WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Newly retired in East Tennessee

Hails from United States
Question Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... December 2017

Good morning Oil Raggers! I am a watercolor artist, but want to get back into my oil painting now that I'm retired. I have attached a photo that moves me to paint it, but am unsure what type of background would best suit the vibrant colors.
I'd appreciate any recommendations and will keep you posted. Also would like to join your artsy group.
Thanks!
Attached Images

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~ Pablo Picasso
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... December 2017

because a pic, or even irl...you pic up background tones in the subject...esp the whites...I'd stick with a bg of golds and yellows... I see them reflected in the petals...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats, and Welcome Barbie!!!

It is hard to give an opinion not knowing your painting style, but I would go with an abstract or very blurry background, tone down the yellows with raw umber.

Annie, I hope this isn't a finalized thing and ends up being scrapped like almost everything else ths Administration has proposed.

I hope to get to the penguins today. and the printer, and the laptop...
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, one other thing about your penguin is that it looks like there is bleu cheese "snow" or pavement beneath it - a nice touch.

Welcome Barbara! That is a lovely rose. Often, it's a good idea to isolate/control the lighting more than what shows in your photo. You could use a still life shadow box to control it. See this thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90072
The boxes can be made from an old cardboard box with one or two sides cut out (or folded down), so you're left with just a bottom and two or three sides that are upright. As far as color is concerned, you have a wide range of options; I think I'd choose a very muted green, as that's the complement of the red in the flower. But as others have suggested, a muted yellow ochre might work quite well too, as it would pick up the color in the center of the flower. If you make a shadow box, you can line it with either fabric or - what I tend to use - colored construction paper so that you're able to see the effect of the background color on the objects in the still life, rather than trying to make it up. BTW, making and setting up a box like this may sound like a bother, but it really makes painting still lifes so much easier that it's well worth the time. I hope to see you back here in the forum and in the thread!

Marcia, good luck on that ambitious to do list!

Me, I'm probably going to just sit around for yet another day, as I have a bad cold and no energy to do much of anything.

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Hi Annie...thanks! hope your month works out...

Nancy great news about the pain...

LOL...my interpretation of Marcias penguin recipe...

Attachment 852214

lolol...it is a prototype...ignore the cheddar stuck to the eye...

taste test next

Lol - That's adorable!!!!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Just catching up here too. Had to go to the Dentist y'day to get a Wisdom tooth pulled,,, Turns out there was an infection too so was in a hell of a lot of paint and disorientation yesterday... Worse still I need to have another 2 or 3 pulled. I see someone else having similar... Sympathies... I can tell first hand what it's like!!! Just throwing it out there but I suffer with Pretty severe Fibromyagia (not really a "man" disease so they say - yeah bite me!) and have done for 30 years or more. Throwing it out there as I find so many others afflicted with this curse in the Art Community... The pain of this tooth bad as it is- is bit a drop in the ocean by comparison.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Since a few here have issues with back pain, I thought I'd post this link I just ran across:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcZ7w_Dna_m/?explore=true

It probably won't work for everyone, and I don't know about the individual who posted it or her products, but the general info about the pose looked promising...

Zooreka, if fibromyalgia hurts more than dental pain, I shudder to think what you must be feeling. I hope you've found avenues for relief.

It's nearly 5PM, and I just realized I haven't eaten anything yet today. What is that saying? "Starve a cold and feed a fever?" Or is it the other way around - I've never known for sure!

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-07-2017 at 08:56 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooreka
Lol - That's adorable!!!!

Thank you
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:00 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, hope you ate...

Pain is lousy...I have a relatively high pain tolerance and fortunately have the luck of not needing to test it often...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

[quote=mtpalms]Nancy, that is great news about your exercises! My back starts to ache if I sit for too long, and someone told me that if I 'lift' my chest, as opposed to my shoulders, it might help, and it does! Also if my shoulder/collarbone(clavicle) aches, rotating my shoulders helps. It is probably a rotator cuff issue, but like you, if an exercise alleviates the pain, that is a big

That is very sensible advice, Marcia, and I'm glad you sent it. I added Annie's simple back stretch, too. I can't bend as well as the model can, but there is definitely a bit of relief accomplished. The problem when you grow older and, in my case, dumber than I used to be.

And especially good for painters like me, who spend their lives drifting forward into their paintings!!! From now on, I'm just going to use the word "back" to remind myself the relief is in going physically back.

I do remember once belonging to a Watercolor group, and I only at the last minute reminded me of a deadline. I think I only spent a couple of hours completing a painting, and of course it was dry when I took it in the next morning. But I didn't paint from life; instead I remembered a 6-year-old childhood friend and I sitting in a washtub, and found a photo my dad took of us. A girl at work was so enchanted with it that she bought it from me.

Hi, Barby, and welcome! You likely have tons of photographs to use, and one of the ways to do a watercolor is fast and loose. You never know who's gonna love your paintings until you just paint. One thing to be careful of is that if you're anything like me, you go from light to dark in watercolor, rather than the dark to light used in oils.

Last edited by NancyMP : 12-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 AM
A Local Legend

Annie, your link didn't work for me.

I made a few penguins. Lesson 1. Practice makes perfect. I should be proficient by the time I have made several dozens.
2. My googly eyes were too big. Penguins look fine without them. Right?
3. I think if I smear cream cheese over the bottom of the dish, it will look like snow, and they won't slide around or fall over when I transport them.
4. The scarf makes the penguin.
5. I stuffed the heads with cream cheese too before putting in the beaks. The olive absolutely needs as much cream cheese as possible.
6. I think I have found my new binge snack. Cleanup was a breeze, I was making FrankenGuins out of the scraps of olives, cream cheese and entrails of canned red peppers.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:51 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, I don't know if you have a senior center where you are, but some people at church do Tai Chi sessions a couple of times a week at the one near where they live. It's gentle and helps with balance too, as I understand it. It might be something else to consider.

Becca, I am pretty good at stoically handling pain - I've often gone into a meditative state while experiencing something painful at the doctor's office -BUT when it has to do with the mouth/jaw/head area, I do not tolerate it well at all. I finally did have some food that was soft, as I'm still leery of re-aggravating the problem tooth.

Marcia...Oh, more cute penguins! Nice job! Yes, those tiny red scarfs are a great part of the design. And I think the cream cheese snow for them to stand on is a great idea. Maybe you could add a few small snowballs. I'm tempted to try making some myself!

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-08-2017 at 04:01 AM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...cute!

Annie...get the tooth looked after...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
... Maybe you could add a few small snowballs. I'm tempted to try making some myself!
That's brilliant! I think I will! I could get pickled onions and make snowmen, too.

The plates I got are red metal enamel with a snowflake pattern and the penguins disappear into the pattern, which is why I came up with the idea of cream cheese 'snow', which also solves the problem of them falling over when I move them.

I didn't mention it, but softening the cheese is a big help. I put a 1/4 cup in the microwave for a minute set to defrost.

Don't let that tooth go too long, tooth infections can travel and cause serious helath issues. (I bet you know that already)
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Newly retired in East Tennessee

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... December 2017

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. Special thanks to AnnieA - I am going to build a lightbox - love the construction paper lining idea.

Everyone stay warm if you're in the snow zones. We just had flurries, but very cold windy dark wind. Guess that's what happens in December!

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~ Pablo Picasso