WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 102 - Class 13 - Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappie
Tyree - Drawing one has a impressionistic look and I like it, you may want to try just three round objects on the front of tree, odd numbers work out better in nature. Tree two good form,texture and depth looking good.
thank you for kind critique...i never even thought of the odd number on this one...its so very dark,,and its on not very forgivable paper..so four may have to stick..but i will keep that in mind!!!! tyree
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminerose
tyee I love your work its very unique . and everyone has done so great a job. thanks Diane for you help its awsome too have a free online class like this cause Im too sick too go too a class in the real world . thanks agian.jasmine
thank you Jasmine...id stick with Jasminerose ,,cuz its how we know ya!!! your second assignment came out very well,,particularily the bark...good job...tyree
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM

Hails from Canada

My apologies to everyone.........

When I signed on today, I noticed that I posted the wrong sketch in message 115. It is Diane's sketch and not mine.

I have pm Diane with my apologies. and have asked JayD to remove the message from the board.

I've been saving Diane's tutorials and some how mixed up the two sketches.

This is what I should have posted.

Connie M.
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

[quote=bayside girl]My apologies to everyone.........

When I signed on today, I noticed that I posted the wrong sketch in message 115. It is Diane's sketch and not mine.

Well I'm glad I gave you a good crit.
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Here is my first attempt on the bark - assignment #2.
I hope it's okay that I've taken my own reference photo. It is a birch tree in our garden which I grew up myself (you know what I mean, I miss the correct word).

I used F, B and 3B wooden pencils on a smooth thick paper/board. The size is about 15 x 10 cm (sorry, I don't know the inches right now - the site isn't available in the moment... )

Last edited by Dreamsun : 03-26-2007 at 06:24 PM.
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

martina, my first thought seeing your drawing was Ah, a birch tree!!

Should have followed my intuition to wait for the leaf exercises to finish this tree, but I decided to finish it before moving on to the next one... I was pretty clueless. I figured I would draw entire and bits and pieces of leaves, and fill in some and leave some white, drawn negatively. I thought you would end up not knowing which leaf is which, hoping to end up with a mass that looks like leaves... The tree was probably happier without the leaves.

trying to wrap my brain around some of the negative-drawing-way-of-thinking...

Should I make it freeze and erase all the leaves?
I like Tyrees, by the way.
frieda
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Hey Frieda,
I like the tree including the leaf/foliage. Maybe the differenz of bigness of the leaf in front and the leaf in the back is a bit too much, but I like it.
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 07:18 PM
United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

Hey Everyone,

Your trees are amazing! I would love to be able to draw trees like this, I'm going to have to have a go! Thanks Diane for putting together such a brilliant class, it looks so well laid out I actually think I could learn to do this really well!

Here are the trees I've already done, please let me know what you think:

Frozen in the Moonlight

Bonsai Tree

C&C Always Welcome, I aim to improve!

Please visit my Art Blog and Flickr Gallery to see more of my art!
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
PS--Diane--I did use the negative space concept, especially to form the mid-size branches that were so twisty--I went back and did the class on negative space when I read about it so much on WC. It really helps me to think in that way when drawing something complex--.

Joane - I thought so! And the tree limbs show the importance of the areas around the limbs. NICE!!!

Quote:
If we are not all eventually rich and famous it will not be your fault!!!
Ruth - I have to get there first!!! lol

Diane
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Hails from United States

Joane - Much improved!! The shadow on the left adds so much depth!

Tyree - Nicely done! I see you are working on creating dark crevices in the detail trunk!!! Your next drawing is coming along great. I like the space between the two main branches. The smaller branches may be just a little too straight - look for those subtle kinks and bends to give interest in those branches. The front area of your tree looks incomplete? I'm thinking you need to continue your shading down, plant that tree with some roots and add some grass infront? BRAVO for nice work!!!

Quote:
i wish i could do the detail of the others here

It could be the paper you are using! Canson doesn't lend itself well to finer detail. If cost is an issue the Hammermill or Wausau papers that have been mentioned by some others, may be an option. I still prefer the Strathmore Bristol Board Smooth 300 Series paper. I can control the amount of detail I want as well as how light or dark of values I want to achieve.

Quote:
is this any better ? you know I went out today and looked at the trees in my street . like really looked . wow they are amazing they all have diffrent bark
Jasmine - The texture of bark is improving. I can tell that you are starting to 'see'! You will find that the more you look, the more you see, the more you see the more you understand. The more you understand, the more you will be able to draw.

Regarding using your real name? If you are asking, maybe you aren't ready to share it!!! Feel free to remain Jasmine - we know you by that name and staying in 'incognito' would be fun!
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Fab trees All! I'll be back later to get a better look. I just adore these classes with every one.

Jasmine-I am sorry you are not well
Keep your name the way as you feel more comfortable-I want you to feel safe here.

Stage 1 of assignment 2-not happy yet with the texture and shape-perhaps it will help to print out a lighter image of the ref. This is about 3 hours into it. About 10" high.
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Hails from United States

Connie - Wow! You've got it girl! This is awesome. You've got nice texture and it really reads as a tree. The only suggestion would be to push the darks, but you've got the basics down!

Quote:
I hope it's okay that I've taken my own reference photo. It is a birch tree in our garden which I grew up myself.
Martina - What a beautiful tree! That is great that you are using your own reference photo. It has a special meaning for you and it fits perfectly with the assignment!!!

I can you are working to understand those dark crevices. I can feel each one as you create each of those pencil strokes. That is great! Now...even though your photo reference shows an almost white bark, it really has delicate detail lines and shading and it's own unique texture. Depending on how much detail you want to show. Leaving them too white is giving the impression of being flat which doesn't allow the tree trunk look cylindar all the way across.

Frieda - The leaves look good. They can be overwhelming because there are so darn many of them! Just remember, you don't HAVE to draw every single one! Drawing in shadows and highlights (squinting helps to see general shapes and values) and then drawing in just a few with more detail is all that is needed. The ones that are completely silhouetted with the sky should have proper shape so they read like leaves for the viewer. Excellent first attempt!!! No freezing allowed...leave the leaves just as they are!

Martina is right too...I'm thinking some of the variance in leaf sizes is causing confusion in our perspective. Yeah...you heard it right...perspective. We have to follow perspective rules, even in nature!!

Quote:
Here are the trees I've already done, please let me know what you think
Angela - Welcome to class! I'm going to refrain from making comments about your work. I'd like to suggest that you read the lesson, join in on the assignments, post your efforts and at the end of the class, answer that question yourself!

KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK EVERYONE! I AM SO IMPRESSED!:

Diane
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Hails from United States

Judi - Oh my gosh...the depth and texture and feeling of those branches!!!! Those subtle highlights of reflecting off each piece of bark....just yummy.... I have to start taking lessons from you!!!

Diane
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM

*overwhelmed with joy*

Diane, thank you for this compliment. That means sooooooooo very much to me! you encouraged me unbelivable much (I'm talking nonsense I think but I hope you know what I mean).
Now I can go sleep with a satisfied happy artists heart.

Judy - I love love love this tree!!!!

Last edited by Dreamsun : 03-26-2007 at 09:36 PM.
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Question Re: Basic 102 - Class 13 - Trees

Wow, So many different variations!! I am learning just watching everybody!
I worked on the 3rd root off and on all week. I reworked the bark a bit, and added the light source, hopefully it looks better? Comments and pointers are welcome, please? Thanks... Take care....