WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:07 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Basic 101: Class 9 - Book Report/Assignment

Basic 101 Class 9

Book Report and Project Assignment

This is a two-week class

Learning to draw is certainly one thing but having reference materials on different techniques and mediums is another. As an artist, you should be building a reference library of some sort. The purpose of this class is to start you up with a good list of books that you may add to your library. Here is how this class will work:

1. Write a book Report and explain why that book is so important to you and how it has or has influenced your drawing.

2. Do a drawing of your choice IN ANY STYLE AND MEDIUM as an example of that book.

Book Report Guidelines:

1. It may be as long or as short as you like but must contain the following:

a. Title of Book
b. Author
c. ISBN number
d. Summary of the book
e How and why you think this book is important
f. For the purposes of this class we are only going to explore How-To Books

2. You should be prepared to discuss the book with outside class members.

3. ALL WC MEMBERS FROM ALL FORUMS ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE AND SUBMIT BOOK REPORTS AND PROJECTS FROM THE REPORTED BOOK.

4. No links if at all possible. I want your words—not someone else’s

5. IMPORTANT!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO OUT AND BUY NEW BOOKS UNLESS YOU WANT TO—YOU MAY USE A BOOK OR BOOKS THAT YOU ALREADY OWN.

Project Guidelines:

1. The Project may be of any style, medium including digital that you choose.

2. The Project may be of any length of time of your choosing

3. The Project may be as detailed or as loose as you choose

4. ONLY do a project based on your book

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WRITING BOOK REPORTS AND WOULD LIKE CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATION JUST PM ME—I WILL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO ASSIST AND MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY DRAWING!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 AM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Basic 101: Class 9

I like this one, Jay! I have just the book to do it on.

I got caught up working on the WDE tonight, so the tree is going to be worked on tomorrow for lesson 8. I have much more time now.

Deb

My Blog / Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi again, Jay.

I just finished converting the lesson into a pdf and have emailed it to you, Ann and Cathie.

Deb

My Blog / Website
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:24 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Great! I will look forward to seeing the tree! -jayd
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:39 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Morning JayD,
I have my book too. I was worried it had to be on graphite, but not so.
I have a picture I had done of my son earlier this year B4 I read the book and now I will redo it with what I have learned from the book. I hadn't redone it B4 cause I have misplaced the ref, now I will have to find it.

Hey Deb, Gad to see you back!

Last edited by Judi1957 : 12-27-2004 at 09:43 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Deb, thanks for the PDF!

Judi, when you re-do the picture of your son be sure to post the "before" version as well so we can get a look at how the book helped!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:44 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Will do Boss!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:47 AM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Mornin' everyone! Got the file, Deb - thanks, it's posted.

Waiting for my book . . . . . according to Amazon it was shipped the 24th.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:55 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Good Morning Everyone! I'm just checking in after commenting in Class 8. The pdf is posted in my signature as well

Jay, one quick question. Can it be on a video rather than a book???

Ann
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 11:17 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Hi Everyone ,

Cool, I have plenty of ideas for an art project but none of them include a book

Catch up with you later

Regards
Anne - marie
(lisa)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Am I on the ball, or what?!

Here's my book report Jay. Now, to work on the lesson 8 tree, then draw the project for this one.

Book Report for Lesson 9
by Deborah Leger

Title: Drawing Trees, Step by Step
Author: Stanley Maltzman
ISBN Number: 0-58180-015-0
Publisher: North Light Books
Hardcover, 127 pages

Overview

An in-depth book, dedicated to studying, understanding and drawing trees in their various environments. It is wonderfully illustrated with many examples. At the end, there are several examples of drawings with colour added.

Summary

In the first chapter, Maltzman discusses the basics of getting started - graphite and charcoal, paper, erasers, sharpening your pencils and/or sticks, fixatives and tortillions. He gives several examples of how different densities of pencils and charcoal work on different types of paper.

I love his statement of “there are no hard-and-fast rules, and that is what will make your artwork more interesting and unique!”

He goes on, still in the first chapter, to give some good info on working en plein air and some of the equipment one might need such as umbrellas, easels and seats. There are also two pages dedicated to holding your pencil properly, with examples of the same tree drawn in the underhand position and in the writing position.

