WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
...I have protected Portland from severe winter by ordering a nice assortment of winter gear...

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public...”
~Cornel West

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 PM
A Local Legend

Good luck with your studio tour Dave! I hope you have lots of sales and visitors. Nice for you to have both girls in the same play, what a wonderful memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
...you might also consider a pot hanger on the wall. That’s what I have and it’s an incredible space saver.
Great idea, I do have wall space, and a shelf would be handy too. If you could post a pic of yours or a link to where you bought it, that would be swell.

'Beaver Moon', that's a new one to me. I guess all full moons have a name, didn't know that. Sounds like you had a frustrating day Becca. Hope tomorrow goes better.

The tenants moved in at 3:30 pm. They seemed very happy with the set up, and the house hasn't been that clean in years!

I still have a lot of catching up to do, but now it isn't so crucial that it get done right this second. I can pace myself.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, I think mine is a Calphalon that I got as a close out at Bed Bath & Beyond at an incredible discount + a coupon. It's just a metal bar in sort of a shallow U shape that sticks our from the wall by about 4 inches and attaches to the wall on the ends. There are metal hooks that slide along the bar. You can purchase extra hooks if you need them. But there are many, many other designs and materials. BB&B seems to be a great source and if you sign up for their email you get 20% off coupons every so often in the mail or by email. Since they're prices are reasonable to start with, you can get some good bargains. I'd suggest starting to look for what you want there. There are also round or other shaped hangers that hang from the ceiling, and half circle ones that mount on the wall. Many choices! I don't have easy access to a camera right now or I'd post a photo of mine.

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-04-2017 at 01:27 AM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:48 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I found out that one of my paintings and a gift card sold recently, so maybe that means it's beginning to look like I'll stay with the gallery. (I had been considering leaving, but that perked me up!)

Thanks for all the nice birthday wishes!

Becca, I'm glad you helped Portland out so nicely by buying all the winter wear - we're getting chilly weather here, so I'll just send some of it up there so you can wear it all!

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:50 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia...you'r over a major hurdle...congrats...

Nancy...lol...I'll skip the midwest cold...will probably find an excuse to wear it all anyway...
Congrats on the sales...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 12:58 PM
A Local Legend

Happy Caturday!!!

Definitely me this morning.

Annie, thanks for the description, I looked up a lot of racks online and the one I like the best, which also matches to kitchen:

Just ordered it! Fred is coming to visit on the 10th, hope it meets with his approval

Nancy, congrats on the sale! Even though we don't paint for the money, a sale is a great motivator!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

Huge thanks for the birthday wishes!

Marcia, 17 cups only today - for me every day and then my paint brush might move.
That is a good looking rack/shelf!
Glad to hear you found tenants. I'm looking myself for an apartment but am doubting if shared or alone and turning to the alone option. Will move temporary to a very cold place to study.

Nancy, congratulations for the sales. You should continue with the gallery! I'm glad you have decided so.

Becca, good winter wear is important. I might have to do the same because I'll be going soon to a place where I need really warm clothes - warm or not will freeze anyway. Know it by experience.

Annie, took some photos of cake but like more the ones from my hubby's camera but I can't open/get the card out of that machine It's quite a complicated camera.

Nest week in Repin class there will be a figure painting, first from photo then from life. Teacher is so good and people terrific. Glad I signed for the classes this fall.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:51 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, that's great news about the sale and about the gallery. Life seems to be getting much better for you these days and I'm glad to see it. Congrats!

Marcia, Oh, that's really a nice pot rack. I would so much like to have one with a shelf on top. Great choice. I love the cartoon - that's me every morning.

Mosc, will the apartment be a studio for you to paint in or do you plan to live there? Where I am, there are buildings that offer just small studio/office spaces for a reasonable rent. Maybe you should search for something similar there; if you could find one that would be ideal and here they come with heating. Any clothing made of alpaca or vicuna will keep you quite nicely warm, especially socks, but I don't know if they're available where you are. Instead of removing the card, sometimes you can just hook up a usb cable between a camera and your computer to transfer photos - the camera shows up on the desktop like a new drive which you can click on to open and then explore the contents. It shouldn't be hard to do, but you'd have to know where the usb port on the camera was located, if there is one. But it's not always easy: my old Nikon cameras unfortunately used proprietary usb connections so this would work only with a special Nikon usb cable. That sounds like a terrific class - looking forward to seeing your paintings.

I have a painting in the works, so I'm going to be scarce again for a while...

