Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Inexpensive board for mounting U-Art paper?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kalibahlu

Hi all! I’m working on 17×23 U-Art paper taped to gator board and, of course, it’s curling at the edges. Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive (key word!) but acid-free, mounting board that will work to mount this paper (using 3M 568 Positionable Mounting Adhesive, unless you have a better suggestion… I’m always open to advice!). It only needs to be heavy enough to lay flat while working, not for framing or anything. Thank you for your help!

Donna T

I didn’t even know that such a thing as Positional Mounting Adhesive existed. So you are looking for something temporary – not a permanent way to affix the paper to the board?

Donna
            C&C Always Welcome

kalibahlu

Hi Donna :) Thank you for replying, and sorry it’s taken a while to get back.

I guess I’m interested in both permanent and temporary solutions. Using the mounting adhesive on an inexpensive board would be permanent, but if there’s a good temporary solution, I’m happy with that, too.

If fixing to board is the only way to keep U-Art paper flat, then the board would need to be inexpensive, because I can’t spend a fortune on boards just for experimental or practice pieces that are just for me. If it’s for someone, then I don’t mind paying for a board, but just trying to keep costs in general, so I was just wondering if anyone else has come across a good source of inexpensive mounting board that makes it practical for everyday use, or how other pastel artist deal with the problem.

After posting, I’ve since tried using a couple rows of masking tape and kept the wash as dry as possible, and had good luck, so that’s an option. It may be that other artists doing wet washes always buy the pre-mounted or don’t mind spending a lot on each piece that they do. So I’m just trying to find out what other artists do.

kalibahlu

Donna, your work is beautiful! :)

kedwards

Is a drawing board an option for use to mount while painting? Initial cost is more, but it is strong, holds up better to getting wet, and is reusable.

Kim
                        c&c is always welcome
                        http://KBEdwards.com

kalibahlu

Thanks for your reply :) I have Gator Board and Incredible Art Board, but it’s the U-Art paper that doesn’t hold up to wet washes, it gets ripply. Tape won’t hold it flat unless I keep the washes very thin and light.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.