Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Legal Corner I was accused in art theft, give your opinion please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nightshimmer

Greeting to all,

I’m extremely sorry if I don’t have rights to create this topic or posting in the wrong thread. I’m new here and could missed something in the rules.

I will be glad to receive your unprejudiced opinion.

I have a problem with one browser game moderator and member. I submitted a work to an art competition held by one of the players and was accused in plagiarism.

Colors, markings, fur type and age were described by competition starter, the characters have close relations. My idea was to show shyness and coquetry of female cat and bravery of the male cat who tries to defend her, remembering that both of them cat “teenagers” and feeling expressions can be somewhat funny.

So what happened, step by step.
        1. I was accused in plagiarizing these 2 works of Kamirah, including pose, style and lineart. You can see those works in attachment (3rd and 4th images). My work is attached too along with the overlay and stages in GIF-format.
        2. After I provided overlay and links to other artists who draw Disney style, the accusation of plagiarizing the style wasn’t mentioned anymore but I was accused in “eyeballing lineart”.
        2. As there’s no such term as “eyeballing” in any of the trusted online sources (Wikipedia for example) and I always thought that it means “recreating the image as close to the original as you can”, I asked to prove that my work is plagiarized, because the overlay shows that there’s not a single line which is the same and the poses are somewhat different too (I agree that one cat is sitting, other is standing but they’re not the same). I received no arguments.
        4. I offered to provide stages. I was told that it’s not a proof.
        5. I offered to provide my other works in this style. I was told that it’s not a proof and in addition I was accused by competition starter that these works were copied from Kamirah too.
        6. I offered to record a video: I will draw a cat of any age, color, breed and pose that they name in the same style. I was told that it’s not a proof.
        7. I offered to write Kamirah to be a judge and asked for an email where she can send her answer. I understand that there’s no problem to distort the answer which will be received only by me so I wanted moderator to recieve a direct answer which I can’t falsify. IMO, there can’t be a better judge in this arguement than the author of the works which I was accused in copying of. The moderator didn’t give me her email. I got only another accusation that I “don’t get it” and “just changed some minor details”.

I never denied that Kamirah was one of the artists whose works I used to study Disney-style drawing (I’m quite new to it) but I never submitted these studies anywhere. The image I’m talking of was created from scratch with only reference: colors and markings provided by competition holder.

Am I right or not? What did I do wrong? I don’t know other ways of proving the original authorship of the image except the ones I lsted above. What other arguments and proofs should I provide to prove that this is my work which wasn’t copied from anyone (if not to mention using Disney style which obviously wasn’t invented by me)? Or are these works undesignedly came out so similar that there’s no way to proof that I didn’t copied Kamirah’s art?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I want to apologise to Kamirah for mentioning her name in such unpleasent topic. I really adore her works and don’t want to bring her any bad emotions.

Greg Long

My opinion would be to ignore those that made the accusation. You will not change their minds anyway. If that is their opinion of you, even after your submission of your work-up drawings, the chances of getting any satisfaction out of persuing it further is slim.
            The only result will be more satisfaction for those that accused you, knowing how upset you are.

roxyart

The two drawings look different to me. It makes me wonder, also, if something else might be going on. Jealousy, perhaps?

If it worries you, if they were to sue you, they’d have to prove you were making money off their design. I’d say that would be very unlikely.

I agree. Ignore them. This style of art will have similarities and while you used a similar kind of posing, it’s also poses that are used in LOTS of fan/manga/furry style artwork. The poses are actually different, as is the placing and proporation of most of the limbs, and of course the colouring is different.

While a sort of “familial” similarity is there I think that’s simply due to the style of artwork. Yours looks different even though it might remind people of another’s artists. It’s a bit like with Manga and anime art – there is a recognisable similarity between a lot of artists. Using a certain style of poses and features is not copying.

Move on. Presumably it’s a private website and private contest so you won’t win anything by arguing anyway.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

mariposa-art

Having a style that is reminiscent of another artist is not “plagiarism.” It’s having as style that is reminiscent of someone else. And let’s not forget—this other artist (and presumably all the artists in this “contest”) are doing work in the “Disney-style,” so I guess that makes them ALL “plagiarists” by their own standard, right?

It looks to me that you got good at drawing in this “style” and that’s what’s freaking them out. You can back up all your claims with proof (your offer to draw something on video was a good move—it’s hard to fake that) and they don’t want to hear it. I think they just don’t want to admit that you’re good and that they were wrong in accusing you. So better to just give ineffectual claims of “you just don’t get it” rather than retract what they initially said about you.

If Kamirah is on deviantart, why don’t you just send her a PM yourself through dA? She can post something on her dA blog if she is inclined.

It’s a shame that you have to deal with such small-minded people. You have a lot of talent and skill. I foresee you using this skill in many other artistic applications in the future, so the last laugh will be on you! :D

P.S. I just found Kamirah on dA. She seems approachable to me. I say, contact her yourself.

P.P.S. I understand that doing fan art is fun (and I’ve done my share of fan art too, so I’m not saying I’m “above” it) but let’s be honest here. These people are all FULL OF IT. You all are doing derivative work in the “Disney” style. They need to get over themselves and stop dragging down someone (you) who has cultivated some drawing skill. I am sure I won’t be the first to encourage you to branch out and do other types and styles of drawing (you are very good!) because then you won’t have to deal with closed-minded freak idiots who will accuse you of this kind of nonsense. Some of the fan art subcultures (like manga, cartooning fan art, and others) are populated by a certain amount of nutcases. Who needs to deal with this? :(

mame

Per Deviantart – artist’s reproduction/copies of My Little Pony’s Applejack and The Lion King’s Simba?

Horsa

Ignore them.

If there is any real basis to the claims of plagiarism and theft the actually aggrieved parties can and will take you to court. Until and unless that happens it is just a bunch of peole blowing smoke.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Nightshimmer

Thanks to all for your time and advice, I really appreciate it :)
                                I will know that something wrong is with other party, not with my art. I usually work in other styles and don’t know the rules in this particular style, so I was afraid that I could unintetionally plagiarised someone’s art. I didn’t see the signs of plagiarism too but I’m prejudiced because it’s my work :)
                                I will ignore those people (there’s a bunch of other places where someone can take part in competitions to develop the skills!). My artist part of soul is calmed now :)

Greg Long

My artist part of soul is calmed now :)

Good.:thumbsup:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • The topic ‘I was accused in art theft, give your opinion please’ is closed to new replies.