WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... December 2017

CFF seems to be going around, but mine has no tech link....just life in general...ha.

Good luck resolving all your issues all.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 04:07 AM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Okay, from now on, CFF is for Cranky, Frustrated, and Furious....:

It's like Pigeon Risk Time in December! Good luck Becca!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Well, not even the boss from hell could get things working in the printer dept. Remotely, anyway. I need to contact him again this morning and see if he wants to try again, or come to my place and take a look. Apparently he has a new computer himself, so he's working out some bugs with that. :/

I thought this was a sweet quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Hepburn
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Oh, Becca, what a disappointment about the trip! After all that! I hope you find something extra fun and relaxing to do as a replacement. And I hope that injury heals quickly.

Nancy
, what’s the issue that causes you to lose the composition on larger encaustic pieces? Did you ask the woman you mentioned and was she able to give you a solution? Best wishes on the camera issues. Equipment that doesn’t work can be very frustrating.

Marcia, welcome back from your trip! I love the latte kitty - is that real or photoshopped? Very cute either way. Did you ever get your photo of the moonlight? Best wishes on avoiding taking on more volunteer duties, as I know that’s more easily said than done.

zooreka, yes, lovely lighting there on your collection of supplies. I hope to see your painting of it!

Nancy, I hope you’re recovering from the back problems and getting sleep. You should probably check it out with your doctor first, but I find DayQuil to be a great remedy for colds and coughing.

Becca, nice moon shot!

Marcia, Penguins made out of olives and cream cheese! OMG, love them! They are adorable! Thanks for the recipe link too. Nice still life set up, please post the painting when it’s done. And congrats on the new(ish) Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Just from prior experience, nothing is as easy as it looks...

Amen to that. It’s a lesson I never seem to learn, but if anyone can pull it off, it’s Marcia, I’m sure.

zooreka, wow…you put a lot of demands on your Mac(s). I can see why you have to customize things.

I’m not a fan of Windows either, both in terms of the actual OS and, more importantly, the price! I went to Linux a while ago and never looked back, at least not to Windows. Linux has it’s own issues however, as it’s made for people who are willing to learn how to use the command line, and at this point in my life, I just want a WYSIWYG machine.

I have read that some Macbooks do have a PCI-Express slot. Apparently it's some Macbook Pros that do; I'm not sure about plain vanilla Macbooks, and it probably depends on the age of the laptop too. Theoretically at least, the slot might make upgrading the graphics card possible. I also think there are apps that let you cast to a TV; i don’t know if that might mean you could work around your old Mac’s problem with the video card somehow. I guess the stumbling block would be not having video to be able to see what you were doing with an install of the app. But does Apple TV just run from a USB stick and cast directly to the TV? If so, maybe you could get it to work - that is, if you have a smart TV. Have you tried just connecting the old Mac to your TV with a HDMI cable? I'm not sure whether the TVs graphics technology would take over and bypass the need for the Mac's internal graphics card. Thinking out loud here - maybe zooreka knows.

Nancy, yes, CFF! Perfectly describes my recent mood too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
It's like Pigeon Risk Time in December! Good luck Becca!

OMG, Marcia, it’s true! And it always happens this time of year! You should charge for your time if the machine you were provided just didn’t work! On second thought, I have no idea what your relationship with the boss-person is like so don’t listen to me!

I’ve been scarce (this time) because I have a tooth that already had a root canal that apparently has cracked and over the last week and a half or so was causing a lot of pain. Talk about CFF! I don’t do pain well. I may lose the tooth, since re-done root canals tend to fail. I’ve been thinking about the Christmas vacation when I was 12. I was soooo excited about it and had lots of plans, but on the Friday night that school let out, I developed a sore jaw, which turned out to be mumps. I had mumps for the entire vacation, but recovered just in time to go back to school. You see, Nancy, this is actual historical evidence for the existance of CFF! Anyway, this somehow feels the same - all my plans are put on hold until the dental issue can be resolved. Major CFF!!! But at least I'm not in major pain at the moment, which means I really should not complain.

