WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 12:01 PM
A Local Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... November 2017

Thanks Annie, I will post a pic of the finished painting soon! I am not feeling so run down now that things have settled down to a dull roar. I am not a vitamin taker, but perhaps a limited run of one-a-days will give you a boost until you feel caught up?

Nancy, I hope the the separate feedings take care of the horking issues. Luckily, mine don't compete for food, although MIa will eat Skeez's if scatterbrain decides her life is suddenly threatened by a loud noise, and runs off mid meal. I do have to give Mia a small bite every morning in the studio because she gets a dose of prednisone every other day, and don't want Skeez any opportunity to ingest it.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, separating the cats does seem to be working, and today I realized that the two larger cats, Sunshine and Moondust, are not particularly scared of each other, so I took Twinkle, who is old, very thin, and nervous, into the bedroom for her meals. I have to leave her in there for at least a half-hour at this point because of her fears.

So far, so good ... I haven't seen any barfing! But I'm going to keep it up and see how it works.

It has been such a marvelous time this season here. I live close to an Air Force base and they had their parade on Friday. Then Saturday I had lunch with my classmates, several of whom were sent to Vietnam. That's why I saved this cryptoquote for them, and I'll share it with you, too.

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism." -Alexander Hamilton

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, glad you are painting

Nancy, glad the cat experiment is working

Annie, can relate to the madness....have been crazy busy with not such great stuff, but necessary stuff...whew..!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:01 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Nancy, I hope sequestering the kitties during mealtime does the trick!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hi everyone, I'm still behind, but things are still moving along. I got one painting finished (Mama's, linked here), and the final classroom figure painting study is coming along (linked here). I'd love your feedback!

I wish I could wake up. The synapses are sluggish today. Maybe I need a caffeine IV. Or maybe things need to calm down to a dull roar, like your situation did, Marcia.

Nancy, you seem to be fully perked up now - congrats! Love the Hamilton quote! Sounds like kitty dinner time is under control now. Good.

Becca, I hope you soon experience the mere dull roar of things too.

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-14-2017 at 02:50 PM.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Annie, I love "Mama's!" The sign looks like it's really neon, and the group standing outside by the pole look so natural that I expect them to move! But you're right on the nude; I think the surrounds for him are a little too busy, and the folding chair to the right doesn't help. I'm eager to see it when you have it more polished - you're doing some terrific work!

Cross your fingers for me; it will have been three days with no barf if my plan is really working.

PS: don't paint while your fingers are crossed.

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie...just to stir things up...I like both the paintings...leaning toward the nude as a fav just because it is looser...but Nancy is right, the bg is pretty busy, but if you keep it vague see no problem

Nancy, good news about your cat problem
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, such a glowing crit of Mama's - I'm honored! Thanks! I agree that the nude's surroundings are a little much. But that was part of the exercise. The instructor had us show five different levels of saturation in painting objects in the surrounding area, and actually, there were many, many more objects that I just left out of the painting. The idea was to arrange the entire painting using that hierarchy of saturation (intensity). It was actually an interesting exercise and made us think more about lighting and it also affected our treatment of the figure itself.

Becca, thanks! I'm glad you liked the figure study. It's funny how hard I've tried and tried to paint loosely, and then suddenly I put some dabs down on the face... and there I was painting loosely without trying.

~Cornel West

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 05:33 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

An official HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANCY!!!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

And many happy returns of the day!

Annie, I like both paintings, but the figure painting more. Thanks for linking to the other thread. I seldom have time to visit threads other than this one and woye.

I painted a little bit yesterday morning, but both vehicles needed oil changes, and it took nearly all day. Today is mostly free, I think. I hope.

Somehow I managed to turn the end of November into October, but in a good way. BFF is coming for thanksgiving, bf is going back east to be with his family, and on the following Sunday, I am going on a road trip with a friend to Tuolumne, which is near Sonora, CA., about an 8 hr drive from here. I really shouldn't, but I think the only way to get a break is to take a short vacation. I am taking the laptop to work on candle labels, but other than that, just taking the camera.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:40 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks to all of you for the happy birthday wishes! It was very nice; my water aerobics friends took me out for dinner, and we had a grand time.

Marcia, be sure to save that cake for me - you can send it by stork if you can get one to deliver it to me...

Annie, I'm very glad my teachers didn't make me put in stuff there's no reason for. I was such a rebellious student! They're both excellent work on your part!

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, many thanks for your feedback today, here and elsewhere! That sounds like a lovely vacation - you sure deserve it!

Nancy, thanks very much! I'm so glad I'm technically not too late to wish you a super...
Happy Birthday!!!
It sounds like you had a fabulous time.

Actually, the figure painting was a learning exercise, so there really was a reason for the pumpkins. It may not show in the photo, but by correctly locating the 5 different color intensities (or saturations) of the pumpkins in different areas of the painting, it gave far more of a sense of depth within the space. I do wish I had used a canvas board for my studies instead of the stretched canvases I chose, because they really are just studies and not finished paintings. So now the class is over and I didn't really finish the figure painting, although I got pretty far along. I'm somewhat disappointed because there's no way to finish it once the model has gone. But I really learned a lot y doing it and in the class, so that's what counts.

~Cornel West

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:24 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Life has been far too intense....decided to have a little fun....acrylic again...60x30 inches...

Name:  fullsizeoutput_19e9resize.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  150.5 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

The sunrise here looked a lot like that this morning Becca, only with hummingbirds instead the flyer girl.

My right wrist started hurting a bit yesterday, so I am typing with my left and cooling the right, so I don't aggravate it.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia...forgot to mention calling this "painted sky"

hope the wrist improves in short order....what did you do to it? or carpel tunnel?
Becca's Fine Art my blog