~Cornel West

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-04-2017 at 02:58 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 03:03 PM
A Local Legend

Mosc, you will never be alone if Muffin is with you! Unless your roomie is very compatible, living alone is best imo, especially if it is to be both a living and working space.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mosc...if you were closer I'd share the winter accessories...lol....plenty to go around...it was mostly inspired by last winter growing so very tired of wearing a black rain coat all winter...it was a long dreadful depressing winter not helped by that same coat everyday...so now, I can add variety....

Marcia i like the rack too...

and agree about the roommate....none is best...

Annie look forward to the painting.....
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I don't know why, but I suddenly remembered a song that came out in the great depression, and realized, yet again, that the only way you can stay depressed is to not sing funny songs like this:

"Hey, Okie, if you see Arkie, tell him Tex has got a job for him out in California: Skiin' down beaches, pickin' icicles outta palm trees."

My mother thought singing it was great medicine for people who're depressed for little reason.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 02:27 AM
Lord of the Arts

Nancy, I think singing and esp. music! Listening music does magic. I have music on all the time.

Becca, thanks for the offer. We are a bit too far away. I also need to find new shoes because my feet need softer shoes according to my own doctor. I told you I had trouble with right foot, some doctors scared me off with their comments, but after all it's just a little swallowed and can be fixed with ice cubes twice a day and soft shoes. Ice is working like magic for this problem. What a relief that operations are not needed! When you do lots of sports and running you might have this problem so no more running for me lol. And yes, I think renting alone is the best besides husband wants to come to visit in Easter time so it's much better to have a place of your own. Will post photos here or in fb when I get where I'm heading.

Marcia, Muffin stays home not coming with me so I'm wondering if it's too hard on her. Bengals are quite attached. I would take her along with me but I will be out of the flat all day till the late night so she would need a cat sitter. Instead at home she will have company. For this reason she's staying. But this temporary separation. When we took Muffin to live with us this was already a plan and we thought it might work. Anyway she will be very well taken care of here at home.

Annie, it's for living. Will be doing art elsewhere. Of course some small painting can be done from the apartment like if there's a view to paint.
I will find eventually some place and I don't need to pick the cheapest one so that's good I can look for a warm one since it's middle of the winter and even a apt. with a good views. If the view is good I post photos.
I think there can be found clothes made of alpaca, one camping site here has an alpaca as pet walking around the camping area so there must be. Never heard of vicuna, will google it later. Thanks for all the helpful information. Also never thought I could attach a cable to camera but clever idea. Have fun painting! I like your night scene WOYE.

I must post this long post now before I loose it all to the bit heaven.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 03:03 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

I stream music almost all the time too...on rare occasions not, but that is seldom...

glad your foot will be ok Mosc...I always had issues whenever i tried to run so gave that up years ago...need to make myself go out and walk more even though the seasons have changed....it's usually nicer out than it looks...and I need to get the fresh air and just move....I prefer to swim, but hesitate being in the cold air with wet hair...

sounds as if plans are coming together for the apt...you will have a great time...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Mosc, sounds like quite an adventure you are planning, is it related to your schoolwork? How far north are you going?

If you need to access the images on your husband's phone, you could do a search online for the make and model, and probably find a user's manual that you can read online or download. If you can find the cable port, that is often the easiest way to access images.

I have plantar fascia, basically a pulled ligament in my foot near my heel. I suffered with it for a long time until I found out what it was, and that wearing certain shoes helps a lot. Right now I have one pair of sandals that let me get around pain free. Now that it is getting colder, I need to find a pair of shoes that do so too.

I am meeting my real estate client at 11 ayem, then I need to go to the big city (Palm Springs) to get some things at Trader Joes. Tomorrow I need to figure oit how to catch up on bookkeeping I have fallen way behind on, and finally start painting again! I think splitting my day in half will take discipline, but is the best way. I have paintings that need finished for December, and it is already Nov 6! Fingers crossed that I can wind up the catching up busy-ness in a few weeks and relax a bit before Xmas. Maybe even take a couple days off and go somewhere!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...good luck with the bookkeeping/painting schedule....I can not paint on schedule...but realize some can...if I do it sucks...

trying to adapt to the time change situation....it is brutal every year...have a late evening thing on Tuesday and trying to adapt my hours is now 2xs as difficult...

edit: ok..I have painted on a schedule in a sense...for my NYC show...had most of the references selected...and painted almost at least 1/2 the exhibit in 2 weeks...too rusty now for that and no place to go with the painted canvases right off the easel for the next here...but is doable, if you can be focused.
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 11-05-2017 at 10:18 PM.