WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast
Garson, Manitoba, CANADA

Hails from Canada
Re: Basic 102 - Class 11 - Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree
lori...that is exceptionally done..great movement..focus is on the water..but the head of the swan in some detail.....

Hi Tyree Thanks for the input...just wondering if you think I have too much focus on the water and not enough on the swan? Or is there something wrong with the swan's head, you think? Always looking for ways to improve C & C welcome

Here is my start on assignment #2.......more rocks....hrumph...guess I can't avoid them....must face the challenge Lori vs. The Rocks - The Main Event.....ding, ding and they're coming out of their corners gloves raised...

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States

Frieda - I Like it.
Lori - Great
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States

update

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I haven't finished my rocks yet, and here you all are rushing down the river already! I can't keep up. Too many horse commissions going on at the moment and all on a tight time schedule!

You are all so good, but will try to catch up.

Anyway, love these tutorials Diane, they are just fantastic, and I will give them my all when I get the chance. I have found 1 or 2 photos for my reference that I think will do the trick. I think this one below might be the choice

Dot

Name:  xmas 2005 190.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  22.3 KB
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

lori...in my opinion..i think the emphasis should be on the water and reflections as you have it...good bold rocks coming along in your next one...scrappie...it looks wonderful..i like the darker water behind the swan..and the same stoke movement in the front...dot..looks like a great pic to start..!! tyree
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

this is my assignment 1...I had the fused photo and the original in front of me..i laid down on smooth bristol the first layer with pitts 4b graphite..then Staedtler F, leaving swan area white...then i turned my drawing and the fused drawing upside down and started doing reflections..and lighter areas in water...back and forth with the soft and hard lead..then darkening in areas..tried to keep focus on the reflection of swan and water movement...i go back and forth also with drawing it upside down...i kept the area dark behind the swan and in the very front of swan for keeping it interesting..yours c and c's are always valued...tyree
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Red face Re: Basic 102 - Class 11 - Water

Wow, some really nice ones, so far... I'll load mine, but I put it down to look at it some more , and see what else I need to do to it. Any suggestions????? Like I said doing water intimidates me, so this is my first attempt. Pointers always welcome. Thanks. Take care...
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

My, oh my, things are moving quickly. I was away for the weekend at my great nephew's 2nd birthday party, enjoying seeing several relatives I haven't seen for a while. Also have been for various tests at a couple of hospitals, I have just started on assignment 2 rocks, and still have a cloud assignment to put the finishing touches to, but I am going to start on water assignment 1.

Lots of great water drawings posted whilst I have been away.
Lori - nice reflections and ripples, your swan looks right at home in the water. (also like your assignment 2 of the rocks. I've started on mine but it needs more work to get it as polished as yours)
Scrappie - Great work on your update. The rocks in the background are a nice touch
frieda - a feeling of lots of action with the water, looks very real.
tyree - a nice soft effect, I like the gentle ripples in the water.
tvanddeb - the post is a bit faint on my screen, but the movement of the water shows up well.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

Hey All.. Took a break from the pencil today!!! everyone once in awhile you have to clean tammy jo...I think you did a lovely job...very soft..and a good job showing the ripples!! ruth...hope your tests are going well, and glad you finally got over here..the waters great back to assignment 2 tomorrow! tyree
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Worked for about 45 minutes on this last night. Had originally thought of putting a grey base down as we did for the clouds, and revealing the lighter parts, but decided to go with pencil lines only. When I came to look at it this morning the white paper was too white so I started to put a layer of grey over it with an F pencil sandpapered down to a wedge shape. I've done the right side and think it is going to be much better. I hope the difference shows - it is most obvious on the opposite sides of the lower part of the swans neck. I have a lot of work to do yet, and may change my technique yet again, but I have to start somewhere
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Hails from United States

Dot - I LOVE this photo reference. If fact, I almost used it for this tutorial!! I thought it might be too much for a starter project, so decided against it. BUT I would LOVE to see you do this one. And it's on my "MUST DO" drawings as well.

Boat reflections are awesome to study water reflections.

I am just so impressed by everyone's work so far!

Ruth - I most definitely can see the difference in technique. Don't be afraid of using darker tones.

TvanDeb - You have captured the ripples in the water very well. Now start pushing those tones darker and you will see the difference in your drawings!

Tyree - thank you for explaining your techniques. It really helps others understand your process and to understand that there is more than one way to get excellent results! Everyone's interpretation and processes differ and that's okay! You really pushed those darks very well!

Scrappie - beautiful job! That swan is swimming in that water and there is no mistake of the movements. EXCELLENT job!

Lori - Assignment 2 already??? Gosh you folks are fast!!! Great start. Don't be afraid to push the darks on those rocks.

Diane
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Red face Re: Basic 102 - Class 11 - Water

Tyree, thanks for the kind words.
Diane: I redid the swan, added some more darks , I'm not sure it looks okay, looks like I kinda messed it up. I am working on the wave-assignment 2, if I have some time I will redo the swan.
Wow, everybody's looks great: Tyree: very nice alot of darks, scrappie wow, pretty good darks and reflections!!! Wish I coud imitate those.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

whoops, forgot to load my picture, sorry.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Diane, just wondering whether the picture you used for assignment 2 can be found in the image library? The screen on my laptop is not very helpful...
thank you,
frieda
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 04:05 PM

Hails from United States

Frieda - try going to my website

http://www.dianewrightfineart.com/drawing-water-1.htm

At the bottom of the page is a downloadable .pdf file. Hopefully it is more clear. (Or right click on the image on my tutorial and save it to your pc).

If not I can email the larger file to you directly.

Diane