WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Basic 101 Class 24 - Drawing Water

Basic 101 Class 24
Water

Introduction:

Water, water everywhere and entirely too much to say. To say that water permeates our lives is a complete understatement. It truly is everywhere—it is even in us. You can go without food but you CANNOT live without water. Here’s a riddle: how do you hold in your hand a shoreline?

Let me know if you figure out the answer.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:02 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101 Class 24

You have to keep in mind that drawing water, like drawing glass is totally dependent upon what surrounds it. By the way, NEVER google the phrase “drawing water”. Anyway, water is a thing of personality—it runs, it lies stills, it bubbles, it steams, it brooks, it freezes, it rains, it pours and you can skate on it, roll it into balls, drive a train with it, drink it, wash with it, cook with it, power the sewage system with an even use it to generate electricity. The industrial revolution was brought about in part by the invention of the waterwheel. I have no idea how I would classify water because it is the chameleon of all things natural. It can literally be anything and we need it to be anything.

So it is no surprise that when you draw water you have to think about things like tone, value and reflection—just like glass—the difference is that glass stays put—water? Well, it’s always goin’ places.

Here are some tips—I have included some VERY quick sketches to illustrate some of the things that I am talking about. By the way, the sketches are ink and graphite—something that I am playing with limited success. Kind of using the graphite like a “dry wash”. I make no apologies.

1. The key to drawing a lake is reflection, reflection reflection—and highlights

2. When you add reflections and highlights to brooks and streams you give the water a crystal clear appearance.

3. Consider what is at the bottom of the stream.

4. And speaking of rocks—rocks that have had contact with water are worn down and smooth while rocks NOT exposed to water will have a rougher quality of texture.

5. All streams and lakes have dark murky areas that you should look for.

6. Water is three dimensional—seems obvious but water has highlight and areas of lowlight.

7. Water is transparent but when pushed against or force is applied, it will foam and lose part of its transparency.

8. Water is not blue. Water is the color of whatever surrounds it—or what it reflects.

9. Regarding waves: stage 1—the water rises up. Stage 2—the wave will begin to break and foam Stage 3—if you are looking at the wave from the front, the foamed up area will will split and widen to the left as well as the right.

10. When the foam from the broken up wave reached the shore—it will resemble a net of sorts.

11. Always add shadow to the foam to give it a 3-D quality

12. Wet reflects—stand in the rain on a smooth surface and look at your feet.

13. Rain will fall and hit the pavement splashing upward forming a sort of crown-this will break out in a series of rings called ripples or ringlets.

14. Rain striking an umbrella will strike and burst outward

15. As it settles, streams will form on the umbrella forming net-like patterns.

16. Raindrops are not “drop shaped”—they are spherical—I know because my daughter has recently become fixated on photographing rain.

17. “Underwater” water is also very reflective—look at swimming pools for example. If you look at the reflections on the sides of the pool walls—you will see the reflections are “net-like.” Sound familiar?

18. Water forms streams when following down over objects. They start together but break up into streams.

19. Water that violently strikes a that also contains water will foam or spray (I am referring to water falls).

20. Water refracts as well as reflects. If you take a pencil and stick it in a glass with water—the object will seem to “bend”. Take advantage of this effect. The effect is evident in nature as well.

20. Lastly, STILL waters may run deep but they are also mirrors. Highly reflective.

Demonstration:

The following is a demonstration of water pouring into a glass. By the way, this time I drew using a centerline. Still had some problems but much better then last weeks glass.

This was drawn on 140 lb Arches Watercolor using the smooth side of course. A 2b mechanical pencil was used to draw and shade. The deepest darks were done with a 9b pencil. Highlights were done with an electric and a click eraser both sharpened at the tip. A cotton swab and a cotton cloth was used for blending. The drops are treated as spheres with a highlight and a low light. Gravity will pull the drops downward. Drops are transparent so treat them as glass.
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:03 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Lets do that again--Here is the Demo!
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Wow, JayD, another wonderful class. I love your water glass and bottle. You made me thirsty!!! This is going to be lost of fun.

Thank you for your comment over at CP.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Troy doesn't live here anymore!

Hails from United States

You mean water ISN'T blue????? Well, hell....
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Troy doesn't live here anymore!

Hails from United States

Hmm, let's see... Water? Rocks? Water striking solids? Spray/foam? Okay, I'm done!
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm just one question..
to be able to do this class will i have to do the other classes..
i am kind of new to the whole idea of art
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Wonderful instruction Jay I enjoyed sketching water in the bear pic.
Troy that is really beautiful now how long ago did you render that?
Hiyas Pugdoglover, Welcome to 101 & would love to see your try at this class.
I will give you a tip, For me the first classes were so valuable for me because they #1, taught me the correct way to hold a pencil, #2 taught me to study each geo shape that is used in all renderings.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

What is a number #2 pencil ?
Will HB be fine?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

LOL, sorry about that, I was not implying the # of pencils I was only saying 2 things. Although, you do start in the first few classes with a #2 pencil which is your HB pencil. After a few classes, you are allowed to explore the Hards & softer pencils.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

psst look at my thread below this i like you. you know what you are talking about. i like that in a person!

ok that is good cause i have a really good pencil.. the brand is Staedtler. I like that brand. Good I reckon. And we have a really good electric sharpener at school. In my dream studio i so would have to have an electric sharpener.

ok .. ULTIMATE DREAM STUDIO MAKERS CLASS 101....
Get an electric shaperner.

rofl
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks Jay for posting the "Water Water Everywhere" Discussion Thread at the top of your list of references. If people look in it they'll find a lot of very good source photos for a topic like this. They keep popping up all the way through the thread.

This is the actual Project Thread - which provides yet more source material and this is the gallery showing all the work produced so far. For anybody wanting to have a go at doing their work in coloured pencils we'd be very happy if you want to post in this project or seek any extra help from the CP Forum along the way. I have to say that this was one was a project which we found a little challenging to start with but people pulled off some really really good results. It's well worth the effort of learning how to draw water. Lots and lots of patterns!

I have to say I am a huge fan of JayD's and these Drawing 101 classes - I'm forever mentioning them to people as being an excellent way to get a good grounding in basic drawing skills.

I'll be popping in again to admire your work later!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Katherine *is guessing that is your name because it is in your signature*
i'm just trying to think of what to draw..
ahh i got an idea.. i will draw my pug grace drinking from her water bowl.
This will be hard though.. do you guys know what a pug looks like? well they have like this black folds.. imagine it this way.. you have a black cloth with lots of folds.. how do you show where the different folds? how do i show the difference of the pug wrinkles? sorry this is kind of going a bit of topic.. put i like to draw pugs well actually at the moment they are just scribbles or cartoons of pugs cause i dont really know how to draw yet.. so i am going to try and include my pug in all of my class drawings from now on. why you ask? just because i love my pug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Pugsley--Yes, you can do the class now if you want--but I would strongly advise thata first you go through the first FIVE classes--they will answer your very basic questions. After that you can pick and choose according to your needs but go ahead and jump into this class.

Troy--glad you got it down so fast--now you can do KatherineT's thread and show us what you have learned OR you could do another piece from scratch.

Katherine--always good to see you around here--please feel free to encourage cross posting as well so people can be constantly exposed to you CPeople. I think that will be my new name for the Colored Pencil Crowd. The CPeoples.