WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Michigan-USA

Hails from United States
Re: Brayers!!!

Bad news, the 12" brayer I made had a low spot in the center of the rubber material going lengthwise across the surface of the rubber. This made the sides of the brayer rubber get ink but left a dry spot in the middle. Not usable at all!

So I replaced it with a 10" and the same thing happened.

I will make a complete informative post on the subject once I get this problem figured out sometime this summer.

Jason
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Lake Arrowhead, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakytails
Bad news, the 12" brayer I made had a low spot in the center of the rubber material going lengthwise across the surface of the rubber. This made the sides of the brayer rubber get ink but left a dry spot in the middle. Not usable at all!
Jason

I've purchased two 8" brayers with the same result. They were only speedball, so I wasn't out too much $$$. I was chatting with an artist from IMcclains, http://theforestryservice.com, and he said ponying up for a high quality brayer had one of the biggest effects on his ability to pull usuable prints. So, I'm saving the lunch money.

BTW-Jason, visited your website. Nice work. Your Last Grayling print was a punch in the gut. I could see a series developing out of that.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I ordered a 8.5 inch Japanese soft rubber brayer from McLains last week...still awaiting arrival. I have a 6 inch and 4 inch pop out soft rubber brayers from Speedball...they are my mainstays and both deliver good results. The smaller pop out roller makes it so easy for cleanup...especially for removing oil based inks off of it.
I made the mistake a couple of years back of ordering a cheap eighteen dollar 8" brayer from Daniel Smith. I was very disappointed with it as the roller had a slight waffle type texture to it and really did not roll ink out well...probably used for anything else but printmaking.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Just a note on maintaining brayers...

Once you've found one you love (cheap or expensive), be sure to store it properly. The rubber should never be stored resting on a surface. Always store the brayer making sure the roller is clear of everything. If stored improperly for a long time, there may be some minute invisible indentation which will affect the brayer.

Diane
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

great advice Diane
I hang one or two of mine from a ceiling support beam using cup hooks in my studio (the small handles have a tiny hole drilled through wood handle)
for the other rollers with plastic or metal handle I used two long wood screws spaced apart that I can set the brayer vertical to hang against a beam....the rollers face out so they don't touch any surface. I am planning on either finding an old medicine cabinet or constructing a slim wood cabinet with a a door. These would have open narrow slots in a strip of wood inside that the roller handles can slide into and the rollers hang suspended in a vertical position. (think of a fancy teaspoon rack...same concept). Having it dark would help keep out UV light & prevent the rubber rollers drying out and cracking.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 04-25-2008 at 01:06 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Yes, thank you for the good advice. I've not been aware of this potential issue, and have stored my two small brayers improperly. Hopefully not too long.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

The brayers with holes in the handles are on hooks; the others I hook by their backs onto a magnetic knife hanger (kitchen gadget).
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hijacking this thread with another brayer question...

I recently splashed out on a 10"wide x 2" diam (250 x 50mm) rubber brayer (roller) which I just absolutely love, although it was really expensive (in my book anyway), see it here: http://www.lawrence.co.uk/acatalog/Rubber.html

I am obviously worried that the rubber will become sticky or damaged over time - any advice on how to care for it. At the moment I simply roll it through clean water after use and gently wipe dry, but already the rubber are showing tiny scratches - should I worry or do things differently? How do you clean yours?

Annamie
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States

Note that a brayer will last longer (a good one for a very long time) if
you clean it with a roller wash (such as Varn 133) just before you put it away. This removes an residue left from other solvents.

Dean
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Thanks Dean,

I googled Varn 133 and it seems to be readily available in the US but it'll be too expensive to be shipped to Ireland - anyone locally or in UK know of a similar product?

annamie
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 AM

My woodcuts are pretty big (average is about 18X24), and the speedball diameter is too small to load enough ink. After I graduated and lost access to the school studio, I was stuck with speedballs and hated printing with them. It was depressing. A couple years ago friends and family chipped in for my birthday and got me a Takach 8" brayer. Awesome! I highly recommend you save up for one. You will love it so much you will sew it a little sweater and give it a pillow to sleep on. I just bought another one. 4" this time. There are other brands that make high quality brayers too, like Inugie's English Brayer, about the same price, I think. And Holbein brayers are nice, too. I think those are what my school studio stocked. There is a European brand called Hauer that makes an expensive brayer, but I don't know good it is. Any reviews? Speedballs are for smaller dimensions, and work well for that purpose, but if you work large, please do yourself a favor and ditch the speedballs ASAP.