Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Best paperboard for lanscape pastelling?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AgathaMilsom

Hi all I am doing a plein air pastel painting in a couple of weeks. Can you recommend a really nice high quality board or paper I can use? I am used to using fairly low quality sketchbook tinted paper but I want something a bit nicer :)

Donna T

Hi Agatha and welcome to Pastels! There are so many high quality papers for pastel painters to choose from! Have you tried Canson Mi-Teintes? Many of us start out on that (and most prerfer the smooth side.) It’s not a sanded surface so you have to be light-handed as you build layers. I recently tried Pastel Mat and like it very much. It’s not sanded but it has a soft surface that grabs an amazing amount of pastel and allows for many layers. Maybe when you go out plein air painting you can use your sketchbook paper to work out your design and composition before committing it to the nicer paper. I hope you enjoy the experience!

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

water girl

Welcome! I agree with everything Donna said. We all start with Canson paper. The paper comes in many colors and you will find the color you prefer. It is suggested that you pad Canson, by putting one or two pieces of paper (a little thicker than Newsprint) behind it.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

kcwhitney

You can start with a little Canson Mi-Teintes, but don’t buy a lot of it. You’ll soon realize that sanded paper works much better. Try Uart 400 when you can.

(Art) "... isn’t a thing you set out to do and succeed in. It’s a thing that gets at you, that nags at you—and haunts you—so that you’ve got, sooner or later, to make terms with it. And then, for a bit, you get some peace—until the whole thing starts over again.”"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.