WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia
the sewing project- showing stages

When my daughter was home for Christmas, I asked her to sit for me. She was working on a few design projects for her flat, and sat down to sew some flags. The light coming in over her shoulder was something I wanted to capture.
I had toned the canvas with a bright yellow-green to give it a sense of light. I set up the easel and blocked it in while she sewed.
oil on canvas 40cm x 50cm
This is after about 40 minutes.

After a break- I got her to freeze while I confirmed the hands position.
This is where I was after about a further 40 minutes

It stayed like this for a few weeks while I worked on other paintings.
Then I used photos to work on it some more.
I got to a part when the head and face were not working- so I think I scraped it off twice. The values are very close together on the face, lit by reflected light bouncing off the table.
The face colours are very cool and the transitions so subtle- that it defeated me for a while. I put it aside again.
Then, I was determined to get it finished. As I worked to get my colours mixed and the brushstrokes blended- gradually it came together.

I will work to get the background more complete, but I am feeling much better about the painting.

thanks for looking!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: the sewing project- showing stages

This is beautiful. There is a real sense of movement to her hands and tension in her shoulders.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Dana Design

Bethany, wow, wow, wow. Very well done. Looking forward to your progress on the bg. It's a beautiful study and the hands are exceptional!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Yes yes yes Bethany--- The hands are perfect, Im so glad you didnt give up on this. And I remember when you painted your daughter in the water scenes-- this looks exactly like her.

I want to get better at scraping off and going forward with a peice myself.

I could learn a lot from you dear lady.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

What is this in inches-- Im so terrible at figuring cm to inches.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Carol my husband says there are 2.54 cm to an inch!! Good luck with the math if you are math challenged like me. So then I asked what 40 cm x 50cm was and he said 16 3/4 x 19 5/8 so I guess 16x20! I helps on rare occasions to be married to an engineer!

Sorry Bethany also wanted to say that this is a beautiful painting of your daughter. You have captured the movement of her hands. It is like the every day poses that Mary Cassatt did of her family members with the same feeling of restful industry. Really lovely.

C & c's always welcome
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana, US

Hails from United States

Jen is right, this is very Mary Cassatt-like. It's a very nice painting, Bethany. It makes me feel good.

Kate
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolkay
What is this in inches-- Im so terrible at figuring cm to inches.

Google has a built in converter. Just type in '50 cm in inches' (or vice versa) in the google search bar and it will tell you. It works for all sorts of things like celcius to farenheit and kg to pounds etc.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Zoe- thanks so much for those kind words- I appreciate them!

Dana- you are so kind to say so! She does have beautiful hands and I wanted to include them. High praise from an artist of your standing.

Carol- this painting took some real perseverance! Some come easier than others, as you know- glad you see a likeness.... and I doubt very much that I have much to teach you- your paintings certainly speak for your skills.
Sorry about the measurements- 16 x 20inches.
I have such a maths-deficit brain that I keep a tape measure by the computer so I can put the size of works- I have centimetres and inches marked on it which helps!

Jen- thank you @ Mary Cassatt such praise will turn my head! (I would have loved to associate with the likes of Degas! )
I do love to paint people who are absorbed in a task, challenging to do, but more interesting to me than just a portrait.

Kate you do say the kindest things- thank you! If this makes you feel good- then my aim is achieved!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM
WC! Guide
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

It is a great moment to paint! The close hand is especially well done- hands are very demanding. The subtle light and modeling on the facial features is great too.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
All Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Beautiful! I've been toying with the idea of trying to paint my mother quilting. You've inspired me! Beautiful hands!

Carol
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Ken, thanks for those kind words! I have done a lot of studies to get my hand-painting up to scratch- they are still challenging!

Carol, thanks for saying so! Can't wait to see your painting of your mother!

BTW- I think it is so interesting that the so called "granny crafts" are back in demand with my daughter's age-group. I was taught to knit and sew and make my own clothes by my mother- then it went really out of fashion. It is great to see her making by hand and valuing that skill in this digital age!