WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Just 6 colours - choose yours now!
White or Buff Titanium 57 13.54%
Cool Yellow 184 43.71%
Mid Yellow 163 38.72%
Warm Yellow (including Quinacridone Gold) 194 46.08%
Orange (including Quinacridone Burnt Orange) 50 11.88%
Warm Red 240 57.01%
Cool Red 157 37.29%
Quinacridone Rose or Red 157 37.29%
Quinacridone Magenta or Violet 76 18.05%
Purple 29 6.89%
Warm Blue 311 73.87%
Cool Blue 298 70.78%
Other Blue 36 8.55%
Turquoise 45 10.69%
Blue - Green 47 11.16%
Yellow - Green 40 9.50%
Yellow earth colour (inc. yellow ochre, raw sienna etc) 122 28.98%
Burnt Sienna 219 52.02%
Other Brown or earth colour 77 18.29%
Bistre, Mixed Grey or Black 43 10.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#256   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Re: Just 6 colours

Handprint says that py151 and py154 are very similar, and it doesn't say one is more intense than the other so I'd rather not. (No money for it anyways)

Cadmium yellow is on my wishlist, but you're right that it's a waste for a limited palette.

Ah, but you see, if I darken my green with a third pigment, then that's just making a green normally and thus no longer a (two pigment) easy green™. Ooh, maybe I should make my own green mix and name it 'easy green'.

Indian yellow would certainly give me said green, but it's really a yellow-orange, so then I'd be lacking a yellow for daffodils and lemons~~

I was making this palette for fun initially but now I'm seeing it as a nice base palette, to be extended by my larger palette if needed. It's a 12 half pan tin I'm putting this in, but I'm using 6 full pans. The full pans were just to limit me to 6 colours at first, but now I'm liking how they're bigger for my brushes.

So I'd like for these colours to work for most things, but I'll be able to pull out another palette with 18 additional colours if necessary. Or maybe 17 colours plus one guest colour slot. We'll see. Maybe I should start a separate palette building thread for this.
  #257   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleur
Ooh, maybe I should make my own green mix and name it 'easy green'.

Yes, you could mix a small quantity at first to see how well it works in practice - and if you like it - then make a full whole pan.
  #258   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 AM

here is my choice...

Titanium White (PW6)
Mid Yellow (PY154)
Pyrole Orange RS (PO73)
Quin Magenta (PR122)
Phthalo Turquoise (PB16)
Burnt Sienna (PBr 7)

This should be a good all purpose palette. The white is a special color and should only be use in special cases, so this is technically a 5 color palette..

If you want to use a white as a normal color, Buff Titanium would be more useful since you can using it as skin tone by itself..

Last edited by calvin_0 : 06-09-2019 at 04:09 AM.
  #259   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 AM
Lord of the Arts

Prussian Blue
Hansa Yellow
Pyrrol Red
Burnt Sienna
Yellow Ochre
Cobalt Violet

The first three are essentials, the second three are bonus colors.
  #260   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCrow
Prussian Blue
Hansa Yellow
Pyrrol Red
Burnt Sienna
Yellow Ochre
Cobalt Violet

The first three are essentials, the second three are bonus colors.

what version of cobalt violet dark or light? and what exact hansa yellow i heared many pigments selled such name.
  #261   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Slovakia/Czech republic

Hails from Czech Republic

And now for something different! I found myself a lovely, versatile and naturalistic palette made of modern pigments. Quick and instinctive mixingwith focus on animal/plant subjects was one of the main criteria for this palette, paints are all Schmincke Horadam.

PY 154, PY 42, PB 60, PB 16, PBr 41, PV 19 (and pw6: titanium white, because I said so.)
edit: colors on the showcase piece are duller especially in the yellow/red area due to scanner, but it's possible to mix super bright oranges, greens, blues and very decent reds and purples with this palette.
Attached Images

Comments and critiques welcome and strongly appreciated, unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by kailavmp : 07-03-2019 at 10:44 AM.
  #262   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:50 AM

PY150
PV19/PR122
PB15:3/ PB27 /PB16
PB60 or indigo
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Sienna

this has worked for me in landscapes. i rarely need bright oranges there or bright reds other than when throwing in few flowers into the landscape.

Py150 produces a lot of amazing greens and they can be toned down a bit with BS to give more natural shades.

i prefer indantrone or even indigo to ultramarine. i haven't felt any handicap with not having ultramarine. indantrones and indigo also help produce some wonderful darks

i find myself going for yellow ochre more than i thought i would. it is good for land, sand, wood as well as throwing in some glow to the sky or even making roads a bit sunlit.

BS gives good dark greys and blacks with indigo/indantrone and wonderful rich violet/purples with PV19

PB15/Pb16 make wonderful shades to paint water.

Last edited by frozenn_a : 07-14-2019 at 03:17 AM.
  #263   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenn_a
PY150
PV19/PR122
PB15:3/ PB27 /PB16
PB60 or indigo
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Sienna

I'm curious; which two pigments for your last two? Could be PY 42 or PY 43 for the yellow ochre and I'm definitely curious whether you use a PR101 or PBr7 burnt sienna.
  #264   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailavmp
And now for something different! I found myself a lovely, versatile and naturalistic palette made of modern pigments. Quick and instinctive mixingwith focus on animal/plant subjects was one of the main criteria for this palette, paints are all Schmincke Horadam.

PY 154, PY 42, PB 60, PB 16, PBr 41, PV 19 (and pw6: titanium white, because I said so.)
edit: colors on the showcase piece are duller especially in the yellow/red area due to scanner, but it's possible to mix super bright oranges, greens, blues and very decent reds and purples with this palette.

Petra, I love this choice of 6! I think I have all these Schmincke colors and am going to throw them in a little tin and play with this combo for awhile (especially since I'm headed to a bird watercolor workshop in a couple weeks).
  #265   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinacridone Gold
My question was more of a curiosity thing. I don't own the box, but am curious about colour choices. 20 is easy. So is 12 really, but 6 is more of a challenge - what 6 colours could you limit yourself to.

I agree that for me too Ultramarine Blue would be in there, and Quinacridone Gold, Permanent Red Deep, Burnt Sienna, and probably Goethite and Buff Titanium.

I think ultramarine blue has become too much of a cliché color and one gains in avoiding it. It’s a nice color, but it’s simply overused. I have tried to drop it from my self-chosen palettes and substitute indigo, cobalt blue and cerulean.

Edmund