requires Cerulean, there may be a reason. Once you get more familiar with characteristics of various pigments, you will be in a better position to decide if an alternative one will work in a particular mix.

However if you are using it as a nice sky, ocean or some other greenish blue subject color, the difference between Cerulean and an alternative, may not matter.

As far as cost goes, I find that using single pigments like Cerulean save me money in the long run. I get warm and cool versions of the three primaries; red, yellow and blue. It’s called a Split Primary Palette. Put the term in this forum’s search box or on google to find out more about it.

Cerulean is my cool blue and Ultramarine is my warm one. Since I can get just about any blue I want out of those two, I don’t have to buy a bunch of additional paint if I don’t want or can’t afford to. So when I add up the cost of the 6 (w/white 7), it ends up being less than buying 10-20 more tubes of less expensive paint.

So that’s my 2 cents. Happy painting 🎨

-wendy

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"I like kids' work more than work by real artists any day."
                                                        -Jean-Michel Basquiat [FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                                                        Boy and Dog in a Johnnypump

Anonymous

These are all different, but which ones are real genuine cerulean blue and which ones are phonies?

good luck, even the real cerulean blues look very different from each other :lol:
                                                            ps, they all work just fine.

Anonymous

so the first one is my own mix of phthalo and titanium white, it is the most saturated blue color there, then WN Artisan Cerulean Blue Hue, which is a quasi , dull substitute for real cerulean, then an old Perm Pigment genuine Cerulean, then Charvin Cerulean Hue, then Blue Ridge genuine Cerulean.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘How do I mix cerulean blue’ is closed to new replies.