Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Ouside the Lines Chat Thread ~ June 2019

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    frida

My apologies… I didn’t even realize there wasn’t a June thread started!!! :o
        We are into June’s second half, and no enthusiasm is to be seen to join us “Outside the Lines”…

So, I’ll share with you something connected with CP. The drawing I am working on is a composite. I have a computer folder with 129 files of a flower I like very much, in all positions and details. But I wanted to have some leaves as well. I resorted to two separate drawings, with a branch of leaves to be behind. It is being so far the MOST difficult composition I have ever attempted, but I feel up to the challenge at every step and quite gratified about the result. Tracing paper is my ally!

I am working on it little by little. The cataracts are only on the left eye, and surgery is not entering the picture yet due to other complications. And one happy event in June: my 80… some birthday! :cool:

One day at a time is fine…!!! :thumbsup:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

frida

Anyone wishing to share something happening in your life? This is the place for it… :grouphug:

Probably Elaine is super busy, or away on holidays? :wave:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

ocmd123

THANK YOU, RAQUEL!!!! My deepest apologies. Yes to both of your guesses above! Life was super busy in general, I started a part time job, and now I’m away on vacation! (And we just bought a vacation home, sooooo, distractions to be continued!)
                Your flowers sound like a great ongoing project to work on! I was painting last week, and I am still really enjoying my illustrated journal. I finished the 5×7 size, and have switched to a much smaller format. In this one I’m really just doing a snapshot from the day, instead of multiple drawings. I’m finding time to be in short supply (clearly!), and I want to focus more on bringing one drawing to more of a finished stage, rather than several hurried ones.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                Instagram

Save

Robin

Hello, old friends.

I’m super excited that this year’s weather has brought unusual things to my backyard garden. I have a plot in the very back that I didn’t get to for planting and weeds pretty much took over BUT I’ve got a bunch of volunteer sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes, and some bee balm!

I also made a nice little nook in the corner next to the house for my table and chairs and we’ve been enjoying coffee time watching the birds and painting and drawing. I had it more in the middle of the yard, I’m using it a lot more in this little nook.

I wish I loved housework as much as I love my outdoor spaces!

Robin

frida

Your garden “nook” sounds lovely Robin! Enjoy… :wave:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Pingpongfan

I do like watching the birds and squirrels and rabbits which appear in the garden although the latter two do munch the plants. I now have a new muncher, a baby groundhog, it seems to like munching the flowers. I planted some gerbera daisies in a pot and a little earlier, there was the baby groundhog in my pot eating the daisies!
                            Vena

frida

What I use to do in the spring is collect some dry straight, nice branches (also known as winter debris), brake them long as needed, to use them in the pots with freshly planted spring plants, annual or perennial, to keep them from harm. Remove them once the plants are established. I also cut chicken wire in small pieces to place on the soil surface BEFORE the branches. Actually those keep them better in place… It stops the squirrels to dig on their quest to hide the peanuts!

For the ground I have quite a few circular “cages” I fashioned of a sturdy wire mesh. Those I keep in place during the season. I haven’t lost any new plant that way!

A sprinkle of hot pepper or cayenne, or even Tabasco sauce on the ground also help! :evil:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Pingpongfan

All good ideas, Raquel. Vena

KaySilver

Hello all! And Happy Birthday Raquel, for whichever your big day is (or was)!

I’m glad you are still able to do some artwork even with your cataracts. I find creating compositions from several photos quite tricky, but that’s mostly because I’m always impatient to get to the colour part!!

That’s part of the appeal of colouring books for me – the outlining part (which I don’t much enjoy) is already done! I’ve been doing a lot of colouring books recently. You can buy books as digital downloads now, so I print onto watercolour paper and use whatever media I like. There are some really unusual books available – I’ve got one which is medieval tapestries, and one of Renaissance masterpieces (so I can repaint the Mona Lisa, or Boticelli’s Birth of Venus, and get delusions of grandeur!!) :lol:

I’m enjoying hearing about everyone’s gardens and outdoor spaces, and of course wildlife visitors. I’d love to live somewhere less built-up. Hope everyone is having a lovely week. :)

Pingpongfan

Claudia, I watch a lot of UK “Escape to the Country” shows. The scenery is stunning and there are many beautiful villages. But, it is hard to move. We would like to go to BC where the weather is milder than in Ontario. The packing and getting rid of stuff is such a daunting task. We have started in a minor way but need to make a gigantic and concerted effort. Vena

ocmd123

Your nook sounds great, Robin! I’d use a nook more than a spot in the middle of the yard, too. We have a porch we hang out on. For the wild munchers, I use something called Liquid Fence. It smells like sulfur, is completely harmless, and the deer HATE it. Haha!

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                                Instagram

Save

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.