WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: All FINI

Great stuff! Your work reminds me of the great tradition of British political satirical cartooning. I just had a look again at James Gillray's cartoons. In colour no less, given his work was over 200 years ago.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Kolinsky,

Thanks so much for the complimentary comparison. I wasn't aware of Gillray, but now that I've looked at it I'll be spending some time in research because the surreal quality is definitely in his work as well.
This process of going from portraiture using references, to whimsical, to political has changed everything for me. It's been a complete mental shift not only in how I create artwork but more importantly - why I create artwork. I've always marveled at artists who have truly found a style. They create work that is obviously theirs and they make no apologies for what or how it's made. Before I felt like I had a skill. I could use colored pencils like paint to mimic a reference photo to near photographic quality. Now I see my work and feel like I can finally say, "This is me".
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeber
Kolinsky,

Thanks so much for the complimentary comparison. I wasn't aware of Gillray, but now that I've looked at it I'll be spending some time in research because the surreal quality is definitely in his work as well.
This process of going from portraiture using references, to whimsical, to political has changed everything for me. It's been a complete mental shift not only in how I create artwork but more importantly - why I create artwork. I've always marveled at artists who have truly found a style. They create work that is obviously theirs and they make no apologies for what or how it's made. Before I felt like I had a skill. I could use colored pencils like paint to mimic a reference photo to near photographic quality. Now I see my work and feel like I can finally say, "This is me".

It's a great thing for an artist to find their voice, one to which they can apply their skill, bravo! Perhaps you'll enjoy this episode of "The Secret of Drawing" episode 2, roughly from the 15:58 to 22:28 it goes over the arc of political cartooning, touching upon Gillray, and also the grandfather of them all, Hogarth. Cheers!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Thanks for the video link! There are now a total of 7 in the series. I have people asking about prints. I've never created prints from work before. The research I've done makes me anxious about the expense vs. the pay off. Giclee seems to the way to go to get the detail but the scanning fees and 30 - 50 bucks per print makes the expense of a print for customers around 125 bucks minimum. That seems high and I don't know if I'd end up making the initial investment back. I DON'T want to sell the originals. Any advice in this area?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeber
Thanks for the video link! There are now a total of 7 in the series. I have people asking about prints. I've never created prints from work before. The research I've done makes me anxious about the expense vs. the pay off. Giclee seems to the way to go to get the detail but the scanning fees and 30 - 50 bucks per print makes the expense of a print for customers around 125 bucks minimum. That seems high and I don't know if I'd end up making the initial investment back. I DON'T want to sell the originals. Any advice in this area?

Yes, making prints can be an expensive process. I did it with photos, and they too were about 125 - 175 when sold, just covering my costs and the percentage to the gallery - tiny profit. I'm not sure how it could be done more economically. Maybe in the business forum there could be some advice?