WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... December 2017

it will be very cool!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:35 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I like your holiday set-up, but I think I like the penguins even more. For the first party I'm cooking for this week, I had already gotten all the ingredients for my favorite Chili recipe, but I'm saving the penguin recipe for another party!

I'm having back trouble and trying to recover from a cold, but the coughing is part of what hurts my back, dang it! It's absolutely impossible to not cough.

I'm calling a place I went to years ago for my back; they just ran an ad in the paper that would give me two treatments for $56, which is much, much cheaper than their regular pricing. Having a background in advertising makes me very aware that this is a come-on for booking much longer treatment.

Becca, good moon shot!

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 04:41 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Nancy...good luck with the back treatment...the cold will pass...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 PM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Marcia, I like your holiday set-up, but I think I like the penguins even more....

The holiday set up really isn't, it is the inside of one of the candle burning chapels, although the candles in the photo are the good luck and blessing section, hence the crown and the saint. There is also a love section and a curse section.

I picked up the ingredients for the penguins, I think I better do a test batch sometime this week, just to make sure it is as easy as it looks.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Just from prior experience, nothing is as easy as it looks...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
A Local Legend

And my new laptop is arriving Wed. I bought refurbished though Apple, so I will have help migrating stuff over if I need it.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Well done with the new laptop...bought a refurb iMac..and was no issue at all with the set up...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2017, 11:55 PM
A Local Legend

That is reassuring.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Ladies... I congratulate you both on your choice of Digital Delight... When it comes to computing and Art MAC is your only choice... There is no operating System that even comes close! That said I am finding several issues still with High Sierra.... If you machine came with Sierra I'd hold off the update for another month or two,,, File copying can be really slow... Finder has issues... I've just been using Painter too and find that changing layer modes etc don't update.

Much as I love Mac I have had issues in the past... I had a 2007 iMac with an NVidia Graphics Chip (yeah - every time... I am not a fan of ATi at all!!!). However after 3 years of heavy use the chip crashed and Apple wanted $500 for the replacement part!!! Yeah, right... So I ended up back on a PC for 6 months... it almost killed me... but thankfully that HP I brought brand new locked up and died... So I went out and brought components to build a New PC to run Vista on,,, but at that time I had seen OS X on Sony Laptops and the like so I googled it,,, With some perseverance I managed to get OSX Snow Leopard installed on my Quad Core - and have been running a CustomMac ever since... I built a New Machine 2 years ago... and (the beauty of hackintosh) a higher Spec NVidia Graphics card than the top IMac Model offered... The Procesor too is more powerful. If Either fail I can replace them much cheaper than from Apple,, and the beauty of it is that I can put up to 35 Gb Ram in there. I'm currently running 16Gb and it's more than enough even for an intensive user like myself,,,

I have no issues either with Multiple Monitors... I had a BIG issue with a MacBook Pro I bought last Christmas and sold a month later,,, never got it working with either My Monitor or TV and with an official Apple Adapter,,, I also did not take to Retina and the Intel Graphics Chips... Real fiddly. Nor did I like these new cables and adapters... seems they change these now every year.... ridiculous!!!!

Here I have 2 monitors... I had a 3rd but it died about 6 months ago...

Hope you have Long Happy times with your machines and none of these issues if you choose to run multiple monitors etc,,,
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:58 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Zooreka, that is not reassuring! My second Mac was a G3 Power Mac, one of its outstanding features was being able to open the side door and swap out internal parts. The awful thing about the laptop I am replacing, is that Apple soldered the video card onto the motherboard, so while there is no way to actually see the screen or use an external monitor, the rest of the computer works just fine. I can hook it up to another machine and boot it up using target disk mode and grab files, but that's about it. I had the motherboard replaced in sept. 2016 during Apple's free program, but that fix only lasted a year and the program is over now. The second worst thing, is that I am going from a 17" to a 15.4" screen. I work when I am away from home, so that extra bit of real estate comes in handy.

I am impressed that you were able to build a Mac from off the shelf parts, I've heard it can be done, but never met anyone who has done it before.

Windows is kind of soul crushingto me too. I am not sure why, but I have to use it for some bookkeeping, and it just makes everything seem like work. Speaking of, I have to work on bookkeeping and not art for the foreseeable future, so if I seem a little cranky, that is why. However, it is going to go a long way towards paying for the Mac, so Yay! Silver lining!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Zooreka, that is not reassuring! My second Mac was a G3 Power Mac, one of its outstanding features was being able to open the side door and swap out internal parts. The awful thing about the laptop I am replacing, is that Apple soldered the video card onto the motherboard, so while there is no way to actually see the screen or use an external monitor, the rest of the computer works just fine. I can hook it up to another machine and boot it up using target disk mode and grab files, but that's about it. I had the motherboard replaced in sept. 2016 during Apple's free program, but that fix only lasted a year and the program is over now. The second worst thing, is that I am going from a 17" to a 15.4" screen. I work when I am away from home, so that extra bit of real estate comes in handy.