In the second chapter, Maltzman discusses How Trees Grow. This section is completely illustrated, as is the entire book, with his own sketches and drawings, which makes it much more interesting than seeing photographs of trees. He states “as you study trees, you can’t help but marvel at what a wonderful feat of engineering you are looking at”, a statement that captivates me as much as trees do. (I must have been either a tree or a happy tree-dweller in a different life!)

Maltzman explains how trees grow like telescopes and goes on to explain how to create a balanced form using this theory. He discusses the importance of contour drawing if you happen to find yourself overcome when capturing the likeness of your tree. There is excellent information and drawings of trunks and roots, shapes of trees, one or multiple main trunks, boughs and branches. How foliage grows is touched on, as well as saplings, older trees and guest plants growing on trunks.

The third chapter is on Drawing Individual Trees. Maltzman believes that walking around, touching, smelling, sitting under your tree and closely studying it will greatly contribute to your work - in short, become a part of the tree. I love that.

He illustrates how to start drawing your tree and then moves to many different varieties of trees, each one complete with one or more drawings. Some of these varieties include apple, cherry - black and sweet, black walnut, oak, white oak, red oak, white willow, maple, spruce, white pine, birches, aspen and sycamore. Sketching, values, details and negative space are all explained.

The fourth chapter is all about Drawing Forests and Tree Groups. Pages are dedicated to drawing tree groups, drawing distant woods, drawing backlit woods and drawing woodlands and reflections. Winter woods, heavy woods, forest clearings, coming out of the woods and drawing trees in fields are all well discussed and very well illustrated.

This book is such a treat if only to look at all the beautiful drawings of trees!

The fifth chapter is all about Observing Nature’s Details. There are many fine examples of many kinds of tree bark and how to draw them. Knotholes, foliage, leaves - living and dead, lichen, fungus, spiderwebs and mushrooms, as well as forest debris are all well-covered and illustrated. Many of the illustrations are in the working process. Maltzman takes great care to show “how” to do the drawings. I find nothing more exasperating than a book filled with completed drawings and scant explanations, leaving the reader to puzzle over the how’s and why’s. You don’t have this problem with Stanley Maltzman’s books. He is a great teacher.

Chapter six is titled Enhancing Compositions with Trees. He discusses, and goes on to show, how adding a tree or a group of trees can add such excitement to your drawing. He touches on perspective in this chapter and gives some good information on composition. Centering, repetition and monotony are all well discussed. Limiting your scene to create drama is demonstrated, as well as negative/positive space. Maltzman shows how he draws a dramatic composition, step by step, which is very interesting to see. He also explains the importance of thumbnails to select a format and how there are such limitless possibilities for the same drawings.

In the final chapter, chapter seven, all that has been learned is put together, as well as adding colour. Before you get to all the eye candy, you get some tips on drawing from photographs. Then you are wonderfully treated to drawings with watercolour added, charcoal / pastel, charcoal / sanguine / pencils on coloured paper, charcoal / gouache. Many show some of the incomplete stages of that drawing / painting. While many in this chapter have colour added, I also love the pencil and/or charcoal drawings with no colour added.

I think this book is a very important addition to any how-to library because of it’s in-depth teachings and explanations. In any books I acquire, I always look for those in which the author has taken the time to answer the why’s and how’s. In this book, Stanley Maltzman takes that time and wonderfully explains and illustrates the subject at hand - trees. It’s a very thorough book. It’s also very important to me because I love trees so much and want to learn to really *really* draw trees.

All in all, this is one of my favourite books and one that I would never part with. Now, to just find the time to apply his teachings!

My Blog / Website

Last edited by Deb Leger : 12-27-2004 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot to add the pic!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Deb, you DO know that your tree for Lesson * does not count for the tree for Lesson 9? Great Book report and nicely formated--this is a book that I do not have--I will go check it out. thanks!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:32 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Gee Wiz Deb, Can't believe you have this done already! Great job!
Looking forward to the treeS!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Ohh wow Deb,

I have never had the desire to learn to sketch a tree lol, (sorry Jay even in class 8 ), but your words in your book report have made me want to buy the book. Thank you for a wonderful report ~KAV~
Can't wait to see your b4 book tree & your after book tree.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Good morning! everyone JayD, very nice, I think this is going to be fun.

Deb, nice to see you back and with a very interesting book report. Man, your speedy!!!