WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1561   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Sarasota, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Hi Deborah,

I for one would love a link solely on Pan Pastels. I'm waiting for my pure colors of pans to arrive. Would you be the one to start the new discussion thread? When can you start? Thanks for suggesting it. Cali
  #1562   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I did! The title is PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration.

I hope it turns out to be fun and helpful for folks. And maybe not as long as this thread!
Gouache Blog
  #1563   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Myrtle Creek, OR

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Secor
I'm so glad you all found my demos (the video and at IAPS) helpful and inspirational! Thank you...I'm delighted to hear it.

I think sometimes when a thread gets this long people just figure they can't possibly read it all and walk away! I mean, 1559 posts is a lot of reading... Maybe it would be smart to start another discussion thread where we can go over the basics again and continue posting work. This one won't go away, of course, and we should most certainly link from it, and back to it, in a new thread. What do you think? Is that a good idea?

Yes, please.

P
  #1564   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Done, Phil! See above...and join us.
Gouache Blog
  #1565   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
Guwahati, India

Hails from India
Thumbs up Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Magnificent thread with a the best information on Panpastels

Tirtha Sankar Bharadwaj.

#1566   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

I've copied a closed version of this thread to our materials archive So folk can find it more easily!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #1567   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Reisterstown, MD

Hails from United States

Hi Donna Thank you so much for your beautiful paintings and the info about pan pastels, techniques and advice..I recently bought some P-Pas. and I'm on a voyage of discovery and fun..I have the soft Pas in various brands in stick form and I am really in love with the pastel mat for these P-Pas. I tried the Reves Silk finish printing paper for grins and giggles and wow I LOVE the lumenius colors of these pans..Thank you again, I am going to have more beginer questions as I go along..How are the Pans for Plein air work?? Linda
  #1568   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Linda, I know Donna will be just delighted with your comments, but I thought I'd let you know that she hasn't been very active on WetCanvas recently. I just checked and the last time she visited was in May--which doesn't mean she won't drop in here suddenly! (Hope so! Hi Donna, if you're here! )

I paint with my Pans on location a lot. I love the flexibility of having a whole range of colors that are mixable. I have the trays, which make it so convenient. Your colors are always where you expect them to be. It takes a little getting used to working outside with them, so I often suggest that you get your techniques in a row before stepping out the door. I like to work with a very quick drawing using one of the 'paintbrush' tools, and then catch the big shapes with a large sponge before locating the details.

Enjoy!
Gouache Blog
  #1569   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Reisterstown, MD

Hails from United States

Thankyou Deborah! I wasn't sure who would respond and I'm glad and grateful for any advice..I did get the plastic "pallet" set up for my pans..and I'm learning how to use the tools,color mixing , and my last challenge will be plein air.. Linda
  #1570   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Jonesboro, AR

Hails from United States
Question Re: Having a BALL using Pan Pastels!!!

Does anyone know if you can use Pan Pastels over acrylics?

I haven't tried them yet. I ordered some a few days ago and am looking forward to using them.

Website
  #1571   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Paradise CA

Hails from United States

I'm very new to art. Having a hard time with clouds over paper toned with pan pastel. I use the sofft tool to draw in a cloud, but the white mixes with blue.
Can someone please help?
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
  #1572   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

When you're having trouble putting light colors over dark, it helps to use a kneaded eraser and lift enough color to get back close to the white of the paper. That's my first suggestion. Works well on any paper.

Second suggestion - try working with tints rather than just white. I build up pale clouds by alternating green tints, orange tint, violet tint, to get a softly shimmering gray, sometmes also including pink or yellow tint or yellow ochre tint. Once I have te clouds sculpted with a strong light and shadow division, more cool colors on the shadows, more warm colors on the light, I can go in on the light side with white over that mix and get a near white mixture. Sometimes I'll double dip white and a tint to get near whites.

It's also very good to trail wisps of white or light tints out into the blue of the sky, that gives a natural misty look to the clouds. Give them soft edges that are irregular trailing out into the blue, especially in the direction of the wind. Think of clouds as having volume, three dimensional objects that aren't solid at all but loose and vaporous things that change constantly and show how the air moves. You can show a lot with clouds.

Some clouds in shadow may be darker than the blue sky at times, a grayed violet-blue. Paynes Grey tint and a little Violet Tint can give a gorgeous color for that and trail out over the blue with that tint. Look at the values of the Pans you have. If you don't have the right value pick up White, then Color, then White again. Load the sponge or tool three times before each stroke, especially on later layers.

To get them to float over earlier layers, load three times and pat once without dragging the sponge. Load again and place another stroke. Patted strokes are more likely to deliver color over color but Pans are translucent more than opaque stick pastels.

Last, if you're still not satisfied, you can scumble a stick over the Pans to highlight the brightest areas of the clouds, either keeping the texture of the stick accent or going over that again with white Pan Pastel to soften it.

Lots of things you can do. Hope this helps!

I could comment a little more specifically if you post what you have in the thread. It's easier to see what's going on. I used to get my skies way too dark using pure Ultramarine at the start, but have since lightened up. If you plan clouds at the start and sketch around where they'll go next time you could underlay the clouds with White and put tints or colors over the white to get lighter clouds.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 05-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
  #1573   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Quote:
lovingmylife I'm very new to art. Having a hard time with clouds over paper toned with pan pastel. I use the sofft tool to draw in a cloud, but the white mixes with blue.
Can someone please help?

Hi! Robert has some great ideas. Another important thing that you can do to make strong clouds is loading up the sponge tool with 3 strokes of pale color or white and lay on the stroke ONCE! Then load up the sponge tool again and lay on ONE more stroke, then load-stroke-load-stoke, etc! This gives you the maximum amount of color impact. I know that it is so easy to load the sponge and then keep stroking and stroking till the sponge tool is empty, but this won't give you the strong color you need.

I'm wondering if the original some 1500+ posts of this thread are stored somewhere. There is sooo much about using the PanPastels that can really help an artist. Take good care! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #1574   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinwc
I completed (at least, I think it's completed) my next PanP. This one was done on approx. 9 x 12 white Canson MiTientes. After I did the underpainting (also in Pans), I put a coat of clear Colourfix primer on it and then started adding detail. After I'd finished (the first time), I felt like it could use a little more "dash", so I got out my sticks...the Extra Soft AS whites and a bit of GA colors...to put in some punch. I maybe could have done the same thing with the Pans, but I was just dying to use the sticks as I haven't used them until now. I posted both the "before sticks" and "after sticks".

I'm SO addicted! I welcome criticism and comments. I have not put any fixative on this and may decide not to???

Judith

Just Pans

After adding stick highlights

Wow. This is stunning. Love the water and the reflections..
  #1575   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 PM

Judith - Your reflections are especially lovely. I am new to pan pastels, and many of my first attempts ended up very muddied looking. So far, I have found the pans most useful for underpaintings and selective glazing as a topmost layer. I definitely like using them in combination with my sticks. Cheryl