Alas, "Therein lies the Rub!" - my very point... The iMac and the Macbooks all use a hardwired Graphics Chip as opposed to a removable Graphics Card.

Even their Native Hard Discs are or were modified to allow temperature monitoring.. Don't get me wrong.. I loved my iMac.. Every second of it.. I did NOT but Apple care though. I was living in Venezuela at the time and flew to Miami on a Weekend Special to buy it after throwing my Dell Inspiron 8600 against the wall! I had to reformat that laptop at least twice monthly for more than 2 years!!! My iMac was love at first sight! I guess I'm a power user now!! =) =) =)

- I would definitely recommend you do buy Apple Care - 5 years worth if the machine is relatively new.. With me living in Venezuela under a ratbag like Hugo Chavez there was absoloutely no point!!!

as for those resolutions... I had no end of problems with retina... even if I turned it off and used custom sizes,,,

There really is NO substitute for an NVidia which makes be even happier now I am on CustomMac... Apple's love affair with Intel and Ati seriously bugs me... They're supposed to be Classy!!!

Here I can work happily in Full Hd on the Asus.. on The Samsung TV it's actually Half HD... but I can over-ride the navite resolution and push it to full HD with overscan... Likewise if I picked up a 4K Monitor I could as easily configue it,,, Think is I dont care much for super high res becaue I can barely see a thing anyway at native 1920 x 1080 lol

I just read about the 17" to 15.6" drop... Is this a slighly older Macbook Pro... 2012 or therabouts with an nVidia chip??? The one I bought last year was a 2103... and afaik didn't come any bigger that 13"... In the past few years they have gotten even smaller!!!

Buy a cable at least and try it... as mentioned I did and could not get the second monitor to work with the MBP at all! In fact make them verify it works if you buy one from an Apple Store,,,, at least you could hook up to your TV and have a bigger screen Space to work with... if not a second monitor from an Old PC. I think I needed a special cable as HDMI - HDMI was not an option,,,

LOL - love your excuse for being cranky... same excuse I have for being psychotic!!! Windose X-Blah!!! -- or the tenth instalment of utter uselesness... I so miss regedit and the dll libraries.. OCX.. and coutnless Virusa scans and updates rendering the machine utterly useless to me 90% of the time... Mac is nothing but productivity! I really only need to reboot my machine every second month if I opt doe the latest updates,,, and those are quick and painless!

Last edited by Zooreka : 12-05-2017 at 02:28 PM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I likely can beat all of you for crankiness. I had a Mac when I worked at the newspaper doing art - it was considered indispensable back then, but then I married Himself, who was a Windows technician for a Canadian company in Dallas.

So mostly I can't understand any of the verbiage in the last couple of posts because I'm feeling dumb, dumber, and dumbest, since I'm no longer in charge of what I use.

The cryptoquote today was a bit depressing, too.

"A perpetual optimist is a person who has nothing to worry about because he has nothing to worry with." -- Source Obscure

Marcia, I'm glad you're making the penguins before I do! Let me know if I should forget about it. They look so clean that I don't know if my clumsy hands are up to it.

I just shopped for the ingredients for my Chili, which is what I'm taking to the party at Rose State College on Friday morning.

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 PM
A Local Legend

I am beyond cranky right now. I just wasted an entire afternoon trying to get the work PC to see the wireless printer. I get to a point in the installation process where the installer sees the printer, imports information, then can't see it anymore, or tells me to press the wps button on the printer, then the printer tells me to hit the wps button on the AP so nothing happens, and there is no explanation or troubleshooting on the printer's website that addresses these problems. At 5 pm I finally left a voicemail on boss's phone telling him that my bf's Toshiba PC can print, my Macs can print, and even my Windows emulator on my 12 year old MacBook Pro (Parallels) can print, but not the HP he gave me. I am cranky, frustrated, and furious. I should bill him for the wasted day.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Lima, Peru

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I am beyond cranky right now. I just wasted an entire afternoon trying to get the work PC to see the wireless printer. I get to a point in the installation process where the installer sees the printer, imports information, then can't see it anymore, or tells me to press the wps button on the printer, then the printer tells me to hit the wps button on the AP so nothing happens, and there is no explanation or troubleshooting on the printer's website that addresses these problems. At 5 pm I finally left a voicemail on boss's phone telling him that my bf's Toshiba PC can print, my Macs can print, and even my Windows emulator on my 12 year old MacBook Pro (Parallels) can print, but not the HP he gave me. I am cranky, frustrated, and furious. I should bill him for the wasted day.

You said it all right there in 2 small letters... LETHAL Combination ... HP and Windows! That machine I bough that lasted 6 months--- a HP Pavillion!!! Not surprised in the slightest....
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 11:23 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Okay, from now on, CFF is for Cranky, Frustrated, and Furious. I just looked for something I had going and could NOT find it! And a sneaky part of me wonders if Himself has been messing with my computer again.

Very CFF here, too!