WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States
Compressor Reviews!

My hope for this thread is to provide an area of reference on Compressors for newcomers.

Please feel free to list your compressor, a review, a URL link, and as much information, as well as, opinions as you can provide. A photo would be nice if you have one.

I own a Sil Air 50-6 silent compressor that I purchased in the late 80’s. I discovered that Sil Air offered great deals on refurbished/rebuilt compressors. So I bought one of these for approximately $300.00 US. I love my Sil Air compressor! I can't tell you how much you will appreciate a silent compressor! They are, most of all, quite, portable, reliable, worry and maintenance free! I don't even hear mine most of the time! The minor maintenance involves draining the tank of moisture and watching and filling the oil level when low. Other than that, I have never had a single problem with it!!!!!! It operates about 6 to 8 hours a day.

A blurb and technical information:

Sil Air compressors are virtually "noiseless" and are totally automatic. Each unit includes a tank and line pressure gauge, line pressure regulator, moisture trap-filter-gauge, safety valve,air intake filter, and a carrying handle or easy rolling for models with wheels. Sil-Air models feature one or more heavy-duty 1/2 horsepower "AL" pumps featuring cooling fins, built-in fans, coalescent filter (for removal of traces of oil in the air tank), painted tank interior (inhibits rust) for extreme reliability and durability.

1/2 HP, 1.5 Gallon Tank

2.15 CFM Free Air

84-114 PSI Op-Pressure

Voltage: 110 V-60

Weight: 52 lbs

These compressors can be expensive but well worth the investment! There are several models available.

http://www.silentaircompressor.com/silair.htm
Attached Images

My Etsy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Hamilton New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Compressor Reviews!

Hey Sam,

Nice lookin compressor mate. I too have a silent comressor that I purchased about 1985 for $NZ900.00. It is a Jun-air and is normally marketed to dentists and the like for compressed clean air. Like Sams, this thing just never stops, all I have had to do is replace the oil and drain moisture from the tank and that is it, also like sams I hardly ever hear it. This particular compressor is made in Denmark and has a very good reputaion world wide. I priced a new one recently at a local compressor shop and they now sell for about NZ$3000.00. That was a pretty good investment I made back in the mid 80s I tell you. My one is excatly the same as the one in the pic but it has the slightlky smaller tank, and it is one heavy beast as well, not really that portable.

Stan
Attached Images

Last edited by ABStan : 06-08-2004 at 05:06 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2004, 08:08 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

I have a Sears Craftsman 12 gallon 2 HP compressor oil-less compressor.

The upside to this compressor, it's about max size to be portable. It might be a bit much for some and others may be able to get a little bigger but it fits in the back seat or trunk of most vehicles. Because it has wheels on one end and a handle on the other it's easy enough to move around. For me I can pick it up and move it up stairs although I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. The 12 gal tank size allows me to use my air-nailer and other tools on it and it allows me to turn the auto off and paint for around an hour or more (dependent on psi used) then charge my tank. This is great because I can charge my tank before everyone goes to bed or during commercial breaks and not disturb anyone in the house. This is how I get around the "loud" part. The other nice thing is that parts are readily and inexpensively available, because of the brand name you know they will be supplying parts for many years to come.

The downside, it's noisy. That's it, it's just plane noisy, I have gotten around the noise part by turning the "auto" off but if you ever forget to turn it off when you are painting and the compressor kicks on you may jump and make mistakes.

I've had my compressor for about 6 or 7 years and I am quite happy with it.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2004, 08:08 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

Other helpful threads

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193835
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193641
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174404
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45607
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147380
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105688

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Poole, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I have one of those real noisy, cheap, oil free compressors with a 1.5 tank. I've been using it for about 15 years. I keep it in a fairly sound proof box and it's been problem free in all that time. Because it's tucked away in a box I do all my spraying at one air pressure.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Corfield : 06-10-2004 at 06:30 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Bristol

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield
I have one of those real noisy, cheap, oil free compressors with a 1.5 tank. I've been using it for about 15 years. I keep it in a fairly sound proof box and it's been problem free in all that time. Because it's tucked away in a box I do all my spraying at one air pressure.