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Oh, Becca,that’s more easily said than done.

zooreka, yes, lovely lighting there on your collection of supplies. I hope to see your painting of it!

- I am not painting this particular subject but I quickly whipped up a small Still life before the sun vanished and roughed out a Verdasco underpainting,,, I have posted current progress in the main forum (WiP) - hoping to get more done out tomorrow and maybe even finish it but I reckon it will take 2 glazes...

zooreka, wow…you put a lot of demands on your Mac(s). I can see why you have to customize things.

I’m not a fan of Windows either, both in terms of the actual OS and, more importantly, the price! I went to Linux a while ago and never looked back, at least not to Windows. Linux has it’s own issues however, as it’s made for people who are willing to learn how to use the command line, and at this point in my life, I just want a WYSIWYG machine.

I have read that some Macbooks do have a PCI-Express slot. Apparently it's some Macbook Pros that do; I'm not sure about plain vanilla Macbooks, and it probably depends on the age of the laptop too. Theoretically at least, the slot might make upgrading the graphics card possible. I also think there are apps that let you cast to a TV; i don’t know if that might mean you could work around your old Mac’s problem with the video card somehow. I guess the stumbling block would be not having video to be able to see what you were doing with an install of the app. But does Apple TV just run from a USB stick and cast directly to the TV? If so, maybe you could get it to work - that is, if you have a smart TV. Have you tried just connecting the old Mac to your TV with a HDMI cable? I'm not sure whether the TVs graphics technology would take over and bypass the need for the Mac's internal graphics card. Thinking out loud here - maybe zooreka knows.

yes those apps are a new thing but only work with Smart Tv's... my Samsung came a year or so before they I introduced them... I know that Older MBP's came with Nvidia 7500 chips (or you could buy this option as an upgrade) but since they changed to SSD's in 2012 or thereabouts they dropped it to concentrate on Retina (Which as I mentioned... I don't care for at all!)

My iMac died in 2011 and the MBP I had for a month last year and then sold it (late 2013 Model). However I was ripped off... paid for it in Counterfeit Bills! That said I did try with HDMI cables (3 or them)... and also a Custom dedicated Mac one for use with Projectors (I was teaching and needed it),,, NONE of them worked,,,

Mac OS is so totally cool... I work quire a bit in terminal here tweaking and tuning thins - rarely have any issues and can run it Vanilla...( Handful of Kexts I need for Graphics. Audio etc plus System ID kexts can be accessed from the EFI boot folder...) I tried Linux many times... Use, Lime, Blackhat and most recently Ubuntu. Longest any installation lasted was about a month! On one of those I had the weirdest experience imaginable.. when minimizing of maximizing a Window the screen melted surrealistically before my eyes... Like Dali's Timepieces!!! On another the keyboard decided to change language to Polish and on reboot I couldn't get back in!!! God I hate Linux! That said... I'd sooner have it any day than Windows.

What I like most about Mac though are its apps... I can literally trash any languages or localizations I don't want on there and once accustomed to how a Mac purrs and you learn a bunch of shortcuts and little secrets... and hidden features...there's no turning back! Never has a single Virus in 7 or 8 years... Nor a DLL problem or Malware,,, I s run avast on it in the background... don't know why as it's virtually redundant though will pick up email threats! Many Windows apps that have don't have Mac Native Versions I have successfully Wineskinned, Some Games too. I cannot live without Illustrator and Photoshop in Particular, or Corel Painter. Only ever been able to run PS 7 in Wine under linux and even then it was unstable and broken in many places. Limited functionality. Gimp just didn't cut the mustard with me nor their Vector app... Blender was decent enough for a freebie 3d app though.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:39 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I got lucky today - we had a substitute instructor for water aerobics, and she had us do some deltoid exercises, which really helped my back pain a lot, so I'm adding it to my daily exercise schedule. I also called and canceled an expensive appointment with a back doctor, too, since this worked so well!

It's amazing how much you can learn from others - she was an oriental lady who was having each of us lift a five pound weight while exercising.

