WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States
Pris

Daryl Hannah's character from the original BLADERUNNER. Acrylics on Gessoed board. This was done earlier this year and if I remember, it was about 18 x 24. It was a commission.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Pris

Good work.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Cool!

Dianna

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

Very nice. I was always fascinated when Darryl Hannah sprayed herself across the eyes to create that mask-like effect. I learned much later from my ex that beauty stylists use airbrushes all the time. Susie gets airbrushed with tanning stuff every spring and before we go on vacation. *shrug* Why I wouldn't want to be a woman, part XXXIV
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Good work.

Thank you, muchly!!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Cool!

THANKS!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Very nice. I was always fascinated when Darryl Hannah sprayed herself across the eyes to create that mask-like effect. I learned much later from my ex that beauty stylists use airbrushes all the time. Susie gets airbrushed with tanning stuff every spring and before we go on vacation. *shrug* Why I wouldn't want to be a woman, part XXXIV

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Nice going Woody
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boafamily
Nice going Woody

Thank you!!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I like the necklace, it's so glinty! She looks great.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
I like the necklace, it's so glinty! She looks great.

For some reason I have always found metal easy to render....and yet I prefer flesh. Oh well....
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWelch
For some reason I have always found metal easy to render....and yet I prefer flesh. Oh well....
Who doesn't?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Who doesn't?

lol....in high school a lot of the guys would draw pictures of cars, but I was the only guy drawing girls...nudes.....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

I was drawing castles and soldiers of a make-believe state. I graduated to girls in college. People kept looking over my shoulder in HS and I was afraid I would get in trouble.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
I was drawing castles and soldiers of a make-believe state. I graduated to girls in college. People kept looking over my shoulder in HS and I was afraid I would get in trouble.

I DID!!!!

I had just moved to Myrtle Beach South Carolina after living in New York City and growing up around illustrators and nude models (my mom was a pin up, but not nude) I had a very liberal upbringing and when we moved to Myrtle Beach I was surrounded by a very conservative, limited horizon point of view from many of the adults.

One day I was drawing a girl....nude...from my imagination in the back of Math class, and when the class was over, the teacher, Mr Norwood(who looked kinda like the apple trees in Oz except just a little bit more human) asked my to stay behind when the bell rang and said in a deep phlegmy voice...

"Let me see what y'all was drawing back there, Mr. Welch."

I PROUDLY showed him my drawing and surprisingly he went apoplectic and we broke the sound barrier as he gave me the bum's rush up to the principal, the world weary Mr. Neal who looked somewhat like Colonel Kink in HOAGAN'S HEROES.

Once my drawing was presented, both thought I was the devil. When Mr. Neal asked me why in the world I drew such a thing, I was shocked. Why wouldn't I???? I told him I drew dinosaurs too and had been doing this, with improvements, since I was five.

They didn't believe me and, thinking I was a pervert in the making, phoned my mother at her work (she was the secretary to the president of Inland Airlines)

And here's the kicker, folks. When the principal told her over the phone that I had drawn a nude, my mom, the ex pin up gal, said...."Is it good?"

Here's the upshot....I had to take the drawing home and my mom, not at all offended, critiqued it a bit, then told me that she was NOT going to sign and return this to Mr Neal as he requested, but she would write a letter explaining that she had seen the drawing, didn't find it offensive, and would reprimand me for drawing pictures in class....where I should be learning math.

She laughed her ass off but then told me that we weren't in New York City anymore, we were in South Carolina and the attitudes were a little different here.

The drawing went into her scrap book and her fellow workers at Inland Airlines got a kick out of the story ....AND THE DRAWING.

The aftermath....I became something of a hero in Junior high, a feeling that was increased by the fact that I did not have the drawing to show to my fellow students. I was pretty much a twelve year old Vargas and would draw nudes for my fellow students for 5 dollars a pop in study hall and the two hours I had at home before my mom arrived from work.

Since I was told never to draw in school I thought it best to hide this fact from my mom, and kept my ill gotten gains in the hollow legs of my Wolf Man Aurora model kit. I never glued the waist to the legs of the lycanthrope so it was easy to pop it in half, deposit money or take money out, and pop the two halves of the creature back together. My mother would never ruin anything I built and couldn't conceive of my monetary hiding place.

A few weeks after the Mr Norwood incident my mother came home with a stack of men's magazines (including several Playboys which were high end....and several Adam mags, which were low end. Low end is where the naked girls have the bra strap marks still on their shoulders and facial expressions as if to say...."Can I get paid now???"

"If you want to learn how to draw women in the nude," my mom said after plumping down the stack of girly mags onto my bedroom desk, "Learn to draw real women...not comic books!"

I had been copying Gil Elvgren, Frank Frazetta, and Alberto Vargas.

....and so it goes!

Last edited by WoodyWelch : 11-13-2017 at 08:09 PM.