WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Dec. 2017: artist's choice!

Thank you Phyllis

Geoff .. I meant to say the Bistro was lovely .. this darn typo on my iPhone !

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:21 AM

Lovely works everyone, you all are rocking it! It has been a little crazy over here, but I'm itching to do some still life again.

Mauricio, I'm glad to see you in this thread. Your style is awesome!

Zooreka, awesome wip. Never knew of that B&W and yellow technique. I shall have to investigate on that!

Carol, your turquoise vase is my favorite! It's so beautiful! I also love how you set your still life up. Mine's more of a hack work with cardboard and a random tablecloth. lol It looks amazingly real!

Geoff, thank you for the awards again! Pumpkins will still be around for few months. I'm making a lot of pumpkin soups from them! So tasty! They don't have interesting shapes like the one I had before though. Just dark green or the typical orange pumpkin. I think it's time for me to move on to something else and practice from that anyways. The autumn mood I had is now gone. Also, your pieces especially the trees with the wide aspect ratio is breathtaking! It's perfect!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Carol, I love that turquoise vase -- fantastic job! Like DMArtist, I'm really glad you showed us your setup. It's inspiring! I have a shadowbox something like yours, and I have not really put it through its paces yet. Time to get to work on a serious still life! Also, thank you for the kind words about my bistro. Anyway, I'm delighted you're posting in this thread; I learn from every piece you do.

Annie, a failed root canal -- oh my, that sounds dreadful. I've had three, count 'em three, root canals, and I would have been upset if one had been a failure. Successful root canals are bad enough. I hope you feel better soon.

DMA, I actually don't care for pumpkin pie and such, but maybe I'd like pumpkin soup. Yes, autumn is now past, but winter is a great time to be creative!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Gloucester

8" x 8" oil on panel

I did this study yesterday morning. It was a cold, misty day and a bit of sun had just started to force its way through the clouds. I was trying to capture the colors of the early morning December ocean.

This is different for me for a few reasons - I never do plein air, and I never rely on my knife. I found it a bit exciting to try to capture colors before they disappear and not worry about detail. Also, is there anything more delicious than smearing a partially-mixed pile of paint? Revealing different variations of color every time you swipe is a bit addictive, I've realized.

I'm afraid that unlike some of the amazing abstract artists (AAAs?) on this site, my end result is more of a mess than anything. But it was a fun mess to make.
Attached Images

Last edited by Feral Ginger : 12-07-2017 at 12:44 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Smutty... I personally love the loose aproach in yr ocean scene... it is working for me .. lovely

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Gloucester

Thank you very much! It's my first thing sharing on here and I'll admit I was pretty nervous I appreciate your comments.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Smitty, welcome to the thread, and wow, what a striking painting! Your colors are vibrant, and I like the knife-work!

Don’t be shy about posting stuff! People are very nice here. No one has ever critiqued me unfairly. Even when I post a failure, I learn from comments here.

Sheesh, autocorrect insists on making unfortunate changes to your name. Fortunately, I caught it in time!

Once again, welcome!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Smitty... Lovely piece... Powerful!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Thought this free ebook with tips from Plein Air magazine might be of interest to others:
https://mediahub.clickfunnels.com/pl...s1#submit-form

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, Annie. I downloaded it last month, and your post prompted me to resume reading it. Lots of good tips!

It was too cold to paint today, but I had great fun setting up a still life. I’m excited about it. Here’s a photo of my setup.

Here’s a quick sketch. “Shiny and not-so-Shiny,” charcoal on paper, 9” x 12.”

And the start of my underpainting. I may need one more object on the right. “Shiny and not-so-shiny,” oil on linen, 14” x 18.”

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Here's an artist I happened upon by chance yesterday... Totally recommend a watch!!!

Here we have a Prodigy of the Royal Academy of Art (London), multiple Awards winner who went "Native" and lives and works from Thailand with ... wait for it... WINTON paints,,, uses vegetable oil as brush cleaner and by the looks of it, hardware store thinners... but also Distilled turps and Sansodor which he uses sparingly. I suspect this is out of budget and availability mainly,,,

Yeah, I already hear the groans on this forum from some,,,, but then I say... tune in....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCii...yfkocLlWxqvdNA
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

He does really nice work! Interesting that he seems to spend a lot of time on the torso of the model before refining the face. I tend to neglect the torso. That was edifying to watch. Thanks for the link!

How can you tell that he uses Winton paint? Did you see the tubes in one of the videos?

His website says he does portraits from life, but the videos I looked at all involved photographs. I’d like to see a video of him painting a sitter from life. In any case, very impressive!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
He does really nice work! Interesting that he seems to spend a lot of time on the torso of the model before refining the face. I tend to neglect the torso. That was edifying to watch. Thanks for the link!

How can you tell that he uses Winton paint? Did you see the tubes in one of the videos?

His website says he does portraits from life, but the videos I looked at all involved photographs. I’d like to see a video of him painting a sitter from life. In any case, very impressive!

Check out the Still Lifes.... That's what prompted me to post here... To be more precise Still life Exercise #1

I have little doubt that his Life model portraits are just as tight,,,, Think that was the category he won one of his awards for... but it would be nice....

Last edited by Zooreka : 12-09-2017 at 01:10 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
Thanks for the link, Annie. I downloaded it last month, and your post prompted me to resume reading it. Lots of good tips!

It was too cold to paint today, but I had great fun setting up a still life. I’m excited about it. Here’s a photo of my setup.

Here’s a quick sketch. “Shiny and not-so-Shiny,” charcoal on paper, 9” x 12.”

And the start of my underpainting. I may need one more object on the right. “Shiny and not-so-shiny,” oil on linen, 14” x 18.”

Hey, Geoff, I'm not certain I'm right about this, but most of your objects seem to line up diagonally and something just doesn't seem to jive about that. I may be way off, but thought I should throw this response out there before you get too much further. I also wonder whether the Old Bay container should either overlap some other object or be placed a little further away from the main group. Please ignore this if you don't agree... And I do love the collection of different objects - that should work out nicely.

This may be a little OT, but where did you get the coffee pot and where did it originate? It's got a very interesting look.

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Actually, as I look at this again, the addition of another object on the right may do the trick...

~Cornel West