Today, since it's finally getting cold here, I'm going to make a big pot of chili. Chili today; hot tamale...

Annie, I haven't had any spare time recently to talk to my friend about painting bigger encaustics.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Hi Annie...thanks! hope your month works out...

Nancy great news about the pain...

LOL...my interpretation of Marcias penguin recipe...

Name:  penguin resize.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  190.5 KB

lolol...it is a prototype...ignore the cheddar stuck to the eye...

taste test next
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

somehow my reply was scrambled up above your's Annie...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:22 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooreka
yes those apps are a new thing but only work with Smart Tv's... my Samsung came a year or so before they I introduced them... I know that Older MBP's came with Nvidia 7500 chips (or you could buy this option as an upgrade) but since they changed to SSD's in 2012 or thereabouts they dropped it to concentrate on Retina (Which as I mentioned... I don't care for at all!)

My iMac died in 2011 and the MBP I had for a month last year and then sold it (late 2013 Model). However I was ripped off... paid for it in Counterfeit Bills! That said I did try with HDMI cables (3 or them)... and also a Custom dedicated Mac one for use with Projectors (I was teaching and needed it),,, NONE of them worked,,,

Mac OS is so totally cool... I work quire a bit in terminal here tweaking and tuning thins - rarely have any issues and can run it Vanilla...( Handful of Kexts I need for Graphics. Audio etc plus System ID kexts can be accessed from the EFI boot folder...) I tried Linux many times... Use, Lime, Blackhat and most recently Ubuntu. Longest any installation lasted was about a month! On one of those I had the weirdest experience imaginable.. when minimizing of maximizing a Window the screen melted surrealistically before my eyes... Like Dali's Timepieces!!! On another the keyboard decided to change language to Polish and on reboot I couldn't get back in!!! God I hate Linux! That said... I'd sooner have it any day than Windows.

What I like most about Mac though are its apps... I can literally trash any languages or localizations I don't want on there and once accustomed to how a Mac purrs and you learn a bunch of shortcuts and little secrets... and hidden features...there's no turning back! Never has a single Virus in 7 or 8 years... Nor a DLL problem or Malware,,, I s run avast on it in the background... don't know why as it's virtually redundant though will pick up email threats! Many Windows apps that have don't have Mac Native Versions I have successfully Wineskinned, Some Games too. I cannot live without Illustrator and Photoshop in Particular, or Corel Painter. Only ever been able to run PS 7 in Wine under linux and even then it was unstable and broken in many places. Limited functionality. Gimp just didn't cut the mustard with me nor their Vector app... Blender was decent enough for a freebie 3d app though.

zooreka, Heh...I am no longer in touch, clearly. I hardly understood any of that. MBPs? (oh wait, Macbook Pro, right?) Kexts? I do agree that Wine in Linux was a big disappointment - I got it running for a couple of days but then it crashed and I could never get it going again.

My brain just is no longer accepting this kind of info, even though some of it used to fascinate me. There's only so much room I have left in there! The only kind of techie stuff I want to fill it with is painting stuff. However, one other option for casting some things to a non-smart TV is a Roku stick. If your tv has a HDMI slot, that and a Roku is all that's needed to turn a TV into a pseudo-smart TV. I can't absolutely guarantee how extensive the casting part may be though - maybe it's just photos, and I think it may be done over wireless.

Nancy, good to hear about the success of your pool adventure. She must be a great teacher! I think I already mentioned Miranda Esmonde White's Classical Stretch videos? I really do think you'd love the beginner one that I got recently.

Becca, very cute! Just pretend he's wearing a freeform orange monocle!

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-06-2017 at 11:32 PM.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 AM
A Local Legend

Nancy, that is great news about your exercises! My back starts to ache if I sit for too long, and someone told me that if I 'lift' my chest, as opposed to my shoulders, it might help, and it does! Also if my shoulder/collarbone(clavicle) aches, rotating my shoulders helps. It is probably a rotator cuff issue, but like you, if an exercise alleviates the pain, that is a big

Annie, sorry about your tooth pain, I hope you don't lose it. But then again, sometimes the pain is so bad, an extraction is a relief.

