Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics The Information Kiosk P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long), April ….. Landscape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author

Welcome everyone to our 3rd Paint-a-Long and by popular choice, the reference for this is “Vineyard by Lake Okanagan, B.C., Canada” by ColinS.
    The large version in the RIL, is here

EDIT:
    Wider version

For those not familiar to these P.A.L.s, we each paint this in our own time and show stages as we work – the aim is to help each other.
    Size and surface is up to the individual – but it must be painted in Acrylics:D

You may also choose your own method and style for this but it helps if you can describe why you might make certain choices, how you approach such a painting and what you are/are not satisfied with at any stage.

Some have expressed a desire to try knife-painting and there’s a classroom in the Information Kiosk about it: you’ll find it here – Knife painting by Gnu

OK – haven’t started yet but will begin by LOOKING at the ref closely and deciding what part I want to make important and which bit, maybe, less so!

Some questions which might cross my mind ……
    Does the comp. need ‘improving’ at all?
    Do the tones need strengthening in places?
    Is there enough contrast?
    (It helps here, if you can change your image to greyscale to view the differences more easily – alternatively SQUINT at it!):lol:

Does the image need to be cropped for my purposes? It’s in portrait rather than landscape format, will this matter to me?

Now, how am I going to paint this – that’s the question!:lol:

I used knives in oil painting many moons ago but never found success with acrylics – maybe that’s because I use so little paint with this medium ……. I actually do find it difficult to put out larger amounts and mix larger amounts – I’ve got used to titchy-tiny bits of paint and thin glazes!:eek:
    That’s something I’d like to try to remedy with this work.

So Peeps, start whenever you wish, post in stages and please, please, describe the hows, whys and wherefores if you possible can.

Let’s have some fun:D

PS – if you subscribe to this thread it will be easier to find and keep up with.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

I am so drawn to that hill with the big tree. Now I am torn between trying this and continuing with the digital pic I’m working on. Maybe in a few days I’ll take out the acrylics.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
    Every painting is a new adventure.

Oh yes, do join us Michelle ….. I know the problem with so many things on the go!!!

Well, I decided to use the left-over paint on the palette to make a base for this painting – it’s on a piece of mountboard (matboard) roughly 8″ x 12″ – so I’ve adjusted the workable area a little.
    With trepidation, I picked up a knife, picked up paint and let rip … well, let the colours mix on the area anyway!
    Here’s where I am at the moment – and this is really just a first layer underpaint – but very enjoyable!

See you tomorrow!:D

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

twobluecrows

I watched last month, but couldn’t get going quick enough, so this month I’m finally joining in!
        I decided early on that I wanted to use this one, so I’m glad it was the winner! I cropped it a bit and this is the reference I’ll be using.
        I’m using up some small 8×10 canvases for these, so I thought this would fit the canvas better, and I like the portrait orientation better, generally.

My first step in painting from a photograph is to make a value “sketch” digitally. I like to work in Photoshop and can make changes in contrast and lightness if needed before I do a sketch on the canvas.

Logic will get you from A to B; imagination will take you everywhere!--Albert Einstein

Tina Lewis

Great, I shall be starting soon.

Thanks Maureen for the hints on what to be thinking about, very useful.

Violetta

I’m gonna watch on this one. I figure I can still learn something even though I am not able to join in.

[FONT=Arial]Judy
                "I paint flowers so they will not die." Frieda Kahlo
                "Another word for creativity is courage." Matisse
                “If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.

twobluecrows

Does anyone know…do they make canvas stretchers from cedar wood? I just opened a new very sealed pair of 8×10 canvases, and as soon as I tore the plastic wrapping, I got a big whiff of cedar–just like my grandma’s closet!

Logic will get you from A to B; imagination will take you everywhere!--Albert Einstein

susme48

Not sure if I can start before the show or not….maybe AT the show? :)

[FONT="Impact"]♥ [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]§usan [FONT="Impact"]♫

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
                        "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
                        [/CENTER]
                        Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy

Here are my first few stages:

I am working on a 16×20 canvasboard.

I first did a background of cobalt blue (thanks for the suggestion April) at the top and pthalo green at the bottom.

Then I did a first glaze of the lake with some zinc white.

Then blocked in some ‘clouds’ and some colours on the landscape to get a sense of the forms and colours. I am hoping :crossfingers: to keep the colours bright and expressionistic and the brushwork kind of lively and loose to keep energy in the painting. Best laid plans etc… but we’ll see how it goes.

Might try the knife on the vine supports that have those sharp straight edges.

Found a reference for an ogopogo as well! :D

(Image from Wikimedia Commons, Timothy O’Donnell/Garth Guessman)

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Maureen – Nice under painting. You are just skipping the “ugly” stage, as usual. :)

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

yay! m glad we got started with this.. I am yet to start mine.. was working on the little guy today :).. it is done i think and I will post the update…
                        Maureen – donno what you were worried about.. its looking good.. esp like that water…
                        Colin – good job on ur blockin.. its looking good.. like your clean colors :)

C & C always welcome! :wave:
                        My Blog | My facebook
                        Bhavani

mirizar

Getting ready to start mine but having issues with the composition. It seems there are so many competing elements. I would like the vineyard to be the COI but it doesn’t work for some reason although cropping a bit off the bottom seems to help somewhat:

Or maybe this composition:

Looking forward to seeing where you go with that Maureen.

twobluecrows, that is similar to the crop I’m considering. I might try this on one of the mini canvases I picked up. They’re square though. I wonder if certain subjects suit a square format better than others?

Is ogopogo going in there Colin?

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                            Every painting is a new adventure.

cem

Haven’t been able to start mine yet. I see a couple of fine starts here though.
                                Twobluecrows…That is the same crop I was considering. Great minds think alike, right:)

Cindy
                                "Earth laughs in flowers."
                                ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

twobluecrows

–step 2–Here’s my sketch on the canvas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
                                  • The topic ‘P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long), April ….. Landscape’ is closed to new replies.