WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States
Indian brave and maiden

This is an acrylic painting that I finished this month. I would be very glad to receive your C&Cs on it. I haven't posted on this forum in a very long time, but I do enjoy doing Native American art, as that is my heritage.

Thanks for looking!
Lois
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
new mexico usa

Re: Indian brave and maiden

i love the background here--the montains and trees--and the aspens in the foreground, as well. i like the faces (the woman's head seems a bit short on top, though); i didn't like them at first, but they grew on me!

what bothers me about this painting is the positioning of the figures--there doesn't seem to be enough room under her for her legs--she almost seems to be floating. and the "brave" must be standing in a hole or something--i can't determine where the bottom half of his torso and his legs may be. can i suggest how to go about "fixing" that? no.

love the colors!

(do native americans really wear those headbands-with-a-feather like this? i thought that was a hollywood thing. my bad, i guess!).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

I never have been good at painting people. Yes, I really would like some suggestions on how to "fix" the figures in this one. I take the suggestions that I receive here and re-do the painting, or apply what I have learned to future paintings.

Yes, the native Americans did wear headbands and feathers...and still do at the Pow-Wows. The maidens only wear one feather...it will be on the left side of the headband (near the heart) if they are looking for a mate, and it will be on the right side if they are already taken, and the older (mature) women wear the feather in the middle. I still go to Pow-Wows, and I wear my feather straight up in the middle, as I am a very mature woman...I'm 80 years old!

Thanks for your honest, and thoughtful, critique. I really do appreciate it!

Lois
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
new mexico usa

i appreciate your gracious response to my comments. i was hoping someone with more expertise than i have would come along and educate us both;-).

(i've been to powwows throughout the rocky mountains and don't recall having seen the upright-feather-in-the-headband anywhere. i've seen plenty of feathers hanging from the hair--and i'd heard a similar concept to what you said about marital availability, etc. regarding the hanging feather [although some "indian maidens"--and their grandmothers--said that was hogwash!]. but i've never been to powwows in the east. interesting to learn!).

happy painting!

--ann
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I really like the feel of this. There is a lot going on in the painting and that may be what you feel unsure about. It is hard to determine where the man's body is. The depth on the mountains is good and I love your colors. Nice faces. Keep painting, we learn something with every effort, right? I am medicare age, too, and really enjoy painting. How big is the painting?
Winston Churchill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Sorry, Ann, that I haven't gotten back to you. Thanks for your interest in my painting and in my heritage.

I believe this painting is 12x18, or there-abouts. I started painting when I was 60, and I am still enjoying it at 80 years young! Thanks for you nice comments. I will try to put more detail in the boy's body if I do this painting again.

Lois