Paul.

Like Paul, I have a cheap, noisy, oil-free, 1.5HP compressor in a lined box (but with a nifty flap so I can access the regulator). I've only been using it for a few weeks in this mode but no evidence of serious overheating as yet.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield
I have one of those real noisy, cheap, oil free compressors with a 1.5 tank.

Paul.

I was a noisy compressor but for loude noise every worker was borred to work. For this I have bought the California Air Tools 5510SE. It is ultra quiet and Oil-Free 5.5-Gallon air compressor with aluminium Tank. Its powerful motor able to able to deliver 120 psi maximum pressure and 3.10 CFM at 40 psi & 2.20 CFM at 90 psi of compressed air. It is perfect compressor for quiet and silent operation because of super quiet operating system. This compressor produces only 60 dB of sound which is reduce sound polusion. https://bestaircompressorstore.com/b...ews-2017-2018/ can help you to choose the best quiet air compressor for your business.

Thank you
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Oz

Hails from United States

Great thread Cat!
Very informative!
Who woulda' thunk it?
Larry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Just a quick one,
I used to service the compressors for Hansa Aero pro in 95' here in Australia....found (to my suprise) out almost ALL the oil bath silent compressor motors were made by one company in Italy. The exception was Jun air.
As for the new line of oilfree Iwata (Simair, Sparmax, etc.) Compressors, we have been testing them for the past six years. Sadley non hold up to full time work! On the plus side for the "part timer"...they are quiet, light and will last for years. I still have the little single with an auto-shut off and I mounted a regulator...still going strong when we do demo's
Airbrush Ken
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Men fear me, women desire me

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush_ken
As for the new line of oilfree Iwata (Simair, Sparmax, etc.) Compressors, we have been testing them for the past six years. Sadley non hold up to full time work!
Could you elaborate? Like, the Iwata Power Jet? It won't hold up long? I'm still using (trying to use) my big momma one but it's just too loud for my current situation so I'm looking for something that isn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg and needs to be silent.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Ketttering,Ohio

As of today heres the best and most current the professionals are using!!! Task Force at Lowes-3hp-5.5gal.Tank-3.5cfm output-15 amps-Cost-$150 this is it no need to spend more!!! reveiw-Can't wear it out and it won't malfunction!!! Period!!!! Mikey
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Oz

Hails from United States

I have an Iwata Power Jet Pro (wish I would have bought the standard Power Jet - bigger tank!) and it seems to work just fine. Ken, what troubles have you found with these compressors?
On a side note I brew my own beer, and ALWAYS have CO2 tanks around...if I blow this little sucker up, I might just switch to "passing gas" fulltime!
Larry
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Men fear me, women desire me

How quiet is that Power Jet?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Oz

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeburp
How quiet is that Power Jet?
It's pretty quiet, and it's an agreeable sound too...more like listening to a sewing machine than a standard compressor. Most people have their TV volume set higher than the noise this thing makes.
Just wish it had a bigger tank....
Larry
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the late response,
Sparmax, the company that makes these compressors for iwata and simair have been updating some of the parts over the past few years. The main problem is the pressure release valves...they are now using the 3rd different one...we are hoping this cures the overheating problem. We found that if you are only doing illustration, models, make-up...low demand, gravity feed airbrushes they work well. The problems seem to come when you start working with larger jar feed airbrushes, such as badger 150 or Paasche VL....they require a large amount of cfm to push the paint. The biggest failer rate was with the airbrush tanning systems...again it was heat, because they take about 20 minutes to do a tan...thus the heat load was quite high.... We also ran the twin motor system with the small tank and found the covered models suffered from poor heat release... all the ones used with the TAFE colleges failed after about 2 years. All the covered twins we used in the studio also failed after about the same time. I have updated several customers pressure release switch and drop the electric pressure switch to 60 psi max and it seems to have solved the problem. The last few new compressors we got from the factory have also droped the pressure switch to 60 psi.... If you own one now that goes up to 80psi, it's simple to change. Just PM me and I'll send you a tech sheet (pdf) on how to do it.

Regards
Ken