WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... November 2017

Becca, there are several progress images in WOYE. Which brings me to a question. What do you all do if you have to submit images to a potential exhibit, but can't get an accurate photo? Do any of you have this problem? Do you just tell the person who is on the receiving end that the photo is not entirely accurate, or?

Nancy, funny song...

mosc, oh, I see this apartment must be for your studies. How exciting! Best wishes on finding what you want, and for finding alpaca goods too. Vicunas (the n has a tilde, but my keyboard doesn't) are relatives of alpacas, but their coat is even softer. They used to be considered endangered so maybe you won't find vicuna clothing.

I'm glad your foot won't need surgery, mosc. I've had foot problems too. A terrific brand of shoe/boot that is in the medium price range is Clark's. They're sooo comfortable, and they don't have the appearance of "sensible shoes," if you know what I mean. I don't know if you can get them in Europe though. I still run for the bus, although I know I shouldn't.

I stopped listening to music at home for the longest time but I've begun again. It may have something to do with the ease of streaming it. Today was a Django Reinhardt day.

Marcia, congrats for being so close to caught up. You are always such a whirlwind of energy and accomplishment!

Becca, I'm with you. I think the time change is cruel and unusual, for what crime I don't know. I have enough sleep problems without having to recalibrate twice a year, although I have to say it was great having an extra hour today to get things done.

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca, at least when spring comes and we can spring back to more light, it'll be a lot better for our souls. And soles?!

I really do hate shoes; if I could stay barefoot or in sandals or thongs all year, I would. I see Himself wear shoes and socks all day long, and something in me keeps asking "how can he stand that?" Except for a few bunions, I'm lucky I've never had a foot problem. You and Mosc must hurt a lot having to wear shoes, and Mosc, I hope your foot gets better soon.

One of the things I like about my gallery is that now I don't have to work there anymore, which means my feet gloat with all their freedom. I've been seeing some really beautiful golden trees recently, and I need to paint them before they loose all those orangey leaves

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie...if I can't get a good pic I present something else...I have one painting I did 2 years ago and just did finally get a decent pic to post on my site...one way to sorta get around the glare is to take a pic outside in the shade..

and Nancy, spring is a long way off, I think....but have taken to turning on my ott lights and it is a huge help...downside is I have to pull my blinds when I do that...think shortly I"ll open the blinds again and turn out the lights...
as for shoes....I wear my sandals all year in my apt...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 AM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
... What do you all do if you have to submit images to a potential exhibit, but can't get an accurate photo? Do any of you have this problem? Do you just tell the person who is on the receiving end that the photo is not entirely accurate, or?
If the exhibit is important enough, you may have to find someone who can take a picture for you. This link has good advice for taking pictures of your art with any sort of camera. I think the best one is taking a lot of pictures at different settings.
https://www.lightspacetime.art/tips-...the-right-way/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
..Yesterday was Vivaldi; today was a Django Reinhardt day.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 03:45 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Shop for the photographer...when my SLR went bad was going to hire someone to take a couple pics....good photographer but they knew nothing about photoing oils...were going to use their flash...and wanted $200 in advance ...didn't do it...

here is the painting, I have shown...but finally have a halfway respectable pic...the fringe of colour on the lefthand side is just some sort of interference of reflection from the wall..

Name:  fullsizeoutput_19cfresize.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  135.6 KB

I took this with my iPhone, it allowed me to get the shot with short range from the painting...then I did have to do a little editing to get it more accurate..large part of the challenge is the size and dark colour...it's 5x3 foot
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Becca, what a lovely, large painting. Dark ones are the most dificult to photograph, they seem to pick up even the slightest bit of light.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia....

a semi-quiet Monday....things happened .. but quietly...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 12:52 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Good news! I discovered that the lights of my AeroGarden were perfect - well, not perfect but much, much better, enough to be acceptable - for photographing my painting! I got a much better photo, but won't post it as it doesn't show any progress from the previous image. But I'm very, very relieved to know I'll be able to submit images that at least come close to the originals.

Becca, I'm so glad you mentioned your lighting. I have a "Happy Light" and I really should start using it now that it's dark at 5PM. I'd prefer sandals - or bare feet - all year long, but my apartment is so cold that I have to wear wool socks and fluffy slippers in the winter. I can see why your painting was difficult to get a good photo of. The lighting is so dramatic and the dark background, as Marcia mentions, makes it harder. It's amazing what iPhone cameras can do these days! I hope the quiet things that happened were good ones.

Marcia, thanks for the article link - it was very good. I actually did try most of what was mentioned in the article. I didn't know, however, that shutter speed could affect color.That's a great thing to know and I'll have to play with it in the future.

I painted most of the weekend, and this morning too. But this afternoon, although I had things to do, I hit the wall and took a 3 hour nap. It felt luxurious!

~Cornel West

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Annie, congrats on the painting streak! Glad the link was helpful, and very cool that the aero garden lights work for taking good pictures too. You have options!

I was going to crow about living in the sunny desert, but this morning is completely overcast and the forecast is for clouds all week. (but no rain, which part of me is sorry for, but part of me is glad because it would be inconvenient this week). Gray days remind me of when I lived in the Netherlands. Funny how things like that can take you back to how you felt at certain times and places.

I need to finish taking down my stuff at Scott's this week and this morning is more convenient than later in the week. Well, getting it done and out of the way so I can get back to painting (aka Life), is more like it. Still swimming to the goal of settling back in with my paints and canvases, but I am almost there!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie...glad you worked out the lighting...and yes....time for the SAD lamps...

quiet isn't necessarily tame...more wtf moments than necessary...

guess I'm down to only 5 weeks before my vacationy vacation and have lots to squeeze in...

Marcia...it is funny the things that can trigger memories...they are all over...

my momentary distraction this morning...

Name:  fullsizeoutput_19d1resize.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9646resize.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  86.2 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 12:44 PM
A Local Legend

OMG that is gorgeous!!!!!!!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, thanks....I know...a very welcome distraction...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia and Becca, thanks.

Marcia, so you had overcast weather...did I mention that we had snow this last week? I hadn't ever heard that you lived in the Netherlands. How interesting - why were you there? You're almost back to painting - yay!

Becca, Wow...just wow! What a sunrise. I had noticed some beautiful skies early here, but nothing like what you had.

I'm almost finished with my Mama's Mexican Restaurant painting. Whew...it took way, way longer than anticipated even though it's not large (11x14) In my figure painting class I've suddenly experienced painting large (well, not that large - my painting is 20x24 (or 28?) and I love it!

~Cornel West

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Annie.....glad you are enjoying stepping up a size in canvases.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Annie, painting at the size you mentioned is a very comfortable one, for me at least. I am going to set up my studio today, finally!

The cat got me up at 5:45, but I don't mind. I just got to enjoy the sun coming up. Looking forward to painting my new view, soon!