Becca. I bet your penguin was delicious! We are invited to some friends' Friday evening, so they will be my guinea pigs. She is allegic to bovine dairy, so I am going to make a few out of chèvre, too.

I didn't get a chance to even open my new laptop. I was going to give the printer drivers for the PC another shot, when I got a phone call... A couple of people from Sacramento were at the town hall, and saw my prints (the aliens series), called me up (town hall doesn't handle art sales), and wanted to buy a couple! I gave them a discount, but still cleared almost $400! Makes the new purchase a little easier to handle.

I am wondering though about the new tax law - I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that business expenses are no longer deductible unless you are a millionaire. One saving grace with this purchase is that it would have been a nice deduction, or depreciation. I am hoping this new rule doesn't go into effect until 2018.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Nancy, that is great news about your exercises! My back starts to ache if I sit for too long, and someone told me that if I 'lift' my chest, as opposed to my shoulders, it might help, and it does! Also if my shoulder/collarbone(clavicle) aches, rotating my shoulders helps. It is probably a rotator cuff issue, but like you, if an exercise alleviates the pain, that is a big

Annie, sorry about your tooth pain, I hope you don't lose it. But then again, sometimes the pain is so bad, an extraction is a relief.

Becca. I bet your penguin was delicious! We are invited to some friends' Friday evening, so they will be my guinea pigs. She is allegic to bovine dairy, so I am going to make a few out of chèvre, too.

I didn't get a chance to even open my new laptop. I was going to give the printer drivers for the PC another shot, when I got a phone call... A couple of people from Sacramento were at the town hall, and saw my prints (the aliens series), called me up (town hall doesn't handle art sales), and wanted to buy a couple! I gave them a discount, but still cleared almost $400! Makes the new purchase a little easier to handle.

I am wondering though about the new tax law - I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that business expenses are no longer deductible unless you are a millionaire. One saving grace with this purchase is that it would have been a nice deduction, or depreciation. I am hoping this new rule doesn't go into effect until 2018.

Marcia, thanks and yes, after a full week of waves of intense pain, an extraction doesn't sound so bad. I wish implants weren't so darn expensive, though.

Speaking of expenses, what's that about expenses no longer being deductible? Are you talking about Trump's tax bill? As I understand it, it's going to take a while to reconcile, and who knows what will be in it once they have come to a final version, if indeed they're able to agree upon one. Do some of the exclusions for deductions that are proposed apply not only to personal taxes but also to business taxes? I hadn't thought that was the case. Or are you talking about other changes just for CA? Do you have a link?

And, Marcia,
...a BIG congrats for your sale of the prints!!!
(I bet selling prints was worth having to delay playing with your new laptop.)

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-07-2017 at 01:32 AM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:53 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wonderful news, Marcia! I love sales that you can negotiate yourself. My gallery takes 20% of my sale price before I get The balance, but I had a couple of paintings sell in November and I really liked having some extra money for Christmas presents!

I have one client who loves my nude paintings, and whoever is the gallery sitter when he comes in remembers that I'll negotiate with him, so when he wants to buy, I authorize the arbitration by phone.

Becca, now I'm thinking maybe I won't attempt making the penguin recipe, but then again, maybe the taste of it nullifies the imperfection? Let us know....?

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
maybe the taste of it nullifies the imperfection? Let us know....?
What imperfection? It just looks like the little guys were out playing in the snow and got a dusting...and one has a orange monacle! Very whimsical and absolutely perfect! I love them!!! And really, substituting bleu cheese for the cream cheese...how much more perfect can you get? Brilliant! YUM! The only think I would miss is the pickled pepper scarves.

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 12-07-2017 at 02:15 AM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks all...and yep...forgot the pimento I was going to use for the scarf....but willl add it...

Marcia congrats on the sales...

Nancy...blue cheese stuffed olives are a fav of mine....

I also substituted colby-jack for the carrot..didn't want the crunchiness or sweetness..
Becca's Fine Art my blog